Modifying my Bob Lee recurve grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying my Bob Lee recurve grip

My Satori has an aftermarket Rcore grip. Flat, medium grip, with texture bumps on it. Makes for a very solid, very stable, non-slip grip, zero torque hold. I never torque this bow.

My Bob Lees are great bows. But my hand does not quite "fit" the grip. I get inconsistent shots from occasionally torquing the bow. Was thinking of using Sugru to basically build a "flat" on the grip trying to duplicate the Rcore shape of my Satori grip.

Anybody ever done that?

I'd talk to Rob and see if they could modify it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man I wouldn’t to be honest I’ve regretted grinding on every bow I’ve ever done it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
        Man I wouldn’t to be honest I’ve regretted grinding on every bow I’ve ever done it to

I’ve reshaped one riser and it was the best thing that ever happened to that bow!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post

No grinding. No removing wood.

Sugru is a silicone glue that sets up a tad firmer than average silicone caulk. It's supposed to be removalbe. Lots of olymptic type "skinnie" grips are modified with Sugru.

Comment

If it’s removable, you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A friend wrapped his grip in Saranwrap and then applied Sugru over it. It was molded around the edges of the riser enough that the Sugru didn’t shift once dry, but also allowed it to be temoved later down the line without damaging the bow. Not sure if that would work for what you have in mind, but it might.

Comment

Maybe but it's not gonna do anything for the looks of a custom bow.

Comment

I've successfully reshaped a couple of mine with a four way wood rasp and sandpaper. One riser I completely refinished afterward and the other one I simply Tru Oiled the spot I reshaped.

Best thing I did to both of them. It's no fun shooting bows with a grip that doesn't fit perfectly.

Comment

After I met Arvin, I have not been afraid to take a rasp to a bow. Rasp, sand then add Tru Oil.

Comment

Screw that. That's what I paid the bowyer for.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        Screw that. That's what I paid the bowyer for.

I absolutely hear ya! But unless you're present when your bowyer is making the mods he's likely not gonna get it perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          I'd talk to Rob and see if they could modify it.

Thats as good as it gets...He's a great guy.. Jacksonville aint that far from NACOG...last I knew he was hunting in Douglass
                          Last edited by cva34; 02-15-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BernieH View Post
                            I absolutely hear ya! But unless you're present when your bowyer is making the mods he's likely not gonna get it perfect.
                            Yeah but a custom bow is many times as much a work of art as a tool. If not just get a phenolic or aluminum riser and black glass limbs.
                            To each his own but I didn't get randy to build me a pretty bow to intentionally mar that beauty. Now scratches and dings from hunting are a different story. But taking a rasp to it, not my style.
                            Now on a Samick or Black Hunter, yeah. Not near as much invested.

Comment

Ha! You'd be hard pressed to actually see the mods on the risers I've modified not because they're so small but because they are very well done.

I'd just as well live with a bad fitting handle as mar it.

Comment

Working...
                              X