Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 08-03-2021, 01:37 AM   #1
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camo that doesn't match
Default Chair for ground hunting (portable + all day sits)

This video really got me thinking!

I normally hunt from a tree saddle 95% of the time, but lately Iíve been finding some spots that donít have any good trees, and with some out of state draw hunts Iíve got coming up this year I wanna maximize my potential.

I really want a Waldrop pac seat but I canít really justify $300 for a chair when Iíve got what I would guarantee to be more comfortable packs.
I currently have an alps swivel chair but it weighs nearly 20lbs, and with the triangular seat itíll cut off circulation after a while. Iíll be using this with no blind, similar to the video (which worked awesome for turkey). Iíll be hunting with a recurve so a turkey seat is a no go!

Anyone tried one of those foldable backpacking chairs like these?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QMPJR8D...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Iíve seen the millennium tree seat as well but in grassy areas it ainít really feasible.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
Blank
Eight Point

Hunt In: Entire Mountain West, South Texas

Name:  75745287-B92D-46B3-A492-58ADF89AADBC_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  65.4 KB

For comfort and convenience, I use portable tripod folders. Keep you about 18" off the ground, no snakes, bugs, ants, ticks to worry about. Only weigh about 2-3#. Perfect height for me to sit all day in a ground blind or behind my spotting scope. Only cost between $10-20, for good ones that are rated for 250#.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

I bought a Millennial G100 tripod chair with adjustable legs and swivel seat last year. Legs are removable and storable in a sack on the back for transport. It was expensive. But it is really comfortable for really long sits. Light weight too! If you have any experience with their fishing/boating seat or tree stands, you'll know what I'm talking about. The more comfortable I am hunting, the longer I can hunt.

https://millennium-outdoors.com/prod...oting-chair-2/

Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-03-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
hrdwrkncwby76
Ten Point

Hunt In: public land

Iíve kept an eye on the Chama chairs too. Still waiting to pull the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hrdwrkncwby76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 AM   #5
Shaun
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I really like the looks of that Waldrop chair. But your right, 300 for it is a little steep for though. I've been using a low to the ground PBS $30 Turkey hunting chair for about three years and it works great. But it finally broke at the end of last year. I just went to order another and see BPS doesn't carry them any more.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I bought a Millennial G100 tripod chair with adjustable legs and swivel seat last year. Legs are removable and storable in a sack on the back for transport. It was expensive. But it is really comfortable for really long sits. Light weight too! If you have any experience with their fishing/boating seat or tree stands, you'll know what I'm talking about. The more comfortable I am hunting, the longer I can hunt.

Do the straps on the sides get in the way of drawing?

My problem with a some of these is that Iím hunting with a 64 inch recurve so Iíve either gotta learn to shoot it totally sideways or get a little higher off the ground
Old 08-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby86 View Post
Do the straps on the sides get in the way of drawing?

My problem with a some of these is that Iím hunting with a 64 inch recurve so Iíve either gotta learn to shoot it totally sideways or get a little higher off the ground
The straps haven't bothered me. But at it's highest leg settings, I'm not sure if it would be tall enough for a trad bow. You're welcome to meet and try mine out sometime.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Old 08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Best seat Iíve found for bow hunting off the ground is a 5 gallon bucket. Although sometimes a comfy seat would be nice but getting uncomfortable time to time on a bucket keeps you from falling asleep in the blind
diamond10x is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #9
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

We use these for public land: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ridg...-hunting-chair

Cheap and light and effective.

I bought the wife a Millennium M100 and it's nice, but way too bulky to carry for any sort of actual distance. It's been used a grand total of twice in about two years.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #10
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Those little triangle stools are the absolute worst for me. Any seat with no back rest makes it hard to sit very long, and the triangle deal cuts off circulation in my legs. The expensive Chama triangle has a back (that's too short) and is bigger, but still not comfortable for me.

The Millenium G100 is the best chair I've ever had. Love mine. I pack a couple 6'x20' camo nets under the seat in the frame. Chair is very portable and easy to pack up and carry with the shoulder strap. With the camo nets, I can set up a ground blind in about 2 minutes anywhere I want it. Great chair. It's great inside a popup too.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 07:42 PM   #11
Romulan
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I used to use the tripod stools and just post up next to a tree for back rest - worked great and have deer rollup on me several times within 30 yards.

Since I've found this https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/gam...=realtree-xtra I don't use the stools anymore. Having the back support and being almost just as light as the stools ... you can't beat it - I'll be using it this year with my ghostblind.

Although I've wanted to try the discontinued chairs of Sittinghawk and A-Rest hunting chairs - I bet you could make one out of tubing or even wood.
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 07:47 PM   #12
Romulan
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Lands

I've been wanting to also try the Hammock hunting chairs - I think Fanatic Outdoors makes them...also there's some overseas knockoffs on amazon for less than half the cost of what they're charging ... again if you're inclined I bet you could make these too...?
Romulan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 01:58 PM   #13
kdm015
Four Point

Hunt In: North Texas

do you guys have much success hunting from the ground vs trees? I hate lugging my stand in and have not gotten on the saddle wagon yet
kdm015 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #14
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm015 View Post
do you guys have much success hunting from the ground vs trees? I hate lugging my stand in and have not gotten on the saddle wagon yet
We hunt 90% on the ground at Amistad, yes to success.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-11-2021, 03:59 PM   #15
Buddylee
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Anderson, Walker, & Webb counties

What is he using those PCV pipe stakes for?
Buddylee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #16
kdm015
Four Point

Hunt In: North Texas

i think you stick them in the ground and put some brush in them
kdm015 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 04:37 PM   #17
Kirby86
Ten Point

Default Chair for ground hunting (portable + all day sits)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee View Post
What is he using those PCV pipe stakes for?

Bring a machete (or big knife) cut brush and bungee it to the pvc. It gives you just enough cover to breakup your outline to draw.

When I first started hunting public land I forgot my pull up rope for my bow, so I just covered my climber with leaves and sat on the ground on my butt.

I was wearing a full leafy Asat suit but I had a group of 5 does come within about 10 yards. It was pretty eye opening. Of course, they spooked when I drew, and then I misjudged the yardage when they circled back around and shot right over her back.

The trick Iíve seen is making sure your outline is broke up, and being able to draw, which the pvc helps with.

My biggest issues are weight, comfort and seat height. Since Iím hunting with trad gear it makes things harder. But I also know if Iím not comfortable, I tend to move a lot. Ive killed deer out of ground blinds on public but it required either the perfect setup or leaving the blind out longer than I wanted to (within legal areas) or without someone stealing it. Deer seem to take a while to get used to them. I tried a ghost blind too but if the wind moved it, deer went nuts.

I have a 3 legged alps swivel chair I may try after all, but I know after a while it starts to kill my legs. I may try one of the backpacking chairs Iíve seen, but the issue with them seems to be if you have uneven ground, youíre in trouble. The 3 legged seat with a back makes the most sense, but after about 4-5 hours my legs kill me.

Portability is a big issue for me, and the big reason for this post. I got drawn for Mcalester, and in the event that I donít find a suitable tree for the sign I find, Iím hoping I can just stash the chair and those pvc poles alongside my saddle platform in my pack without much of a weight penalty to give me the most mobile option.
Old 08-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #18
Johnny44
Ten Point

Hunt In: https://miamoo.org/

Sit all day on a tripod seat might make you sterile
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 04:45 PM   #19
BobbyJoe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sabine County

This. Only weighs a couple pounds, light enough to strap to a backpack or carry over your shoulder. Allows you to ground hunt while minimizing your profile and itís incredibly easy to build a brush blind big enough to conceal you.

My go to for turkey hunting.
Attached Images

BobbyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-12-2021, 11:01 PM   #20
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJoe View Post
This. Only weighs a couple pounds, light enough to strap to a backpack or carry over your shoulder. Allows you to ground hunt while minimizing your profile and itís incredibly easy to build a brush blind big enough to conceal you.

My go to for turkey hunting.

Iíd have to shoot that recurve gangsta style
Old 08-13-2021, 08:57 AM   #21
Chad C
Pope & Young

I bought a couple of these and we used the heck out of them last year!

Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #22
BDann
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kansas, all over Texas

The Waldrop seat is the best I’ve ever used. Very comfortable, and light weight. It’s also really handy to be able to lean it against a tree without using the back legs. You won’t be disappointed with one.
BDann is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #23
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
I bought a couple of these and we used the heck out of them last year!

Yep, same one Shane and I use.

Kirby, I gotta pocket knife and can shorten that bow for ya.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:56 AM   #24
killerbee
Pope & Young

I have two that are like the redneck blind chair but they are made of aircraft aluminum. Unfortunately that co sold to redneck and no longer makes the aluminum version.
killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #25
Kirby86
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Yep, same one Shane and I use.

Kirby, I gotta pocket knife and can shorten that bow for ya.

If you could shorten my DL while youíre at it that might help too.

When I worked at the bow shop one of the other techs found some sort of calculator called ďape factorĒ. Iím 6ft tall. WellÖ my wingspan is 77 1/2. So my wingspan is 5 1/2 inches longer than I am tall. I can scratch my knee without bending over . On a compound I shoot a 31.5 inch DL. Anything less than 62 inch recurve stacks like crazy!

Anyhow, anyone have any experience with Tidewe? Iíve seen Dan Infalt with some of their stuff so I wasnít sure. They have this chair apparently.

https://www.tidewe.com/products/tide...hoCA3IQAvD_BwE
Old 08-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #26
Ender
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque,hill counties, anywhere i can

I just use a Walmart dove hunting chair. Strap it to my backpack and roll on
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top