School Me - PINS Travel Trailer Beach Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School Me - PINS Travel Trailer Beach Camping

Thinking about taking my F250 and 28’ bumper pull camper (5300lbs) camping down PINS.

Get away from crowds for the most part for two nights.

Who has done this?

Do’s?

Don’ts?

How far down can I travel safely without getting chance of sticking the truck?

Anything particular to pack other than basics - water, generator, fishing gear, food, beach stuff, etc.

Any help and info is much appreciated!!!

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually dont see trailers past mile 10, most pack out the first couple hundred yards. Really dependent on the sand. canopy, firewood. baby powder is good for cleaning off sand, id get a carpet mat or something, have also used pesticide-style spray bottles with water for cleaning as well. 1.5" pvc for rod holders (if you suck the air out the top, its drives in easier than hammer just dont do it in front of your friends)

Comment

Should be good outside of what trjones just extra water and fuel. Maybe a shovel or two and 2 recovery traction tire ladders just in case. Other than that just patience for the drive.

Comment

Anchor & a winch might come in handy. Never been down there so that's about all I got.

Comment

It really depends. I've been down there where you could haul the whole rig to the jetty in 2 wheel drive and when your truck by itself would get stuck as soon as it leaves the blacktop. Be careful to watch the tides and try to do your driving at low tide. If it were me I wouldn't venture very far with a big trailer, recovery is extremely expensive and there's sometimes not much beach to even turn around. Look out for snakes, they'll use your trailer and truck for cover.

Comment

Go the the 8 mile mark where the sign is and check the sand.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

You don’t see campers down PINS for a reason. I think you’d be stuck before you got too much past the 7 mile marker. Only other way you “might” get down is if you go on low tide and ride the packed sand…..until you hit a soft spot, then you might as well total the camper cause you ain’t getting out before the tide comes back in

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                You don’t see campers down PINS for a reason. I think you’d be stuck before you got too much past the 7 mile marker. Only other way you “might” get down is if you go on low tide and ride the packed sand…..until you hit a soft spot, then you might as well total the camper cause you ain’t getting out before the tide comes back in
                Kinda my thinking, we tried beach launching a 17 whaler to fish the turtle hole for red snapper, it was difficult pulling a trailer in sand

A shovel, trac-mats (4) , know how to disable the ABS / stable trac
                Extra everything ( ice, water, food, ammunition)
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-16-2022, 12:59 PM.

Comment

i grew up doing this...I wouldnt suggest it and I know that area like back of my hand.

But if you must... just pull it down to before the 4x4 marker and park on the higher end of the beach as tides here have gobbled up many a rig.

Disconnect the trailer and make runs to yarborough pass for some fishing w lures.

Try to avoid the windier days as this really fluffs the sand and makes it soft.. going in early August is best imo bc you get the flat days and winds are generally lighter w some storms that pack down the sand...

Comment

I would not do that. I’ve seen many a travel trailers rig sunk big time !!! Not a place to take a big trailer.

Comment

I went down to PINS this year for the annual cleanup. The sand was deep and soft. If you do go down there...go at low tide and get a spot then turn around while the tide is out and you have firmer sand. But it is part of "mother nature" and you know what that means.

Comment

Marking this to make sure I never buy a travel trailer from OP

You will NEVER get all the sand out of that trailer……that is just the start of your problems…..

Comment

If everyone is against where do y’all suggest beach camping but away from crowds and majority fishermen?

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                            If everyone is against where do y’all suggest beach camping but away from crowds and majority fishermen?

PINS. Bring a tent with an ac port and get a cheap window unit ac with a small inverter generator. Bring tons of fresh water for bathing, body glide and baby powder. You’ll be way ahead after not having either a totaled camper or a rusted out frame within a couple years. You can always park the camper up front and make trips down in your truck (assuming it’s 4wd)

Comment

I’ve seen trucks stuck at the entrance to PINS and 2 wheel drive cars 30 miles down the beach, driving Conditions are always changing. I believe many insurance companies don’t cover losses/towing passed the 4wheel drive sign(around 5 miles down). Getting away from crowds won’t be too hard during the week. Mostly just need the basics. Don’t forget Bug spray, if wind shifts a little west the biting bugs from the dunes can make life miserable. Cones with reflective tape to mark off your camp area. This should help folks traveling in the dark see your camp, just be sure not to park near the “road”/right of way. As close to the dunes as allows is the safest place as far as other drivers are concerned. Keep an eye for snakes, scavenging coyotes, and illegals.

Comment

Working...
                              X