This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
    He might before it’s over. You still liking this NIL ****?
    Yes and No. I do like that kids are having an opportunity to make money and I hope it makes kids stay in school in sports like basketball and baseball. I do hate there is not a governing body enforcing any of the rules, so it is truly the wild wild west out there. There was always kids getting money under the table but it was typically only 10-20% of the class in most cases. Now every kid wants to get paid, which is fine but it has turned into a free agency of a sense and the tampering is out of control.

My personal opinion is you will see a lot of coaches and staff leave the profession because of the current state of it. This model is not sustainable.

Comment

You guys think there is any truth to the Urban Meyer to UT rumors that keep popping up by the talking heads?

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
        Yes and No. I do like that kids are having an opportunity to make money and I hope it makes kids stay in school in sports like basketball and baseball. I do hate there is not a governing body enforcing any of the rules, so it is truly the wild wild west out there. There was always kids getting money under the table but it was typically only 10-20% of the class in most cases. Now every kid wants to get paid, which is fine but it has turned into a free agency of a sense and the tampering is out of control.

My personal opinion is you will see a lot of coaches and staff leave the profession because of the current state of it. This model is not sustainable.
        Agree. I wish they would cap the NIL cash amount annually for each player and bring back the sit out a year when transferring rule. The cap would not limit from other stuff like a loaned car, cloths etc but would cap the hard cash amount. Just too many gray areas and ways to finagle the system on hard cash. The transfer thing is common sense to me to sit out 1 year and would drastically help the current situation.... with exception that if coach leaves, player can as well with immediate eligibility. Def not a fan of the inner conference transfer with immediate eligibility. That screams poaching and free agency to me lol. But at this point, is what it is, i suppose.
        Last edited by Fmjag64; 05-12-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
          You guys think there is any truth to the Urban Meyer to UT rumors that keep popping up by the talking heads?
          Lol No.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapperhead94 View Post
            If a school would spend $3MM for a backup from tOSU, imagine what they'd pay for this kid?!
            This myth cracks me up, first it was 4MM. Good fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
              Lol No.
              I haven't heard anything about that lately. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                I haven't heard anything about that lately. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                I haven't either but that rumor seems to surface about every year or two lol. Plug in Saban or plug in Urban.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapperhead94 View Post
                  If a school would spend $3MM for a backup from tOSU, imagine what they'd pay for this kid?!
                  All these numbers thrown around for QE are the rumors of what the Tech Bros were going to pay. Texas isn't paying $3 million for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                    Agree. I wish they would cap the NIL cash amount annually for each player and bring back the sit out a year when transferring rule. The cap would not limit from other stuff like a loaned car, cloths etc but would cap the hard cash amount. Just too many gray areas and ways to finagle the system on hard cash. The transfer thing is common sense to me to sit out 1 year and would drastically help the current situation.... with exception that if coach leaves, player can as well with immediate eligibility. Def not a fan of the inner conference transfer with immediate eligibility. That screams poaching and free agency to me lol. But at this point, is what it is, i suppose.
                    I think NIL and the one no penalty transfer rule are both good by themselves, but instituted at the same time with no real oversight or even rules regarding NIL it has turned into the wild, wild west. It won't stay that way.

The money being poured into the players isn't sustainable year over year. Also, university presidents are going to be looking jealously at this money that is paying athletes. They are going to (already do) think that is money that could have been donated to the university for campus improvements or endowments.

Either the NCAA or the university presidents will eventually get off their asses and put some sort of oversite in place, though I doubt that it is in the form of limits on payments.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                      That is an indication of a talking head that needs ratings or a writer that needs clicks.

Comment

I like players being able to explore the opportunity to play. However, it seems this also can be telling in how good these guys really are. Some may need to sit and learn instead of hitting the door.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

[emoji848][emoji848]

Last edited by HR3; 05-14-2022, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HR3 View Post
                            [emoji848][emoji848]

Sips on the quitter high horse over on the baseball thread. That pic is awesome! Speaking of quitters!

Comment

Regarding NIL, it's pure capitalism so, in that sense, it's hard for me to disagree with. Certainly better than all the other "isms".

I can't help but think that the result, if in fact NIL payments direct the best players to the most successful programs, will be the formation of some sort of premier conference as less wealthy programs get tired of fighting an unwinnable battle. From the state of Texas, I only see UT and A&M, and maybe Tech, being able to consistently pay the price of admission into this league.

The interesting part of this scenario is whether the eyeballs will follow or if audiences will choose to watch something other than NFL Light (USFL? XFL?). Alumni will continue to watch, obviously, along with devoted t-shirt fans, but even in the case of the largest schools, only a very small fraction of the population attends those schools and the thought of untested recruits being promised large sums of money based purely on potential is distasteful to a lot of people.

While I am nowhere near being a high roller, I simply won't give as much as a penny to any NIL program that might benefit my undergrad, Baylor. Just too many other needs in this world. Honestly, I'd be prouder of alumni that gave to legitimate charitable causes that ease the suffering of needy people around the world, or even an endowment that would allow any student to attend Baylor if they so desired regardless of family wealth.

If that means Baylor competes at a lower level, then I am absolutely fine with that. And I probably won't be watching the College Premier League including the championship game. If I want to watch professional football, which I don't, I'll watch the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                                Sips on the quitter high horse over on the baseball thread. That pic is awesome! Speaking of quitters!

Max Johnson says hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X