Why pay for kids college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    College is so overrated. Granted it’s necessary for certain occupations. But if you have anything on the ball with a good work ethic you can do well. I didn’t spend one day in college and have done way better than people I know that have degrees.
    I see this often. Many of the most financially well off people I know did not go to college.

A degree certainly does not guarantee anything. What you do with it after earning it is the key.

My son has been fortunate to go on several TYHP hunts and lots of the owners of the the ranches we hunt are self employed, business owners. I tell Noah to take note of this, because he wants a ranch.

I tell him, these guys don't work for anyone, people work for them. But they also didnt just land in the 10 ring overnight. It took lots of hard work to get to their position.

Hard work is the centerpiece for any person who is successful.

Comment

Graduating college debt free was one of the biggest gifts my parents ever gave me. I think they had a good system. First, the degree had to be technical in nature, liberal arts was off the table (nothing against liberal arts, just a tough degree to get a good ROI on). I got into business school and studied accounting, got my masters in finance and graduated with my CPA. Took every class I could during the summer at the community college for my humanities, etc.

Second, they paid for A's and B's, C's and lower I would have to pay for (never had to cross that bridge). They covered most of my living expenses but not all, so I had a job most of college. Taught me early on how to budget, and how to balance fun with work.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
        wtamu
        Awesome! My daughter is heading to Ouachita in the fall to play. We are in the same situation with her college as your daughter.

Comment

I'm glad I don't have kids!!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
            Awesome! My daughter is heading to Ouachita in the fall to play. We are in the same situation with her college as your daughter.
            Good luck to her. This is my daughters last year. It will be weird when she is done. Been running all over the country for years watching her play.

Comment

I had some scholarships but my parents paid for the bulk of it and I plan to do the same if that's the route my girls choose. I have seen many coworkers that are making a good income but they struggle because of the student loan debt they racked up. If I can keep that burden off them as they are starting their careers and young married lives why wouldn't I?

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                Good luck to her. This is my daughters last year. It will be weird when she is done. Been running all over the country for years watching her play.
                Thanks and good luck to yall as well!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                  If I can keep that burden off them as they are starting their careers and young married lives why wouldn't I?
                  Because struggle is good. That’s why we have so many week people in this country. They have never had to struggle and when and if they do. They fall apart. Having to struggle teachers many important life lessons.

Comment

#1 instill confidence in your kids. Confidence that they can be successful and work hard.
                    #2 Everyone needs to be realistic. Start at a community college if necessary take business classes then if that doesn’t pan out pursue a trade.
                    #3 Set your kid up for success whichever avenue is pursued. Each kid is different, help with financial aid, scholarships, loans and if so inclined help pay for some.
                    #4 If you help pay or pay your kids need to know the value of a dollar. Be open about finances, debt to income ratios, the effects of graduating with 200k in debt, the effects of paying for their college vs. You investing in your own retirement.
                    Everyones financial situation and academic capabilities are completely different no right answer for everyone. Set your kids up for success with knowledge, responsibility, respect and a good work ethic.

Comment

My plan is for my kid to rack up tons of debt and then let the democrats forgive all student debt. Senior in high school next year so hopefully he gets in on the free money

Comment

We are saving to help with our boys future. College, Trade School, Business Capital… Whatever.

Comment

One thng that hasn't been mentioned yet is to take advantage of dual credit classes while in hish school. My daughter almost had her associates degree before she graduated college. Most of the kids in her class that wanted to had at least 30 hours before they graduated high school. This is much cheaper and in some schools even free if they make at least a B in the classes. Junior college is a great route for most kids.

Comment

My parents busted their butts to pay for my school and I'll do the same for my kids if they want to go to college.

College is definitely not for everyone. There's also some that believe that you just need to get a degree, doesn't matter from where. Depending on what job you want that is just not going to cut it at some employers. In my industry, they are hiring kids out of the good business schools. Have a finance degree from University of Phoenix???? ya you aren't even getting an interview.

Comment

My parents paid for my first 3 semesters.....well the classes that I made a B or better in at least. After that they told me I was on my own and that was the best thing that they could have ever done. Never made less than a B after that while completing my Associates degree. When it was my money on the line a put way more effort into grades and less into good times!

Fast forward 15 years and I went back to school on my dime to complete my Bachelor degree on my dime again and graduated with honors.

My oldest daughter will start college next year and it will be on her dime. I will put a roof over her head and food on the table but she will cover tuition and books. She will likely have a substantial amount of scholarship money because she puts in the work and is willing to apply and write essays to get even more $. She also has taken advantage of Dual Credit courses in high school and the fact that our local community college offers 2 classes free during the summer. She will graduate HS with 36hrs and apply for the nursing program after her first semester

On the other hand I have at least 2 of my kids that won't go to college, its just not the way they are built. They likely will start their own business or learn a trade. I will put a roof over their head and food on the table for them as well while they get it up and running.

Every kid is different, every family is different and everyone's finances are different...Do what you feel is best for your situation

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                                Depends on where you want to go and how much you're willing to spend. Any kid can stay home an additional two years go to community college and pay 5k or less per semester for English, Algebra, Speech, History, Biology and transfer that over to a University. That's an easy two years debt free. But if you want the "college experience" you can fork out 20k per semester for the same classes.

Most high schools offer dual credit and you can knock out many of those classes for free in high school.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
                                I chose to go to SHSU instead of A&M because of the $$$ per semester, knowing that I would have to fork over the money for it after graduation. Also, the community college in Onalaska, Texas didn't have transferable credits

When I got my associates from Blinn - a full semester + living expenses was probably ~ 5k total, back in 2008. Not sure what the cost would be nowadays, so my first statement was an assumption based on inflation and costs of living just getting higher in general.

When I got my BBA in Management from SHSU, the cost for a full semester + cost of living was closer to the $8-$9K pending how heavy the course load was that semester.

I was a full time employee for 90% of my time in college, but I wouldn't have been able to afford the tuition, rent, gas, food that was needed making the $11-$13/hr and still maintained the passing grades. (notice I said passing, not GOOD lol)

As I said earlier, I may not understand your line of thinking, but I respect it and think there aint nothing wrong with it. My views on it are just different than yours after going through it.

Comment

Working...
                                X