Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pars defect and arthritis

Edit: Lengthy read, sorry tfrye!

About a month ago I saw an orthopedic surgeon at The Institute of Spinal Disorders for some lower back pain that I have been plagued by for quite some time. I distinctly remember being 12 years old, getting a scooter for Christmas, and having to cut my time on it short because of the back pain it put me in. I was 12, so it didn't stop me from hopping on again, but it was fairly severe.

Fast-forward to college, 19 years old. I could lift the most on the team on the squat rack - it was my bread and butter. But again, pain in my lower back.

Now let's go to 21/22 years old. I am at my university now, and the pitching coach was all about leg day. And I was to. I don't remember what I maxed out at, I think it was over 600 lbs. I would warm up with two plates on each side, 225, and go up from there. I remember putting four 45 lbs plates on each side for my last set. It was awesome and I wanted to have the strongest legs. After squats though, back pain.

Fast forward to current times. I can't sweep or mop the floor, or bend over to wash my hands, or bend over to work on something on a work bench with out pain. Pretty significant pain. An 8 on the "scale from 1 to 10." The only relief is sitting, laying down, and having a sedentary lifestyle. That's not an option!

I'm no longer in my early 20s. The pain doesn't vanish after a few minutes of rest. It lingers for days. If you followed the bathroom remodel, you know I'm doing the wood working. That requires lifting about 50 to 60 lbs at a time, but because the weight puts stress on my lower back, while lifting it isn't the issue, the pain associated with it afterwards is. And I'm still feeling it today, and I will for the next couple of days as well.

That brings me to an appointment I had about a month ago with my new doctor. He saw the X-ray, found out I had played baseball my whole life, and told me that I had what they call a "Pars Defect"...It's common for football players, gymnasts and pitchers, happening in 1 of 20 of them, according to him.

Essentially when I was growing up and pitching, the motion and movement of "staying closed as long as possible" and having my chest upright caused a space between to lower vertebrae to not attach like it should have when I was growing up. Typically it is supposed to grow into a ligament which then calicifies and turns into bone as a teenager. But because the two vertebrae never met, that "bone" is missing, and is causing me a great deal of pain.

Treatment included a shot of Ketorolac at the first appointment followed by 5 days of steroids, then a week of Ketorolac in pill form, followed by 30 days of Celebrex and a muscle relaxer twice daily. He also ordered PT (which life has been to busy for me to schedule, but I should be good since we've moved to 4x10s at work and I can go on Tuesdays, my 3rd day off), and an MRI and CT scan. I go tomorrow to hand off the results and see where we go from here.

The Ketorolac shot helped immensely and immediately. However, since I'm not off that, I feel like I'm back to about a 6 on the pain scale. More to come.

Good luck! I hope they figure out how to get you pain free!!

I’m dealing with knee pain now. I’m 61 and never had any knee problems my whole life. Idk if it’s arthritis or what, but I’m ready for it to be gone!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

600 pounds?!? :-)

Good luck with the treatment.

Comment

Herniated disk between L5 and S1. Pars defect confirmed on right side. 2 injections to be scheduled.

Comment

Watch out for that Ketorolac , it will make you burn to a crisp in the sun
          Best o luck
          I have a disk and knee problem myself

Comment

Working...
          X