Filled the basket with alfalfa instead of cotton seed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filled the basket with alfalfa instead of cotton seed

Hogs have been hitting the corn feeder as they always do and then devastated 500 pounds of cottonseed in the basket. They don’t seem to mess with the alfalfa bales and the deer and Aoudad love those so today we took a bale and shook it loose inside cottonseed basket. The basket is chained to the tree but can be pushed back and forth so hopefully it will give the Aoudad a project and make it last longer than the bale in the trough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a feed pen

Comment

Second on a feeder pen.

Comment

My deer won’t touch cotton seed .

Comment

The deer on our place haven’t touched the cotton seed since I put it out seven months ago. A group of piglets got through the panels and tore it up though.

Comment

Are y’all using the fortified seed from tractor supply or plain cottonseed that you buy from the cotton gins/mills?

I’ve never paid the extra $$$ for the fortified. I first started feeding cottonseed probably 6 years ago now. I bought it by the trailer load. The first time, I added corn in it and on it to get the deer to eat. They picked at the cotton to get to the corn and eventually realized the cottonseed was good too. After that they were hooked, and would eat several tons of it a year.

Comment

I started feeding alfalfa this past winter. Its better for them than corn. The deer eat what they need, no overconsumption. Therefore, it will last a little longer.

Comment

Pretty much any feed is better for the deer than corn.

Corn is just a great bait.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  You need a feed pen

I wish, but about killed us getting the feeder up the side of the mountain. No way we could get panels up there. We stuck with what we have at this point. Hopefully the basket will regulate and slow consumption.

Comment

Better not have any livestock.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                      I wish, but about killed us getting the feeder up the side of the mountain. No way we could get panels up there. We stuck with what we have at this point. Hopefully the basket will regulate and slow consumption.

Make one wonder if its that hard getting equipment up there, how much would a whitetail or exotic (other than goats) consistently make the trek up there under normal range conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Make one wonder if its that hard getting equipment up there, how much would a whitetail or exotic (other than goats) consistently make the trek up there under normal range conditions.

More axis on camera up top than at bottom. Whitetail deer usually hit feeder each evening. (Not near as many as down low) and Aoudad are thick up there. The fallow and Sika have not been seen up there. Pigs are everywhere thick….

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Are y’all using the fortified seed from tractor supply or plain cottonseed that you buy from the cotton gins/mills?

I’ve never paid the extra $$$ for the fortified. I first started feeding cottonseed probably 6 years ago now. I bought it by the trailer load. The first time, I added corn in it and on it to get the deer to eat. They picked at the cotton to get to the corn and eventually realized the cottonseed was good too. After that they were hooked, and would eat several tons of it a year.

I’ve used the fortified before but here just used plain. Pigs hit it hard from the start.

Comment

I’d be willing to bet once the doodads and axis find that hay, it won’t last long at all. No doodads here, and the hay lasts no more than 2 days when we put it out.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                              I’ve used the fortified before but here just used plain. Pigs hit it hard from the start.

Yep you have no chance feeding cottonseed if pigs can get to it.

Do you feel it’s worth hunting that area vs getting somewhere you can build a pen?

The Axis will come to the Alfalfa. Once the game animals realize they can eat in a pig free area you may be surprised what all shows up to eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X