TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
    I’m actually up that way often. I’ll message you my number and would bee 🐝 glad to help get you going in the right direction.
    Got your number. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
      Question for you guys:

I installed two nucs last Sunday (4/24), and inspected them yesterday for the first time. They seemed to be doing well and queens in both boxes are laying (found 1-2 day old during inspection). I am feeding them 1/1 syrup and they are taking it in as fast as I can fill it up. My question is - at what point can I cut off the syrup feeding and allow them to utilitize the nectar flow for their comb building nutritional needs?
      the way i see it is no natural bees have supplements so now that spring has started let them go out and get the good stuff

Comment

Comment

That swarm trapping is fun just like hunting, fishing or trapping but now the real work begins trying to maintain and keep them bees. I put out 12 deeps as swarm traps with 1 drawn comb in middle that I was very fortunately given from 2 friends. 4 swarms in boxes plus 1 small cluster on a branch so far and swarms on fb almost everyday but not quick enuff to get to them. For a newbie I'm pretty happy right now but now the beetle and wax moth fight plus all the other variables have my head spinnin. At least there's YouTube and the "fat bee man" and the "skinny bee man" LOL Oh by the way I have 4 or 5 other traps with heavy scout traffic so don't think I'm done yet.
          Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 05-07-2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Now that have a few bees need to figure out if going with 1 or 2 deeps for brood boxes. Guys up here do both ways with success from what I've read and seen online the single will produce more honey but needs more management and less room for error. Prob do 2 broods for now when they build up the first box. What's are you guys down south there using?
            Last edited by MdStrutnRut; 05-08-2022, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Its good to see people beekeeping. This is awesome

Comment

Originally posted by MdStrutnRut View Post
                Now that have a few bees need to figure out if going with 1 or 2 deeps for brood boxes. Guys up here do both ways with success from what I've read and seen online the single will produce more honey but needs more management and less room for error. Prob do 2 broods for now when they build up the first box. What's are you guys down south there using?
                I'm using double deep rood boxes.

Comment

I use 2 double deeps with a honey super on top and a Queen excluder under the super.

I noticed the hives are starting to expel the Drones. Its been Murderers Row all day

Comment

I’m doing a mix of double deep brood boxes and a single deep with a medium. Not sure if it’s a happy medium or not but I figure I’m not going to manage them really well and need some cushion.

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                      Question for you guys:

I installed two nucs last Sunday (4/24), and inspected them yesterday for the first time. They seemed to be doing well and queens in both boxes are laying (found 1-2 day old during inspection). I am feeding them 1/1 syrup and they are taking it in as fast as I can fill it up. My question is - at what point can I cut off the syrup feeding and allow them to utilitize the nectar flow for their comb building nutritional needs?
                      we quit feeding as soon as we see them bringing pollen into the hive. It was first of March for us in NE Texas.

Comment

I like to run double deeps. I’m wanting to get rid of some bees so I did 15 splits off my biggest hives. Should have them ready to go soon as I’m sure the new queens took to all. I can’t imagine doing that for a living. Looking
                        After 15 hives kicks my butt in the summer.

Comment

Does anyone destroy queen cells? I have 2 new Nuc hives i purchased a month ago. They are lots of brood and looks like the queen is doing well but they are already building new queen cells. The guy i bought them from said to destroy the new queen cells. Any thoughts or advice?

Comment

Do they need more space? Can you post pics of the queen cell? I wouldn’t destroy it, personally, but that’s just me.

Comment

Originally posted by AgBow25 View Post
                              Does anyone destroy queen cells? I have 2 new Nuc hives i purchased a month ago. They are lots of brood and looks like the queen is doing well but they are already building new queen cells. The guy i bought them from said to destroy the new queen cells. Any thoughts or advice?
                              Are they high or low on the frame? Picture if you have them. A lot of new bee keepers think drone cells are queen cells.

Comment

Picked up another water meter hive this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X