No announcement yet.

Hog with a 22 rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen my Dad and Grandpa do it many times with a 22 short even. Right between the eyes. Drop without even a squeal. Hog killing time on the farm. Most were between 300 & 350 lbs Durocs. Next thing my grandpa did was stick em and catch the blood in a pan to make souse with but that's another story.

Comment

22lr is how we dispatch the ones we trap. Not a lot of luck with head on shots on the bigger ones, but ear hole works every time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done it out to 50yds with Eley Tenex, but then again that goes for hitting quail in the noggin as well...just trust your gun / ammo when the trigger is pulled & the results will yield some meat.

Comment

Originally posted by r_u_sharp_2 View Post
          22lr is how we dispatch the ones we trap. Not a lot of luck with head on shots on the bigger ones, but ear hole works every time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
          I watched a YouTube video once of Pigman, killing one with a gamo pellet gun with this shot placement.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            I've done it out to 50yds with Eley Tenex, but then again that goes for hitting quail in the noggin as well...just trust your gun / ammo when the trigger is pulled & the results will yield some meat.
            I realy like the ELEY ammo in .22. I get about penny sized groups at 55 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              OP says he's using the CCI Quiet ammo. This is a 40 grain hollowpoint at 710 fps.
              And it absolutely sucks for killing anything. I use 22 to kill quite a bit, but I despise Quiet for anything besides plinking. OP at minimum use CCI Standard Velocity if you’re dead set on killing with subsonic 22.

Comment

Ear holed a shoat at near point blank ranges with a .22 pistol. It death flopped for 20 seconds then got up and ran off. Right past the guys lighting the pit we were about to throw it on.

When I kill pigs with a .22 now I like to cross their eyes and bang.

Comment

I've tried with the quiet and didn't have success. I've shot some small critters that a normal LR would have killed no problem but they ran off with the quiet.

Comment

Many of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

22 mag, personally.

Comment

I've killed a number of them with .22's. But I'd step that load up to a standard velocity CCi at least. It's still subsonic, and the same 40 grain bullet, but quite a bit more energy and penetration than the CCI Quiet load. It's a little louder, though, but you are going to spook them anyway at that close in...

Comment

When I shoot critters with my sub sonic(either squirrels in back yard or pigs) the sound of the bullet hitting the target is the loudest sound I hear.

Comment

I would not recommend the subsonic ammo unless you have them in a trap. Might do the trick first round but never know.
                            Any standard .22LR "earhole" or make an X on forehead with ears and eyes being endpoints and aim for the intersecting point

Comment

As others said, I’d at least use standard velocity ammo, not the quiets. That little extra punch is worth it.

We have killed plenty in traps with a 22. My dad took a shot at 50yds or so on a decent size pig. Dropped in his tracks. He was astounded. Hi fives with his buddy and “man I can’t believe it dropped him!” and then the pig got up and stumbled into the brush. Haha. A well placed below the ear or right between the eyes shot will be required.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                I
                                Any standard .22LR "earhole" or make an X on forehead with ears and eyes being endpoints and aim for the intersecting point
                                This right here. There's nothing between the eyes but bone.

Comment

Working...
                                X