Need invisible dog fence suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need invisible dog fence suggestions

We are about to move to some acreage. My wife wants to be able to let the dogs out in the morning and not have sit out there and watch them. Building a fenced area is not really an option.

These are tiny dogs, one is 7 lbs the other is 12 lbs. I've seen something that you can plug in to an outlet and it creates an invisible barrier that the collar reacts to. Or I could bury a wire and go that route, but would rather not if the plug in option would work.

Anyone have experience with these? Any recommendations? It has to be rated for the appropriate sized dogs so they dont go up in a puff of smoke if/when they get zapped.

I had the buried wire. In 15 years my lab got out 3 times. I followed the provided training to the letter. I know people that lay the wire and just turn the dog loose with no training and the can’t understand why it doesn’t work. Mine was the Petsafe brand. PM me for instillation tips.

Comment

I’d recommend the buried wire option. I did that for my blue heeler and minnie Aussie. It will keep them contained about 95% of the time. But every now and then the blue heeler will say **** it and blow right through it.

Comment

buried wire. I bought mine from Amazon. Not sure which brand but it was an easy install on 1.5 acres. Little trick I found was to get a chainsaw with an old chain on it to "dig" the trench to bury the wire. It went fast and my dogs didn't take much time in figuring it out. They stay in the yard now and no longer have to worry about them digging under the fence to chase deer etc...

Comment

I tried the wireless and ended up taking it back. Their tech said I had too much metal in my yard with my roof, carport and shop. It would work about half the time.

Comment

The buried fence is the best option. I had Invisible Fence install mine.

Comment

Wireless version works great for us and we can take it camping with us. Jack Russell and yorkie

Comment

I don't recommend just letting them out alone.. Too many hawks, coyotes and owls find them just the right size if you are in the woods. Just take note..... and be warned.....

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                  I don't recommend just letting them out alone.. Too many hawks, coyotes and owls find them just the right size if you are in the woods. Just take note..... and be warned.....
                  This!

Comment

Have had the underground fence going on 15 years. I did not bury all of mine as Gophers love to eat the wire. So upgraded to irrigation wire and wired it to the fence, at the gates kept it underground. I have had to replace the wire 2 or 3 times, but it works.

Comment

For 8 years while we were up in Illinois on 5 acres we had Invisible Fence install their unit for about 2 acres around the house. It worked GREAT on our Lab and little 10LB fluffy dog. Only time Lab ever got out was when we left his collar off for too many days and a few times when the kids were playing on the other side of the creek and he just had to bust through to be included!!! Invisible fence installed, helped with training and repaired anytime there was a problem which was only a couple of times. Not cheap, but well worth it IMO.

Comment

Needing to do this myself as my catahoula has learned to climb the fence....... awesome recommendation about using the chainsaw to trench, I've been looking at the wireless options because I didn't want to dig but the wired versions sounded better to me since you can follow the actual layout of your property. Anybody have experience with the SportDog ones? I use their shock collars and have been pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
                          We had a lady that would turn loose her Yorky , at the ranch and our semi pet hoot owl would fly over to the electric pole and watch Him with great interest till we warned her the owl liked her dog and her husband walked out the door with a deer rifle

Back on topic those gps barriers look nice would like to try one out
                          For the dogs

Comment

Haven't tried it but I've been seeing the ad on TV instead of burying a bunch of wires they can take it with them and use it anywhere they're at got to admit got my attention

Comment

I use the 3/4 acre wireless Pet Safe brand. Bought at TSC. I take it everywhere I bring the dogs and it contains them. Every once in a while I’ll take the collars off the dogs to let them roam, they have to almost be enticed to leave their area.

You can add multiple collars to one unit. They aren’t cheap but we’ll worth it and they have great warranty if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X