Crawfish for Good Friday, why not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post
    37.5 gallon crawfish boiler. Recipe I use for this size. 2 bottles of Louisiana crawfish liquid boil. 1/4 bag of the same powder. 1/2 gallon of lemon juice. 4 sticks of butter. Throw the bugs in for 5 minutes after it’s boiling, shut it off after 5 minutes, let it sit for 20 minutes.

Slew, 1/2 gallon of lemon juice, 1/2 gallon of distilled vinegar, 3 sticks of butter, 1/2 bag of Louisiana crawfish powder, let it sit for 30 minutes, stir every 5 minutes, put beer can in lid to let the steam out. Pull from bottom first. Longer they sit, better they are. The slew is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sounds good LC. Mine is a little more involved because of the volume we do every morning. But as most people know the soak puts the flavor in the meat. And your defenately doing it right.
    Last edited by Gumbo Man; 04-15-2022, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      You already know this brother … crawfish bisque is arguably one of the greatest meals of all time. I make it once or twice a year because it is so laborious and takes 2 days to prepare. Learned it from my late grandmother in New Orleans who shared with me many great recipes : stuffed artichokes, oyster dressing, and carrot soufflé just to name a few.
      Tru Dat and we must be related. I will put up 3 one gallon ziplocks of heads per year. Make it for family gatherings only. I have been asked why we don’t serve it at our restaurant and I have many reasons to offer. So many good recipes are a challenge when trying to figure out a “ restaurant version” without sacrificing the quality of home cooking. If anyone thinks it can be done the same way in a commercial setting as your own kitchen you are sadly mistaken. Again great job sir.

Comment

Fwiw

My method for just crawfish, not vegetables. Vegetables are done separate for the most part.

I don’t dust crawfish after boiling or do the slew/ slurry method. To each their own.

Rolling clean water boil.
        30qt pot- 10 cups of powder/ granular seasoning
        60qt pot- 17/ 18 cups of powder/ granular seasoning
        90qt pot - 25/ 27 cups of powder/ granular seasoning
        Liquid seasoning- eyeball
        Garlic
        Lemons or Oranges
        Peppers- Jalapenos, Habaneros, Ghost. Whichever you prefer
        Let all of this boil for a few minutes.

Add crawfish to basket or pot and boil between 4 and 6 minutes depending on how full the pot is. Don’t take the lid off while boiling. Cut the fire and dump ice on top of the crawfish. Replace lid and let sit 15- 20 minutes min. Dump and enjoy.

Note: the amount seasoning per boil/ pot does not have to be replaced after each boil. For example if I add 17/ 18 cups to a 60qt pot for the 1st batch I’ll 5/ 7 cups the next go around. Not another 17/ 18 for the 2nd batch.

This method takes a lot of seasoning, especially if your doing multiple boils but the flavor will be there.
        Last edited by USMC; 04-15-2022, 08:01 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          Sounds good LC. Mine is a little more involved because of the volume we do every morning. But as most people know the soak puts the flavor in the meat. And your defenately doing it right.

Everyone likes it, but I’m always looking for something better. Is there something you do different minus seasoning?

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post
            Everyone likes it, but I’m always looking for something better. Is there something you do different minus seasoning?

You have had good advice from others already but I will chime in suggesting that the seasoning that you put in the boil is not needed if you soak in a slurry. But I add one gallon of liquid seasoning in my pot to start. We’ll do 10 sacks in the morning one sack at a time. My cooking time will seem like blanching compared to others cooking times. When I’m back to boil I pull after one minute and immediately dump in slurry to stop the cooking process and start taking on flavor. My soak is 15 lbs of powder, 1 gallon of liquid seasoning, 14 lbs of ketchup, 1/4 gallon hot sauce and 8 cups lemon juice. This soak will do 20 sacks. Pull your bugs when the flavor and heat fits your taste.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
              “” Passover, or Pesach, which retells and celebrates the story of the Israelites being freed from slavery in Egypt, is a favorite holiday. At its heart is the seder, an intricate ritual and meal filled with songs, specialized food (don't miss the matzo ball soup!), and Big Springtime Energy.””
              It’s a sin to eat crawfish during the holy days
              Thanks for passing this along. I will follow up with my priest on the shelled fish angle. Many of the Catholic churches in my area have fish fries on Fridays and some offer oysters, shrimp or crawfish. I try to follow lent as best as possible but had shrimp every Friday.

The larger issue is Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. They are Fasting days, which means only one meal (if you are 18-60 yrs).

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                Thanks for passing this along. I will follow up with my priest on the shelled fish angle. Many of the Catholic churches in my area have fish fries on Fridays and some offer oysters, shrimp or crawfish. I try to follow lent as best as possible but had shrimp every Friday.

The larger issue is Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. They are Fasting days, which means only one meal (if you are 18-60 yrs).
                Fasting is nothing to eat, heck I only eat dinner every day. No breakfast or lunch hardly ever. So I must be fasting for a life time ?

Comment

Man that looks great! I worked so much this spring that I completely missed most of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    Man that looks great! I worked so much this spring that I completely missed most of the season.
                    No worries. With the cooler weather of the last few weeks the better crawfish are just now coming in with consistency. Should be good through the end of June.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      No worries. With the cooler weather of the last few weeks the better crawfish are just now coming in with consistency. Should be good through the end of May

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        You have had good advice from others already but I will chime in suggesting that the seasoning that you put in the boil is not needed if you soak in a slurry. But I add one gallon of liquid seasoning in my pot to start. We’ll do 10 sacks in the morning one sack at a time. My cooking time will seem like blanching compared to others cooking times. When I’m back to boil I pull after one minute and immediately dump in slurry to stop the cooking process and start taking on flavor. My soak is 15 lbs of powder, 1 gallon of liquid seasoning, 14 lbs of ketchup, 1/4 gallon hot sauce and 8 cups lemon juice. This soak will do 20 sacks. Pull your bugs when the flavor and heat fits your taste.
                        I have never heard of using ketchup. Will have to give it a shot.

Comment

Dang should have done crawfish instead of a brisket lol looks good

Comment

Working...
                          X