Cedar Clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cedar Clearing

We are having cedar cleared from the ranch in Mountain Home and the people doing the clearing do not charge. They collect the cedar and carry it off. Lady in charge asked that I pass along her information if anyone interested in having cedar removed. PM me and I will provide her number.

Do cedars have to be post size? and you say haul off, does that mean the entire tree.. Reason for asking is we have regrowth cedar 6-8 foot tall. Any details you can supply would be helpful.

Comment

Cool! Wish we had someone doing that around here...we have a lifetime supply! Wonder what they're doing with it?...mulch maybe?

Comment

I’m not saying that your guys are going to do this, but they made a complete mess at our lease with these “cedar choppers”. They cut the trees down about 6” from the ground, cut their posts out, and then left all the scrap. It costs more for them to come in to clean up their mess than it would have been to hire a dozer to do the initial cleaning.

Comment

Yes wish they would do a better job of cleanup, but they do haul most of the cedar out. Some areas the cedar is piled for burning but with the burn ban if effect that will have to wait. All I’m saying is if you want someone to cut cedar out this might be an option.

Comment

Local guy here clearing mesquite for the firewood.
            I have tons of smaller mesquite so I am going to have him come look

We aren’t covered in cedar here. I like them for cover and color. Provides protection in the winter for the critters

But having someone cut the cedars and removing most of it sounds like a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
              I’m not saying that your guys are going to do this, but they made a complete mess at our lease with these “cedar choppers”. They cut the trees down about 6” from the ground, cut their posts out, and then left all the scrap. It costs more for them to come in to clean up their mess than it would have been to hire a dozer to do the initial cleaning.
              Yep, I first thought the OP was talking about peeps wanting all the cedar for whatever reason. If your talking about post cutters you dang sure better lay down some rules. My dad in law let em cut at our lease and they left chit where it fell and stumps everywhere! It was ridiculous.

Comment

I was just told that these people will clean and haul as much as you wanted. Guess that you just need to establish that first. I was just trying to put out the information for people interested is dealing with the cedar. I have no connection or get something out of this.

Comment

I'm cutting some to sell to the local cedar mill in Leakey. There can be no leaves and the miniumn size is 4". It used to be 6" but they are needing as much as they can get. I guess people don't want to do any work. It only pays 95.00 a ton but that might pay for some of my chains for the saw, I was cutting it anyway. I rented a mulcher/chipper for the smaller stuff, the fun wore off that pretty quick but I can use some of the mulch for my roads to smooth it out some for now. My sister bought a place where a bunch of cedar had been cut and the people were going to let it dry out and come back and get it, that was several years ago. My brother in law is still stacking and burning as the weather permits and ground is wet. Someone taking it sounds too good to be true.

Comment

are they using it for biofuel or posts?

Comment

Can you post before and after pics of their work? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gatt40 View Post
                        We are having cedar cleared from the ranch in Mountain Home and the people doing the clearing do not charge. They collect the cedar and carry it off. Lady in charge asked that I pass along her information if anyone interested in having cedar removed. PM me and I will provide her number.
                        Wow that's a hell of a deal for some! We used to battle Cedars in NTX like others do Mesquites. Luckily the mesquites never moved in our area.

Comment

We are removing " cedar starts " on our pastures now by hand . The stem has to be cut below the lowest limb to not allow regrowth ; we are cutting them off at ground level . It's A Lot Of Work but will be worth it into the future . The man that I have putting new entry gates in for us has told me he will remove larger cedars , up to 6 - 8 feet I believe , for free . He has an attachment on his skid steer that digs the tree up with the root ball intact . He has been making Great Money he said selling the trees to Commercial Construction Sites in Large Metro Areas for fence / noise barrier / wind breaks on building projects .

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                            They cut the trees at 6 inches to keep the ground dirt from ruining and dulling their chains. It leaves nothing but stumps that are a pain to clean up. You have to monitor their work every day. They will work the first 50 yards or so into a cedar break and then go to cutting the "la Creme" or the good posts only and leaving 3 to 5 feet trunks that you can't see until the leaves start dropping off and you can get in to see what a mess they left. One sorry crew kept me busy with my dozer for about a year after they left. Nasty stuff to clean up.

If the cedar debris is left, it's a perfect breeding ground for the cedar berries that dropped and then germinate into a million new little cedars.

Comment

Working...
                            X