Flooring Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooring Problem

Question: Several years ago I had a water leak from an upstairs air conditioning unit. Mild flood downstairs on my nailed down Red Oak flooring (about 3 foot x 10 ft section). Fast forward about 5 years and now the underlayment has become soft and spongy. I presume the moisture eventually rotted the underlayment out. The flooring itself is in great shape with no cupping or warping of any kind. Is it possible to take up the floor and replace the underlayment and then put the floor back down? Will I tear up the tongue and groove stuff trying to take it up?

Pop the bottom trim and work out a piece, once you get one going the rest should come up easy. Im sure its either nailed or glued down or both, that may be an issue. Either way it sound like it need to come up.

Comment

Will be though and lots of variables. I can come take a look a help you pick a path if you like.
      PM me your contact if you want a free set of flooring eyes to take a look.

Comment

Sounds like it may be a bigger issue than the underlayment. It should have dried a long time ago and not rotted unless there is still moisture getting to it. If it's not on a slab there may be some structural issues under the floor.

Comment

Working...
        X