Western Hunters- Great weather testing gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Hunters- Great weather testing gear

For those of you stuck inside going stir crazy- this would be a great day to layer up and test some gear. Find out how far you can walk without sweating to death. Find out just how good your outer shell is in a 20 mph wind. One of my first western hunts had very similar weather- and it took valuable hunting time to work out my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by basschump; 02-14-2021, 10:21 AM.

Great advise, I just got out my cold weather gear just to walk my dog around the block, and my stuff work good......

Comment

Hunted in 8 degree weather yesterday. The only thing that got cold was my hands but that's normal for me. Polar King coveralls and Cabelas Whitetail Clothing coat. Wind doesn't cut through that. I've never felt uncomfortable wearing those in weather below freezing. Up here you have to have clothes that the wind won't cut through. I've hunted in weather so cold I put my face in my coat to warm my face up and my nose stuck to the coat zipper. But my body wasn't cold. That pretty much told me all I needed to know.

It also told me wipe the snot off your face before sticking it to metal in weather like that.
      Last edited by okrattler; 02-14-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I did this back in 2012ish before my first western mountain hunt. Spent 2 nights and 3 days backpacking and camping in Palo Duro Canyon in single digit temps and snow. Great way to learn about the new gear I bought. Weeded out a few items and added a few.

Comment

Been wearing my Kuiu super down pro jacket and it’s just ridiculously comfortable and all I’ve needed under it is a t shirt
          Temps have been 20-25 and wind 15-30.
          Can’t recommend this jacket enough.

I may hunt this evening and put the kutana gale force pants to the test as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I encountered a problem this year while hunting in Ok that I’ve not had before. Something to watch out for. I have a wrist strap trigger release and temps were 15-20 with sleet and freezing rain. Deer walks out that I want to shoot, go to open my release to attach to string loop and it’s coated in ice and crusted shut. Had to put it in my mouth for almost 30 seconds to thaw out enough to open to attach to my string loop. Just something to think about. I never did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X