Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric vs 5 Strand perimeter fence, 16 acres

Friends,

I posted a while back with fencing questions and now we're getting finally getting ready to have it installed by a reputable company. The fence lines have been marked by a surveyor and cleared. Both of my great neighbors are on board with no issues.

Here's the situation. For our perimeter fence (3200') I'm considering going with electric instead of 5-6 strand or woven. Short term goal is property line marker and longer term is a milk cow or 2, 10-12 sheep and 1 or 2 horses. We have a large wild hog population which will give the fence heck if it's not electric I imagine. I have 2 working dogs who are trained to stay inside a given fenced area (even with an open gate). I don't have any concerns with the dogs breaching a fence of any type.

I'm trying to avoid spraying for weed control so a woven fence seems like it would be hard to keep clear. With 5 or 6 strand barbed I figure I could weed eat underneath. However, with electric I think I'd get better hog and predator control.

Any advice on wire spacing and which wires for hot for a 50-56" fence? I'm thinking something like this

top wire - hot
    wire 2 - 10" spacing
    wire 3 - 10" spacing
    wire 4 - 10" spacing
    wire 5 - hot, 10" down / 8-10" off ground

I'm starting from zero here as a new hobby farmer and am trying to maximize long term planning with this big expense.

At the end of the day, 5 or even 6 strand will get the job done but if I can do electric up front instead of upgrading later I think it would save a good bit of time and trouble.

Any tips or advice are much appreciated,

Joe

Good luck keeping the bottom strand from grounding out. In my experience, hogs are less likely to tear up barb wire than electric. I also think that keeping 3200’ of any type of fence weeded is going to get real old, real quick. I’d go standard five strand or net since you’re going to have goats.

If it were me, I’d also seriously rethink the milk cow.

Comment

Ag 96 - thanks for the good info. Sounds like electric might be more maintenance heavy than I'd like to get into + the costs of repair if it goes cold and gets torn up.

I like the idea of woven / net fencing but can't imagine how I'd keep the bottom clear without spraying.

Comment

Barb wire is your best bet, high tensile feild fence is your best bet, kind of pricey but will keep a majority of them out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t mind electric interior cross fence,but never use it on perimeter fence. A good hot electric fence will contain a 2500 lb bull, but If it get grounded out or if the charger stops working, livestock figure it out pretty quick. Cattle and cars don’t go well together. Haha

Comment

Thanks for all the good info.

Here's a question since I'm now reconsidering woven/field fence. How high off the ground can you go with field fence and still be effective? 6-8" inches or so would give me a good bit of space to work on keeping it clear but all the field fence I've seen is installed at ground level.

Comment

Milk cow, 10 to 12 sheep, and 1 or 2 horse on 16 acres? You won't have any problems with weeds under the fence.

Comment

Buy quality woven fence (buy once, cry once) and a 25 gallon sprayer you can run off of ATV/UTV or even pickup bed. Leave and maintain room to drive inside fence.

Spray fence line in spring and again in early fall with something that kills EVERYTHING

Comment

Horses and goats are rough on net fencing they will rub against it bowing it out
                  I’ve found that the best is a combination net wire wire one strand of electric about 24” to keep them from rubbing Buy a electric fencer that is rated for 4 times the amount you need

Comment

Originally posted by jp_over View Post
                    Thanks for all the good info.

Here's a question since I'm now reconsidering woven/field fence. How high off the ground can you go with field fence and still be effective? 6-8" inches or so would give me a good bit of space to work on keeping it clear but all the field fence I've seen is installed at ground level.
                    2"-3" off the ground if you want to run a weedeater around 16 acres. A 15 gallons sprayer with roundup will be your best friend in the end.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      Buy quality woven fence (buy once, cry once) and a 25 gallon sprayer you can run off of ATV/UTV or even pickup bed. Leave and maintain room to drive inside fence.

Spray fence line in spring and again in early fall with something that kills EVERYTHING

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All good advice above. I normally put my woven wire on the ground but I don't care if grass grows in it. Anything a hog can get his nose under he can go through. Barbed wire on the top. And plan on cutting way back on the number of animals you listed or your place will be nothing but dirt in short order.

-john

Comment

For horses do not put barbed wire on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            For horses do not put barbed wire on top.
                            If you don't they will sure push on it.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Milk cow, 10 to 12 sheep, and 1 or 2 horse on 16 acres? You won't have any problems with weeds under the fence.

That was my first thought! There won’t be a blade of grass to worry about. But to the question...
                              Op, if you dont build it right, you will regret it. If you are going to have sheep, you need woven wire. That will keep sheep in, and help keep dogs out. It’s also the best choice for cows and horses. If you only have cows or horses, you can use Barbed wire. Use good heavy posts for corners and gates. Electric is fine for running a line inside to keep animals from pushing.
                              As for you not wanting to spray, you will get over that in the first year if you try to keep it cut by hand. But then again, if you have that many critters on the place, it won’t be a problem at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X