No announcement yet.

The Fat G Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should learn how to make bowstrings. Once you get good at it you can sell 'em and name your business, Fat G-Strings!

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
      Headed to the ranch for another work weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      About to head to Home Depot in Temple as well.

Comment

You men do good work. Looking forward to your future updates.

Rwc

Comment

Had to make a pit stop in London, TX. The MAGA hat fell off and the boys insisted on fixing it.

These are our trash haulers and varmint terrorizers for the weekend.

Comment

Made it in time to get to the tripod.

Saw a couple axis on my walk in... close! New horn growth.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

The Fat G Ranch

Another successful weekend in the books. We did not accomplish all we set out to this weekend, but we made significant progress. The ranch is WET! They got over 2.5” on Tuesday and it showed. Standing water on the roads and the place was a swamp. We had another soaker pound us on Friday evening as well.

The view from camp after that big red sucker blew through.

The boys worked super hard. They were hauling trash from our demo, some trees we had knocked down, tons of junk. They got camp cleaned up great!

The deck is about 95% done. Railing and stairs were completed. Still have to install the big header.

The interior took wayyyyy longer than expected. Managed to get three main walls done. Will have to complete that on the next trip.

Really like the look of it though. Much better than half-assed multi-colored drywall. Got the kitchen sink drain plumbed, installed a new faucet (old one had a bad cold water valve that caused it to leak), and installed a new toilet seal to shore up that leak as well.

We also got our windbreak started for the fire pit. We’ll pour a couple bags of sackcrete on it to shore it up the next go round.

We managed to get a couple of successful hunts in as well.

Had a stray young blackbuck move through and one of the boys whacked it. (He’s getting euro’d)

The other twin took an Axis doe.

Keegan managed to put down his largest Axis to date and is having him shoulder mounted.

Shout out to Steve for the LDP sign idea. Wish we would have remembered to use it for the boys.

We also had the ranger break... again. A-arm bolt broke which misaligned the axel. Hard to see in this pic though, but it’s getting repaired again.

You can tell from that picture and this one of my truck just how wet it is down there right now.

We still have a lot of work to do, but it’s coming together. The working plumbing got load tested this weekend with 7 of us down there. Shower, sinks, and toilet functioned flawlessly. That tankless hot water heater is legit. When you work as hard as we have, a shower just renews you. It’s awesome. We ate great, we had fun, and we got work done. That’s what it’s all about. Looking forward to the next trip.

Last edited by CentralTXHunter; 05-18-2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Freakin awesome!! I’m jealous lol

Congrats

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Loving the pics!! Great weekend for sure!! Congrats to your boys!!

Comment

Great write up! Looking forward to the updates. You know it is a successful trip out when the trailer has a flat!! Looks like lots of fun and memories to be made.

Comment

Awesome write up.

Comment

Went down to the ranch again this weekend. Took my 5 year old, Cooper, for the first time and Keegan’s 14 year old, Truitt. Didn’t work on any of the projects this weekend, but we had a lot of feeder issues to repair.

Previous weekend two other guys had gone out. They’ve never ran a diesel generator before and ran it completely out of fuel. They got frustrated trying to bleed it and ended up driving to Del Rio and bought a generator instead. Joe brought it back home and dropped it off at my office. Well, first off all they drove it back with the key on and ran the battery to failure. Thankfully O’reilly’s replaced that. Then I went to bleed lines and found this.

Stress crack right above the nut on the high pressure line. I assume it’s from when they attempted to bleed it at the ranch. Had to order a new one. Should be here this week. I had to take Keegan’s generator down there which has been a beast. (More on this later).

We made it to camp in time for the evening hunt. We unloaded some stuff, fired up the generator, A/C, and lights, and then hopped in the Ranger to go hunt. Saw a ton of game and Cooper was excited. First time he’s seen Axis and Auodad. Truitt put a stalk on a Corsican sheep to about 30 yards and completely missed the shot.

We get back to camp around 9:30 and it’s pitch black. Dang generator shut off. I end up messing with that thing well past midnight and in the middle of that cooked dinner for us all. It was surging when load was applied. I worked on it and got it running all through the night. We go hunt the next morning and come back to camp. Weather was phenomenal all weekend and we had breakfast out on the new deck.

Truitt wanted to walk in the canyon for a little bit, so I let him go and Cooper wanted to glass him while he walked. Snagged a couple of pretty cool photos.

Then it was time to get to work. We filled feeders, replaced bad timers, added solar panels, set up a whole new set in the bottom of the canyon. Super busy day. We were on the Ranger working from pretty much 10AM to 6:30PM. Cooper had fun and Truitt was an unbelievable amount of help.

This is exactly how I found our camp feeder. Either one of the guys screwed up or we have the most intelligent raccoons on the planet. Replaced the timer here, filled corn, and reattached the varmint cage.

Filled corn, replaced the timer here, and set up a game cam.

This tripod was blown over, so we used the winch on the Ranger and a little muscle to get it back up.

Filled this feeder and either I totally forgot to attach the clamps when we drilled these holes or they broke in a storm. Unsure, but we fixed that too.

Cooper did a bit of driving us around.

Got to our 4th feeder and found this attached to the feeder leg.

I called the guys I hunt with and they both thought it was mine (it’s not). I call our landowner, he didn’t do it and doesn’t know who did, but he’s ******. Convo gets awesome though when he tells me he bought another 200 acres for us to set up and hunt. I was definitely fired up about that!!

Sent this picture to the owner of the covert...

Find out later it was from a realtor that Mike had the place listed with, but he didn’t ask permission to place a camera and Mike is furious with him. I told him I’d mail his camera back for $300 and a pallet of corn, lol.

Had to fill the feeder there and replace the winch. Got that knocked out. Cooper also “helped” me winch the feeder back up on an old, non working winch.

We also had to pick up one of our skinning A-frames that had blown over in a storm.

Picked up a feeder from one set and moved it down into the canyon. Filled it and added a solar panel. The winch on this one has 3 position catch. I put it in the wrong position winching it up and when I let go it swung the handle around super fast and caught two of my fingers. Hurt like hell, but thankfully no damage done.

Also added a game cam at the new set.

Put up another feeder where I took this winch feeder from. Had to build a new control unit for it. New box, motor, timer, battery, spin plate, and solar panel. Got it all mounted and filled with corn at 6:50. Cooper and I got in the stand as it was going off at 7:00.

We even saw two whitetail bucks. I was surprised to see anything after all the noise we had made and our scent everywhere.

We got back to camp after the evening hunt. Generator is working fine. We are all disgusting and need showers. Cooper is super tired. I get a shower and as I’m finishing up, the lights blink... oh no. Cooper gets in the shower with me. I get soap on his head and the generator cuts off. Pitch black and Cooper has a meltdown. He’s tired, he’s scared. It’s not good. I holler at Truitt and he brings me my headlamp. We finish the shower, drying off, and getting dressed by headlamp. It’s funny now, but sucked at the time. I get the generator going again. Truitt showered, we ate dinner, and then piled in bed.

Sunday morning was gorgeous. 60 degrees. Light breeze. Little cloud cover. At 6:30 I see horns in the bush at about 300 yards. Stud axis. He never presents a shot opportunity, but had a cool encounter. He got to about 120 yards behind a tree and thrashed that tree for 10 minutes. It was pretty cool to watch.

Pulled the SD card from the Covert cam illegally placed and saw an axis I’m going to target. He’s got massive brows. He’s pretty much everything I’m looking for.

We cleaned up and loaded up at camp. I also needed to replace the elevated water tank at camp. I spray painted a new one that Joe and I had brought out a month ago. Unfortunately I broke the PVC connection when I threw the old one off. Another project for next time, but at least I get to do it the right way this time.

We rolled out of camp and headed home. I wore these boys out, but we got a lot accomplished, saw a ton of game, and had a good time despite the few problems.

Comment

Sounds Awesome!!!

Comment

Good stuff right there, best thing ever for those boys!!

Comment

Working...
                                X