Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

What’s your preferred arrow weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s your preferred arrow weight

Since I started bow hunting I’ve been shooting heavier arrows except my very first season. I’ve always shot fixed heads and even with light arrows had pass throughs on most everything.

One season I shot arrows as heavy as 530 grains and had excellent results but this season I backed down just a bit for no reason except cheaper arrows.

My hunting arrow is weighing in at 491 grains with 18%foc out of a 69#28.5 inch draw and I completely blow through everything I’ve shot so far.

In your experience have you had arrows to light or to heavy? I’ve considered going up to 575gr+\- but I know it’s not needed for my hunting.

The truest flying arrow out of your rig is the key . If the arrow flys straight and you hit the vitals you will have a pass through unless your only shooting 40 lbs with really light arrows. But I say a arrow between 410 and 500 is plenty good for North American game . Especially out of a 29” draw at 70lbs

Comment

I am at 470 grains. 28.5" draw length, 67 lb set on my bow. Shooting Easton FMJ's cut at 26.75". The arrows are 320 spine and shooting Magnus Snuffer SS. My opinion is that a heavier arrow is better. You need mass (kinetic energy) to get the arrow through what you are shooting. What is my arrow speed? Don't know because speed is not what I am trying to obtain.

Comment

I'm at 17% FOC if memory serves.

Want to get to 25+% FOC.

With a 31.5" draw length that might be tricky

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

I’m with you. ~490gr arrows with 15-18% FOC movin about 290-300fps and a micro shaft to boot (.166 Victory VAP Elite). Hard to stop em. I also shoot big mechanicals for that reason that I’ve yet to have anything stop them and I want big cut and quick clean kills with good bloodtrails.

Comment

475 grains . Is what I'm shooting now.. I like to stay in the 285 to 295 fps range .. 29.5 inch draw 75 lb bow

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
              I’m with you. ~490gr arrows with 15-18% FOC movin about 290-300fps and a micro shaft to boot (.166 Victory VAP Elite). Hard to stop em. I also shoot big mechanicals for that reason that I’ve yet to have anything stop them and I want big cut and quick clean kills with good bloodtrails.
              I’m still shooting fixed heads primarily but have dabbed into mechanical heads. I’m considering shooting some more this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                I’m still shooting fixed heads primarily but have dabbed into mechanical heads. I’m considering shooting some more this year.
                I still err towards a strong tip in case bone is hit. I went back to Rage when they came out with the Chisel Tip and the shock collar. Really liking the 2 Blades 2.3” Chisel Extremes. I have a Trypan on my #1 arrow currently to test it out. Used Grim Reaper Razortips with a lot of success for awhile as well... Also like hybrids where you get fixed cut around 1” and mech cut too.

Comment

With my setup I’m shooting 545gr with a 200 spine arrow.

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                    I still err towards a strong tip in case bone is hit. I went back to Rage when they came out with the Chisel Tip and the shock collar. Really liking the 2 Blades 2.3” Chisel Extremes. I have a Trypan on my #1 arrow currently to test it out. Used Grim Reaper Razortips with a lot of success for awhile as well... Also like hybrids where you get fixed cut around 1” and mech cut too.

I’ve shot the COC rage extreme on a big boat and blew right through him at about 45 yards haven’t really shot to many expanding heads.

I also shot a large boat directly in the shield with a grim reaper carni 4 520 grains of arrow at 18-20 yards and had about 4” at most of penetration. Obviously shot placement is key but I wanted to see what would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly, I think it depends on what you want to achieve and how your bow is set up. For instance, if you shoot a single pin slider, faster may be a little better which means a lighter arrow. In this case you may be able to set your pin at 25 and cover any shot from 15-30 without having to adjust your sight. Or, if you shoot fixed pins you could go heavier and slower Bc your pins are already pre determined. If you shoot whitetail and pigs, and your first her shot is 25 yards, heavy isn’t as big of a deal really as long as you make a well placed shot. I will say that I’m not sold on overly heavy and extreme foc. I’ve killed large game with less and had phenomenal results.

My current arrow is 468 grains and 278 fps with 13% foc. I shoot fixed out west for big game so I try to stay around 280 FPS for easier tuning on long range shots. In North America and almost all of Africa, it’s more than plenty. My elk this year was very slightly quartering to at 22 yards and I hit him slightly high and behind the shoulder. (High Bc he was below me). The arrow deflected off a rib bone and penetrated diagonally through him and stuck 8-10 inches out of the back of his off side ham. That’s some serious penetration. Last years bull was killed with an arrow with exact same weight and speed yet was 16% foc. That was a 55 yard shot through both shoulders above the leg bone and travelled another 20 yards and stuck 3” into the dirt. Again, amazing penetration. So I have zero doubts my arrow will have an issue with a Texas whitetail. I’ve yet to kill one with this set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                        If your fixed blades are flying true out to 40 I wouldn’t change set ups definitely wouldn’t change to a mechanical head

Comment

570 grains, around 20%FOC, fixed Simmons head.

Comment

I have shot heavy and light arrows. Haven't had any issues with either.

Personally, I think accuracy and the right broadhead choice are the most important factors for deer.

I don't try to hit an exact weight total and walk off. I more concerned with arrow accuracy and forgiveness with all broadheads. I'll try out a lot of different arrows, spine, lengths and weights before i make my choice.
                            With a tuned bow it doesn't make a lot of difference but I still take it a step farther than that and find the combination that works the best for my bow.

I know the next step like that is unnecessary but I like to tinker. Lol

Having said that...For me currently, my arrow weight is 422 grains for whitetail deer. I don't see myself changing anytime soon. It's my favorite setup to date.

It's a personal preference but it is fun to tinker

Comment

425 grains @ 280fps. My arrows are 16% FOC. QAD exodus. Animals don’t really like it too much it tends to make them go into my freezer.

Comment

Working...
                              X