How do you deal with reality checks..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you deal with reality checks..

Everyone has dreams and I love the idea people putting everything they have into fulfilling those dreams..

But all too often, we hold onto those dreams for way too long and a reality check hits you in the face. That reality check rears its ugly head with bold predictions your dreams, no matter how simple, will never come to pass.

The "we don't have the money" statement is verbalized way too much for me and I'm sick of it.

How do yall stay positive year in and year out..

A man, has just got to know his limitations.............
    Realize them, accept them, deal with them............
    And live your life accordingly................
    Life, ain't about the "money"...........
    It's about the experience............
    There's a lot more things, out there that take little money........
    Find'em................

Comment

First off I don't worry about anyone's business but my own. If I hear someone sigh or I think they're having a rough day they better not expect me to ask what's wrong. I don't need that negativity in my life.

2nd off I will fulfill my dreams if they mean that much to me. I'll put them as priority #1 in my life even if that means destroying relationship with other people.

In other words I live to make me happy because I've seen where caring what other people think or trying to make their lives easier gets you. It gets you further behind on your dreams and you don't have enough time on this earth to be messin with that. I also know dreams from reality and if I know something is beyond the possibility of what I can get done I don't worry about that for one more second of my life because setting goals for yourself that you will never achieve is depressing. Life is too short to be bummed out over things you can't change.
      Last edited by okrattler; 03-06-2021, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
        Find'em................
        Ain't that the truth

Comment

I dont know how I deal with it. Just suck it up, I guess. I am a bit of a whiner.

But I know how you feel. A few months before the overreaction to covid hit, I ALMOST realized a lifelong dream to own a real piece of land. 160ac with an old house on it. A bit more than I wanted to pay, but seller accepted lower offer. I put down earnest money and got the ball rolling. Put about $9k in all together and while we waited for title co etc, covid hit.

Long story short, oil crashed, business went to crap and I was forced ( to my great embarrassment and shame ) to cancel the deal...

I was devastated.

Another TBHr ended up buying the property and shot a great buck off it last season.

Still hurts when I think about it. So close.

Some dreams just will never be fulfilled. Some just won't for a long time. Who knows which will be which........

Comment

I think it all depends. And it depends on a lot of different factors.
            1. Are your goals realistic.
            Ex: I'd like to own some land one day. 100 acres is realistic if I bust my rump for it, 1000 acres is a pipe dream. I would rather 1000, but I know short of winning the lotto, this is only a dream.
            2. If you're married, do yalls dreams line up?
            Ex: I had an opportunity to buy 160 acres in KS several years ago that is PRIME hunting land, for a screaming deal. My wife and kids would hardly ever see the place, mostly because they don't have much interest in it, so would choose not to go. I couldn't make it right with myself to tie up that big of a chunk of OUR money on something that only I benefit from.
            3. How hard are you willing to work for it? I could pick up side jobs, eat rice and noodles, sell my toys, downsize my house, get off both leases, this would at least double the amount I could spend on recreational land. (More or better quality place). But that would take away from the right now. I enjoy my off time, I spend it doing things i enjoy now. Family time, hunting, fishing etc.

I realized that my dreams were quite selfish when I got married and had kids. My wife and kids are so much more important than owning land that I had to sort of change my dreams, or at the very least put them on the way back burner. I'm sure I will one day, but that's a long ways out, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

When I feel beat ( particularly when trying to achieve something that matters ) I do think of this quote. ( below ) There are so many people that do nothing to achieve their dreams. They think somehow it will just magically happen. But it won't if you are just a regular working class stiff like me. We have to MAKE it happen. And we will sometimes fail. Will probably fail more than be successful.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
              Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well, from my personal experience when you get the bad news (cancer) it all comes back into focus what matters, God Family Work Recreation (recreation and family go to gether sometimes. I was blessed to get past the C and survive but the rule holds true.
                I'm blessed to have a good wife who is now starting to understand the need to get away from metropolis so the land dream holds true and we will continue to go for it. So chin up don't quit, pray and move forward day to day. To this day I have not shot anything bigger than a 120 10point because I cant pull the trigger with the $ and family in mind with our future goals. Largest I've had in my sites was a 14 point, didn't shoot . The only good buck I'll pay for is for my kids are management 8s but Im completely ok with it.

Comment

Reality hit me many years ago. Continuing to dream is not hurting anything but the reality that I’ll retire with plenty of money and traveling the world has long past

Comment

You can’t do it all, so focus on what is fulfilling and enjoyable and be intentional about enjoying it.

On the flip side... I’ll be ****ed if I’m gonna quit trying because something seems daunting, unachievable, or overwhelming. I would rather try and fail than not try at all. Except singing. I cannot sing , have no desire to sing, and will not be coerced into singing. To hell with singing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                      Find'em................

THIS...

For years I worked several jobs at a time to make the money we needed to have everything, I disappeared for weeks/months on OCONUS details to make the money.

In the end and almost losing my family I realized it wasnt about money , it was about those simple moments lost that I'll never get back.

I set a goal to live within our means and take a job here and slowly chose to live a much simpler life, one filled with family time and those moments that make life what it is, dont get me wrong, there is a place for money and with a goal of slowly paying everything off will have its rewards in the end.

Comment

Some years ago I had a decent job but was wanting more. It was a tough decision for my my wife and I to make to leave a somewhat steady job for the unknown. I was picking an older gentleman's brain about my situation and he told me something that has stuck with me for these years. He said son, you'll never be rich being afraid of going broke. This holds true today. If your afraid of the possibility of the shortcomings from your decisions then you'll never take the leap of faith. If it's something you truly want then just do it, it will all work out if you want it to.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                          You can’t do it all, so focus on what is fulfilling and enjoyable and be intentional about enjoying it.

On the flip side... I’ll be ****ed if I’m gonna quit trying because something seems daunting, unachievable, or overwhelming. I would rather try and fail than not try at all. Except singing. I cannot sing , have no desire to sing, and will not be coerced into singing. To hell with singing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          I'm with this guy ^^.
                          There are no limitations unless your disabled, or legally retarded.
                          It takes a lot for some people to change everything about their life, and claw their way out of the rut, but it's very doable.
                          This is America, and literally anything is possible if you're willing to sacrifice .
                          Never say never!
                          The only absolute in this life is that you will die.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            I'm with this guy ^^.
                            There are no limitations unless your disabled, or legally retarded.
                            It takes a lot for some people to change everything about their life, and claw their way out of the rut, but it's very doable.
                            This is America, and literally anything is possible if you're willing to sacrifice .
                            Never say never!
                            The only absolute in this life is that you will die.
                            And pay taxes lol

Comment

I just go fishing. It makes everything better

Comment

Working...
                              X