Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School board considering NASP

I’m super pumped.
    I asked about doing some trainings at my district (I’m a NASP BAI Trainer) and pitched NASP at the same time.

Admin are not excited and its going to the planning workshop this spring to be started in the Fall!!

I started a program at my last district and its still growing and adding schools, so I’m really excited to get it started here in my home town!

I had a ton of parents over the past 4 years in my last district ask about hunting bows for Christmas! Love this activity [emoji3590]

Good on you for pushing it! NASP is such a positive sport in the schools. I coached for many years.

Comment

One problem with educators is that they always use acronyms instead of words and use them like everyone should know what they stand for. ie ARD, PSAT, BIP, TASSP, 504, PLC. Now, what is a NASP BAI?

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
        One problem with educators is that they always use acronyms instead of words and use them like everyone should know what they stand for. ie ARD, PSAT, BIP, TASSP, 504, PLC. Now, what is a NASP BAI?
        Very true!! You forgot TEKS

Comment

Good for you, sounds fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            Very true!! You forgot TEKS
            National archery in school program. Had to look it up.

Comment

One of the High Schools in Georgetown has an extremely nice archery range. Or atleast they did a few years back.

Comment

That's awesome! I helped start a program at my last school and started one at my current high school. Fortunately, I had district admin that was hugely supportive both times. I see NASP make a profound difference in so many kids lives. I treat it like UIL, as far as eligibility, so it's a huge acedemics motivator for some kids. Good luck with getting a program up and running.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  National Archery in the Schools Program
                  Basic Archery Instructor

Comment

I hope it works out for you. I teach it in my PE class. I haven't done it as much this year due to the circumstances and what's allowed. I have parents each year reach out asking what bow to buy for their student. I also certify them in hunter education. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                      I’m super pumped.
                      I asked about doing some trainings at my district (I’m a NASP BAI Trainer) and pitched NASP at the same time.

Admin are not excited and its going to the planning workshop this spring to be started in the Fall!!

I started a program at my last district and its still growing and adding schools, so I’m really excited to get it started here in my home town!

I had a ton of parents over the past 4 years in my last district ask about hunting bows for Christmas! Love this activity [emoji3590]
                      Good for you! NASP is a ball! I started the first program in Parker County, at our school back in 2008. Now, schools all over the county participate. The program is great for the kids, especially those who have not found their niche yet (athletics, band, etc.). Local matches vs other schools are fun. Qualifying for the State tournament is very gratifying for an up and coming program. Qualifying for, and participating in, the National tournament creates quite a buzz around the school and community. We hauled 25 little archers to the national tournament in Louisville, KY on three different occasions.

Good luck!

And, like Roger states, NASP is an excellent gateway activity leading towards hunting in general, bowhunting, etc. I highly recommend the program for many reasons!
                      Last edited by sandbill; 02-24-2021, 08:37 AM.

Comment

On another note, the NASP 3D (SabineHunter - this acronym stands for national archery in the schools program three dimensional animal target archery.[emoji16]) is awesome as well for getting kids introduced to the idea of hunting and opening up a dialog with those on the fence about the concept of hunting and the why of it all. Even if they never hunt, I think it helps build future adults who are not opposed to hunting and that is as important as creating new hunters, imo.

I've managed to put together a set of all 6 of the NASP Rhinehart targets over the last couple of years and the kids love "animal day" when we set them up to shoot. Also bought this goblin target to use a a reward for things. Accomplish a goal, you get to shoot the "Goblin King!" Kids would have preferred a zombie even more, but I felt that was too human-like for a school target. Depending on your district, this could be another selling point. (3d, not the goblin) In a more urban district, maybe not.

Sorry for derailing your thread. NASP is one of the few things that always brings me out of the shadows to post. Good luck getting approved and started!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by Roger; 02-24-2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Thats great!!! Reach out to your local SCI (Safari Club International) as a lot of chapters are very willing to help fund the $3,000 - $4,000 in upstart equipment. An AG teacher here in Houston I have know for years reached out to me and we had them fully squared away within 90 days. Those kids are super into the program and he uses it as a incentive to keep good OVERALL grades to be able to compete!!!

Comment

That's awesome!! We need one here at our school!

Comment

Originally posted by coachk View Post
                              That's awesome!! We need one here at our school!

Where are you?

I travel to train [emoji16]. Did one in Zapata county this past July at their middle school.
                              I use the equipment from TPWD if the school doesn’t have equipment yet.

Pick a weekend and I’ll schedule a class for y’all and probably pick up some other districts in the area [emoji106]

10 candidates max
                              We follow covid procedures fwiw.

Im in New Braunfels.

Comment

Working...
                              X