No announcement yet.

New project- 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of if not the best of years ('76-78). Looks like a great solid unmolested rig. Ambulance doors, 2F with H42, minimal smog, and front disk. The Warn 8247 is a nice touch as well. Parts aren't hard to find if you know where to look. I'd recommend staying away from most Chinese (Coolcruiser) type parts if possible.

BTW....Your bezel is upside down

Comment

Very nice. In for updates. Good luck.

Comment

Very Nice! Will be watching!

Comment

If you don’t want it I’ll happily take it off your hands

Comment

Man that brings back some great memories. I had a 1976 model that I learned haw to drive in while at the deer lease in Newton. Drove it all through high school and into college. I wish I had it Now.

Comment

New project- 1977 Toyota Land Cruiser

Very nice!

I have an 87 FJ60 I bought in 2007.

They are relatively easy to work on if you have the space. I learned how to do everything from rebuilding the axles, carb, clutch replacement, etc as I went using the factory service manual.

Definitely join ih8mud. They are very helpful and it is a great resource as mentioned above.

If you look on ih8mud there is a database of trusted local mechanics you can use. Particularly ones in DFW, Houston, Austin, and Bonham.

There is also a good used part resource in Austin cruiseryard.com

Keep us posted on the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by sandhillhunter; 02-22-2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

My grandad had one similar when I was really young. That thing would run circles around my dads jeep on the paper mill land around Palestine. I'd love to have one some day. In for updates!

Comment

I had a 74...totaled it in 87. I’ve been looking for a suitable replacement for the past 5 years. Congratulations and I can’t wait to see the restoration.
                  My mechanic was looking for anything salvageable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC5B5C8F-7A0A-4BC8-ACB1-B6858B5CEA57.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	24645035

Todd
                  Last edited by rtarcher; 02-22-2021, 10:37 AM.

Comment

expensive endeavor .. buddy of mine has one, it's beat up but will go anywhere .. restoring is a total different animal and will be hard on your pocket book .. buddy almost had to take a loan to fix master cylinder ...

Comment

Bad Arse!!! Those are beautiful rigs. That is a very nice inheritance sir. In for updates!!!

Comment

These are some of my favorite rigs. My wife will know when I win the lottery because I’ll pull up in the driveway with a classic bronco or an FJ40. Y’all can keep your Ferrari and 500+ HP Audi.

She keeps reminding I have to play to win. I figure the odds are pretty similar.

Comment

Nice

Comment

in for results.
                            My dad had 3 of them when I was very young. One was a truck and we still had it when I went to visit 6 years ago. The engine of a 37+ year old truck ran so quiet, you'd wonder if it was running or not.
                            Last edited by ATI; 02-22-2021, 11:35 AM.

Comment

We had an early 70's FJ55 (wagon) and yes they are tanks. It was heavy and pitifully slow. It had a three on the tree that insisted on being treated with respect. It had manual drum brakes that were marginally better than the Flintstonemobile. And Armstrong steering.

I loved it, but it is not something I would want to spend a heap of money on now.

I had a cat run out in front of me once on a narrow residential street with cars on both sides. I had the brakes almost locked up and just like a Nascar driver I aimed it right for the cat. Unfortunately the cat had never watched Days of Thunder.

Comment

I had one in high school and put a small block in it with 35's. I would pull wheelies out of mud holes. Most of my intestines got jared around pretty good and I probably should have worn a helmet, but man was it fun. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X