Generator - Getting the most out of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator - Getting the most out of it

OK there are a lot of threads on Generators right now. I was wondering how to get the maximum power out of a portable generator. The connections show maybe 2 x 20A connections and maybe a 30A connections. So how do you combine all this power into 1 circuit so you can get the max power out put?

Well, I'll attempt to answer this. those 20 amp circuits are in parallel with the 30 amp circuit breaker. You can't plug a cord into the 30 amp breaker and the two 20 amps and get 50 amps total. Those two 20's are not rated for full 20 amp current flow and that 30 won't handle full 30 amp for extended periods of time. So with all that being said, the 30 amp that you run to your breaker panel will light a freezer, small a/c, or a couple of strings of lights and maybe a freezer or fridge. It would be a mix and match sort of implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post
      OK there are a lot of threads on Generators
      23 this month

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_C View Post
        Well, I'll attempt to answer this. those 20 amp circuits are in parallel with the 30 amp circuit breaker. You can't plug a cord into the 30 amp breaker and the two 20 amps and get 50 amps total. Those two 20's are not rated for full 20 amp current flow and that 30 won't handle full 30 amp for extended periods of time. So with all that being said, the 30 amp that you run to your breaker panel will light a freezer, small a/c, or a couple of strings of lights and maybe a freezer or fridge. It would be a mix and match sort of implementation.
        So if I understand correctly, an 8000 watt generator will not produce 66 amps at 120volts? You will only get something less than 30 amps if connected to that particular circuit, correct? Seems like you are paying for a lot of watts you can't use...

Comment

Ttt.

Comment

So if I understand correctly, an 8000 watt generator will not produce 66 amps at 120volts? You will only get something less than 30 amps if connected to that particular circuit, correct? Seems like you are paying for a lot of watts you can't use...
            You never specified any wattages, and the only information you provided was, "maybe" this or "maybe" that.
            He just gave a generalization, based off what you posted .

Comment

The wattage rating is at 240v. What you can run depends on which plug you are using. The 30a 2 pole ( the weird one ) is 240v. With 8000w that one plug could use all 8000w ( 33.3a ) or dont use it and both of the 20a could put out 16.6a each while both are plugged in. And so on and so on.

Above is assumiing its 240v generator as most larger ones are, especially if designed to power a home
              Last edited by miket; 02-20-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

You cannot combine them to get more amps or volts. You could use a transformer to get more amps or volts ( at the expense of amps or volts conversely) but total max wattage output is unchangeable.

Comment

Thans guys for the info. So if I have the 240V / 30A circuit on gennny wired to my panel I could supply the max apms from that circuit which would be 7200 watts (30 x 240), is this correct?

Comment

Thans guys for the info. So if I have the 240V / 30A circuit on gennny wired to my panel I could supply the max apms from that circuit which would be 7200 watts (30 x 240), is this correct?
                    Not exactly. The 30 amps is the rating of the receptacle and breaker. To find the amp rating of the generator divide the generator continuous watts by 240. For example 4800 watts/240 volts=20 amps. This is the simplified explanation. There are many other factors that come into the equation that can only evaluated on a case by case basis.

Comment

Some good info here, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                      X