DIY Dock Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Dock Rehab

Schedules lined up and this coming weekend we are going to rehab a dock that was built many years ago. Deck and stringers are rotten, and need to replace a few pilings as well. 4 to 8' of water with no ability to drain and work on dry ground.

Anybody done this?

The deck part is pretty straight forward, but the pilings are where we'd love some DIY braintrust help. We are planning on jetting them in with a trash pump and using the same trash pump to help remove the old post. No boat lifts or any big weight on these posts, just deck for people to stand on and kids to swim from. Will have boats tied up to it on occasion, but that is rare. Bottom is mostly sand, not sure how deep until we run into clay.

For those of you that have done it, any advice? How deep would you set the piling? Any tricks to jetting them in? Diagonal cross bracing necessary under the water? Would love any advice or tips you might have.

You might want to ask DRT (Gary). He is doing that for a living these days.

Comment

We built a driver, just like a t-post driver but big enough to drive 4x4s. Cut a point on the end and drive it in. Not real easy but it works. Both piers we did have made it through record floods on the river.

Comment

Thank you both.

Hopefully DRT will chime in. Would love his input

Panhandlehunter, how deep were you able to drive them? What kind of bottom did y'all have? Hope those floods go away soon

Comment

Pot committed
          Attached Files

Comment

I’ve never worked on one that didn’t float, but I’m down like four flat tires to see how this goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We pay in natty lights. Come on with it

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                We built a driver, just like a t-post driver but big enough to drive 4x4s. Cut a point on the end and drive it in. Not real easy but it works. Both piers we did have made it through record floods on the river.
                Did the same thing.....got on a ladder and lift that heavy son of a gun up over your head to put it on the post and get to driving. If you have access and close enough to the shore you can do it with a back hoe using bucket as a driver.

Comment

IN...good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                    Did the same thing.....got on a ladder and lift that heavy son of a gun up over your head to put it on the post and get to driving. If you have access and close enough to the shore you can do it with a back hoe using bucket as a driver.
                    Thought about the heavy machinery route but momma didn't want her grass messed up. Darn things are 30ish feet out too and those long sticks are expensive...

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    IN...good luck.
                    Gracias

Comment

You should be able to use a water hose and a long pipe attached to the end of it to dig your hole to set the post. Just turn on the water and start poking around with the post sitting on the ground it will start blowing a hole.

Comment

Watching!!

Comment

Is this work, or a friend project?

Comment

Originally posted by scotth89 View Post
                            You should be able to use a water hose and a long pipe attached to the end of it to dig your hole to set the post. Just turn on the water and start poking around with the post sitting on the ground it will start blowing a hole.
                            Thanks. We are using a 3 inch trash pump necked down to either 2 inches 1.5.

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            Watching!!

Thanks

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Is this work, or a friend project?

I'm the one conning friends to help this time.

Comment

Got here around 630 and started unloading. Had to hand carry the lumber down and I'm glad we did most of it tonight.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X