No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am envious of all yall going in Sept. I have unitl Oct. 12... feels like forever!

Just got my LO voucher in for Unit 76! Pretty stoked!

Comment

Elk, Bear, Mule Deer Archery tags are in my pack
      4 weeks in the Mts starting Aug 31st--public land-- free range ---my favorite time of year---sweet!!

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
        Elk, Bear, Mule Deer Archery tags are in my pack
        4 weeks in the Mts starting Aug 31st--public land-- free range ---my favorite time of year---sweet!!
        How do you get to spend 4 weeks up there???

I wish!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          How do you get to spend 4 weeks up there???

I wish!
          It's called working hard for 40 years and retiring. It don't suck

Comment

Another question about water. Ive seen in this thread and in othernlaces that water can be found usually easily. My question are these places easy to find on a arial or topo maps? Ive promised myself i will do a diy in 2014, but water and packing out a possible kill are two issues im not wrapping my head around.
            2 weeks ago i bought a nice mountain bike and have been riding 2 to 15 miles a day. I used to work on a hunting ranch and walked mile after mile after mile, but im now working as a pipeline operator. Between bike riding and insanity started a year and a couple of months before season i hope to be in great shape.

Comment

Awesome man! Glad you are enjoying your retirement

Comment

Just bought my 10 YOA son Hunter a cow elk tag in the Gila for Christmas. Super pumped about this hunt.

Comment

I plan on retiring in May. 4 weeks chasing elk and other critters in the mountains is #1 on my list.

Comment

I cannot remember an outside the lines story ever being wrong

Comment

Man i cannot freaking wait... I have been going over what all i need.. Ordered a new bow.. And have bought way to much new stuff..

Comment

Originally posted by doublearrow View Post
                        Another question about water. Ive seen in this thread and in othernlaces that water can be found usually easily. My question are these places easy to find on a arial or topo maps? Ive promised myself i will do a diy in 2014, but water and packing out a possible kill are two issues im not wrapping my head around.
                        As for water it'll depend on the area you hunt. I have not had a problem finding water In CO or WY but have not hunted past about 10.5K ft. There were always running streams in Sept. The closer to timberline you go the more scarce water will be. In SW states you really have to make a good plan. I've hunted NV and NM and had to make a very good plan for water and for caching water there. GE with a Topo plugin is very good for finding potential water. There are a lot of Springs marked on the 7 minute maps. At least a few will hold water so mark as many as possible in the area you are going to hunt.

Hauling Elk out, is something guys think about but if you've not been in high, steep country with thin air and a heavy pack it's hard to comprehend how hard this could be. An average boned out Bull Elk will yield around 200# of meat. Figure 2-3 hours to carve him up and 50# loads. You'll average 1 to 1.5 MPH hauling a load out. Remember this when you plan to dive into a wilderness 5 miles deep solo. The best bet IMO is to get a packer lined up if you are in very deep. It'll cost you about $300-$500 per critter and it will be well worth it.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhogboy View Post
                          Pretty sure it will be DIY. I'll have a little family support and don't have an extra 4-5K to go guided.
                          Well, The Hogboy is going elk hunting. I bought my license and tags this morning, so looks like I'm committed. Idaho Panhandle Zone A tag, archery and antlered only. Plane tickets already in hand, I'll probably spend a week in the woods, Sept 14-21.

I want to thank all of the people who have posted on this thread. I started dreaming/planning this trip in January and this thread has been both inspirational and a valuable source of information for me.

Comment

Well, The Hogboy is going elk hunting. I bought my license and tags this morning, so looks like I'm committed. Idaho Panhandle Zone A tag, archery and antlered only. Plane tickets already in hand, I'll probably spend a week in the woods, Sept 14-21.

I want to thank all of the people who have posted on this thread. I started dreaming/planning this trip in January and this thread has been both inspirational and a valuable source of information for me.
                            If you feel comfortable discussing on a public forum, why did you choose the Panhandle? I too am interested in Idaho as a DIY OTC alternative to Colorado but my research has lead me to the southeastern portion of the state and along the Oregon line in the Hells Canyon area.

Comment

Cool! I hope you have a great experience, you will be hooked.

Comment

Oregon line Hells canyon. I have been told hold some big bulls but it is straight up and down.

Comment

Working...
                                X