Purchasing land by owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing land by owner

We are looking at purchasing some land from a friend of ours. We are not financing it through a mortgage so will not be bound by any lending agreements.

My question is should we go through a title company to get a warranty deed or just use a real estate attorney and have a basic deed transfer done.
    Our friends have a title policy that they got less than a year ago when they purchased the land.

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
    We are looking at purchasing some land from a friend of ours. We are not financing it through a mortgage so will not be bound by any lending agreements.

My question is should we go through a title company to get a warranty deed or just use a real estate attorney and have a basic deed transfer done.
    Our friends have a title policy that they got less than a year ago when they purchased the land.
    The cost of a title policy should be minimal in the grand scheme of things. I would highly suggest you purchase one. Your friends title policy does nothing for you as the new owner.

Comment

Following!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
        The cost of a title policy should be minimal in the grand scheme of things. I would highly suggest you purchase one. Your friends title policy does nothing for you as the new owner.
        This! Always CYA ,just in case.

Comment

I wouldn’t buy land from my own parents without a title policy. Sometimes land can become encumbered without the owner even being aware. Title policy makes sure it’s a clear title. Cheap insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea, don't even consider going without a title policy...

Comment

I would recommend both, because they do different things. The RE attorney can set up the contract and explain it to both sides. The title co. handles the transfer of title and issues the title ins. The one from a year ago will not carry over to you. Unfortunately, That's not how it works.

Comment

I guess my logic was that if they had a clean title with their title policy back in December, then the only risk would be if our friends had a lien on the land.

I made a couple phone calls and it seems like it will be about $1500 for a title policy.

Comment

I guess my logic was that if they had a clean title with their title policy back in December, then the only risk would be if our friends had a lien on the land.

I made a couple phone calls and it seems like it will be about $1500 for a title policy.
                  In the grand scheme it is well worth it, if nothing else just for piece of mind.

Comment

I'm a little confused, are you paying cash or are they carrying a Note for you? If they're carrying a Note, there will still be a "lending agreement," unless they are complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by SB09 View Post
                      Yea, don't even consider going without a title policy...
                      This^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                        I'm a little confused, are you paying cash or are they carrying a Note for you? If they're carrying a Note, there will still be a "lending agreement," unless they are complete fools.

What he said

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Originally posted by Grayson View Post
                          Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                          What he said

From my Make Believe World
                          We are paying cash.

Comment

Do you intend to build on it? Will you finance the construction?

Comment

That is by far not your only risk. A claim against the title could arise that wasn't discovered on previous title work and if you are sitting there with no policy then you are SOL.

Comment

Working...
                              X