Question for those who elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those who elk hunt

Do you use your same set up (i.e. arrows and heads) for whitetail as you do elk? I have some FMJs with 125 grain heads with a total arrow weight close to 600. Wondering if I should go lighter for whitetail, or just roll with the same equip.

I don't hunt white tails with a bow just because bow elk season is the same time as white tail and I'd rather hunt elk, but I would use the same set up for both if I was hunting white tails with my bow.

Comment

Leave it alone

Comment

I use the exact same set-up except when hunting whitetail, I like Rage hypodermics. When hunting elk, I have QAD exodus on the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
          I use the exact same set-up except when hunting whitetail, I like Rage hypodermics. When hunting elk, I have QAD exodus on the end.
          Those are my heads as well.

Comment

600 grains puts you close to the sweet spot. Definitely dont decrease poundage.[emoji1018][emoji1018][emoji1018]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

You're good.

Comment

same set up

Comment

No disadvantage shooting heavy on whitetail especially at short distances. You should be able to pass through any shoulder at that weight and distance.

Comment

I’ve taken 2 elk with Easton aluminum XX75 shafts and 125gr Thunderheads.

Comment

heavy is better than light and fast for elk. It seems that most guys try to find a perfect blend of speed for trajectory reasons and weight for penetration. so many end up with a set up of like 425min to 525 grns. naturally the trad guys have heavier set ups. So if your shot is longer than say about 40yds you like having a little more speed to help make sure you hit the right spot. but bottom line is you have to hit the spot to kill these big boys.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        Do you use your same set up (i.e. arrows and heads) for whitetail as you do elk? I have some FMJs with 125 grain heads with a total arrow weight close to 600. Wondering if I should go lighter for whitetail, or just roll with the same equip.

Continue laying down hate with the current set up imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Stick with the same setup. That way if you hit shoulder on a whitetail you have more of a chance to blow through it than throwing some lightweight arrow setup at it to pick up a few FPS.

Comment

I'm at 540 grains for everything I shoot at.. you won't notice any trajectory issues at whitetail distances.. sweet spot for me is above 500 grains and above 270 ft per second..

Comment

Anything that will harvest Elk will harvest WT. Tune your Elk setup to perfection and have fun. Now.... If you need an excuse to buy new BH's or Arrows that's a different thread. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X