Freeport Wade Fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeport Wade Fishing

Does anyone know where you can wade fish around Freeport area? I’m not looking for a secret spot but general areas would be much appreciated. I’ve got some spots around bolivar but the family has decided that Freeport is the new family vacation spot so I need to figure something out quick.

Surf is washed out right now. You can wade fish Christmas bay. Go toward galveston & there are trails going to the bay where people launch kayaks. I've never waded there ,so may be muddy bottom.

Comment

Vacation in Freeport?

Comment

Christmas and drum bay can both be muddy. I’ve caught fish in both, but never completely tore them up.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          Vacation in Freeport?
          Lol I’m with this. You need to convince them to go a little further south.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            Vacation in Freeport?
            Hahaha, not my call. I just show up and enjoy the family time. The beach (Bolivar mostly) has been a family vacation for 30yrs. We are going offshore Monday so I just need to fill 1 morning with wade fishing. I’m taking the wife and 2yr old through the hill country starting Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              Surf is washed out right now. You can wade fish Christmas bay. Go toward galveston & there are trails going to the bay where people launch kayaks. I've never waded there ,so may be muddy bottom.
              This. You can almost wade that whole bay. Just find a trail leading to the water and get after it.

Comment

If you want to wade, fish Christmas or drum bay. Look for the radio tower and hang a left. If you want to sit on the bank and catch fish, I’d go to the coast guard station and throw out finger mullet or crab. Shrimp will work too but the ribbonfish will eat your lunch if you let them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been fishing Freeport for 15 years strong now and never had an awesome wade fishing trip. (Except the surf). I have to boat it to be successful...but that also may just show you how good of a fisherman i am...haha. (unless your idea of a awesome wade is 3 assorted keepers)

Comment

Like the man above said take the Bluewater Highway towards San Luis Pass and look for the radio/cell tower. Take a left then take your first right and follow that road around till you come to the bay. I have been fishing that area since the mid-70s. Only 10 pound trout I’ve ever seen, we caught there. Have limited out numerous times. If tide is very high the redfish will be up against the grass. Best way to catch them up against the grasses is with a clear bobber and a live shrimp. I have also caught quite a few flounder. Weedless gold spoon is one of my go to lures for that area.

Comment

Mouth of the Brazos is good but be sure to wear a life jacket.

Comment

Go over the San Luis Pass bridge to the Galveston side and drive to the bay side. Be careful not to get stuck and watch the tide. Wade out to the second gut, Be mindful of the currents there, but you can catch some really nice trout there early and late..

Comment

thanks for all the feedback guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                            Go over the San Luis Pass bridge to the Galveston side and drive to the bay side. Be careful not to get stuck and watch the tide. Wade out to the second gut, Be mindful of the currents there, but you can catch some really nice trout there early and late..
                            San Luis Pass might be what i do. We had a good wade out there last summer but got to the spot by boat. Not sure i would want to wade all the way to the locations i know about there but i am sure there are other hot spots not far from the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                              That is exactly where I almost died twice. Be careful around there.

Comment

Working...
                              X