No announcement yet.

Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also. [emoji2957]. For all ford straight axles that have a ball joint at the track bar. It has to be replaced with the oem ball joint. All others ( moog) will have too much play and the problem will still be there. Also replace the bushing at the frame in the track bar. These are the most common parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      I have a 2012 F-250 4x4 with the PSD, 20" factory rims, MT tires at 50 psi. My truck has 150k miles. Suspension is bone stock (Have not replaced anything in the front end yet) except for replacing shocks that were blown for 9 months. Both before and after the new shocks, I've never had death wobble. I drive the same stretch of road OP drives.

There is more variables to the problem than just a castor angle. According to a lot of folks on this thread, I should have had it. My personal opinion, it happens due to two causes. 1) Guys running factory 18" rims that they run with low tire pressures, 2) guys who put giant tires on their truck with the cheapest lift they can find. It also doesn't help that Ford puts the absolute ****tiest shocks they can find from the bargain bin on their trucks. Even the FX-4 shocks are complete garbage. The shock shaft diameter is the same as most SUV's that weigh half of a Superduty.
      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      I don't fit either category.

Mark called yesterday and they've been given authorization to replace with an aftermarket part to get me back on the road. Thanks Mark!
      Same for me, I don't fit either category. All the suspension on my truck was 100% factory prior to the death wobble. Lariat, FX4 w/20" rims. Even still had the factory tires. A friend mind just bought a used 2019 identical to mine except it has replacement bumpers. He got death wobble on the way home in it.

Comment

Mark called yesterday and they've been given authorization to replace with an aftermarket part to get me back on the road. Thanks Mark!
        You are lucky to have some clout in social media, seems most of us who have been dealing with the same service department’s
        And have gotten “ your tires are un balance,you need less pressure in your tires, steering stabilizer is bad or even “ there’s a nut loose behind the steering wheel “
        It’s good to hear a service manager finally say uncle “ this guy reaches lots of ford SD drivers and if we can get one fixed this is the one we need “
        Glad to hear that at least one person can get some satisfaction

Comment

Sucks man!! I’m ready to pull the trigger on a new body style Super Duty but this one issue is holding me back

Comment

I had it in my 08 F250. I got the BD Diesel adjustable track bar and have not had a problem since. As mentioned before, go aftermarket for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
              I had it in my 08 F250. I got the BD Diesel adjustable track bar and have not had a problem since. As mentioned before, go aftermarket for sure.

That’s a good track bar.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                That’s a good track bar.

I have done two of my buddies trucks as well and have not had the issue since.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  I have done two of my buddies trucks as well and have not had the issue since.

I think it only fits lifted trucks though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                    Death wobble is a problem for vehicles with a solid front axel hence not an F150 for the gentlemen asking. Further more it is caused by numerous problems in the suspension from worn parts to incorrect geometry. Unfortunately a steering stabilizer can neither cause nor fix death wobble. It’s nothing more than a shock or dampener for the steering linkage just like a shock or strut. Hopefully they’re not using this a “fix” for what sounds like a widespread problem.
                    My thought's also, a dampner shock helps hide the problem for a little while. My jeep I replaced a single bolt on the track bar to a bigger size than factory and never had another problem yet.

Comment

Might have to get aftermarket upgraded parts for the front suspension to fix it. Might talk company into paying for it. Or have company invoke lemon law and proceed that way.

When my '04 dodge developed the DW all I did was replace all my front suspension myself and that was the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zac View Post
                        Same for me, I don't fit either category. All the suspension on my truck was 100% factory prior to the death wobble. Lariat, FX4 w/20" rims. Even still had the factory tires. A friend mind just bought a used 2019 identical to mine except it has replacement bumpers. He got death wobble on the way home in it.
                        Same question for both of you, what PSI were your tires at?

As for your friend, he added weight to the front that was not in the original design for those crappy shocks. Those shocks are not meant to handle that extra weight (And it's a LOT with replacement bumpers). Those shocks are barely fit for a small SUV.

To be clear, I am not doubting either of you. I am genuinely interested as a matter of another data-point. It's literally the first time I've heard of the factory 20" rim, no offset, with stock size tires getting the DW.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                          You are lucky to have some clout in social media, seems most of us who have been dealing with the same service department’s
                          And have gotten “ your tires are un balance,you need less pressure in your tires, steering stabilizer is bad or even “ there’s a nut loose behind the steering wheel “
                          It’s good to hear a service manager finally say uncle “ this guy reaches lots of ford SD drivers and if we can get one fixed this is the one we need “
                          Glad to hear that at least one person can get some satisfaction
                          I'm pretty sure it was a simple coincidence that Mark got the authorization around the time I posted. If it was "clout", I should have played that card sooner!

It is great having somebody I know and trust to keep me updated on it, though.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

As for your friend, he added weight to the front that was not in the original design for those crappy shocks. Those shocks are not meant to handle that extra weight (And it's a LOT with replacement bumpers). Those shocks are barely fit for a small SUV.

To be clear, I am not doubting either of you. I am genuinely interested as a matter of another data-point. It's literally the first time I've heard of the factory 20" rim, no offset, with stock size tires getting the DW.

I have. It’s how the tire wears. That’s why when you rotate it still keeps happening. It’s rare but if all parts are in good shape with no movement. Put another set of tires on and I bet it stops. I have had to warranty out tires due this.

Comment

Originally posted by dmack View Post
                              I have. It’s how the tire wears. That’s why when you rotate it still keeps happening. It’s rare but if all parts are in good shape with no movement. Put another set of tires on and I bet it stops. I have had to warranty out tires due this.

I run my tires around 65-70psi. Yes, his was not as factory as mine but I also don't think his front bumper caused his death wobble. Ranchhands are about the heaviest replacement available and they are under 300 lbs for this truck. A relatively small number in the big picture for what this truck is rated for and much less than something like a snow plow. And I'm aware the "snow plow" package from Ford has +1 springs so it's slightly different and not a great comparison.

Mine has stopped with a new steering stabilizer. I am not suggesting the steering stabilizer is the cause. I assume the cause is a byproduct of the SFA system where both tires are tied together with a solid bar (I've been a GM guy previously so my SFA knowledge is limited). But it seems like all SFA systems experience death wobble at some point. I will say confidently that my factory stabilizer shock had failed and that was the point that I experienced death wobble in my truck. Letting the stabilizer sit for a few seconds I could easily move it an inch in either direction by hand. That lack of initial resistance is what I think allowed my truck to start shaking uncontrollably when going over specific bumps.

I just noticed in my first post I said the stabilizer is causing the problem. Poor wording, maybe I should've said furthering or not preventing. At any rate a new steering stabilizer has fixed my problems for the last several thousand miles.
                              Last edited by Zac; 01-09-2020, 10:10 AM. Reason: Couldn't edit first post so I added something to this one.

Comment

He is correct. If a stabilizer has any soft spots. As he described in the play action of an inch or two. Is very bad. It needs to be replaced. That small amount will give the truck just enough motion to get out of control. It only takes a quarter of an inch to get it started in the wobble. Like a worn track bar ball joint. And the stabilizer does not have too be leaking for this too happen. The new JL Jeep has a recall on their stabilizers just for this reason. And on a side not. The weight of the bumper didn’t cause the issue. I bet it helped the truck more then hurting it. By lowering it down a little. Just like you are more likely to have the DW when towing. As it lifts the front of the truck higher and takes even more caster away.

Comment

Working...
                                X