The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWP View Post
    Sweet!!! Congrats man. Gonna be in Gods country, "marrow of the world" as they say. Will give you a shout this summer when I do a couple scouting trips. Maybe talk you and Snyder into teaching me the ways of the wapiti.
    You might be better off talking to Aron, unless you want to know what not to do....then I'm you're man!

Comment

Speaking of sheds? Is it possible that this shed found recently is the same as the bull that I shot this past oct?

Here is the shed:

Here is the bull I shot the one on the right:

Comment

Originally posted by a3dhunter View Post
        BTW guys, I'm headed up to Colorado this weekend.

Will spend some time near Cuchara and La Veta near the Spanish Peaks, then on up to Colorado Springs.

Hope you guys enjoy this Texas weather while I'm gone!
        Good trip my friend! Talked to a co-worker and Denver just had snow. Good or bad I don"t know.

Comment

Originally posted by drthornton View Post
          Good trip my friend! Talked to a co-worker and Denver just had snow. Good or bad I don"t know.
          Yeah, I was checking forecast and mid 40's today and mid 50's Saturday, so at least the roads will be clear. Barely below freezing tonight so things should be fine.

ladrones:
          I can't tell if that shed is balled up on top of the fourth or not, that would be the determining factor in my mind. If it is just chewed off then probably not, if it looks like it was balled up on the end then maybe so. Anything is possible. Cerntainly looks similar.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
            Speaking of sheds? Is it possible that this shed found recently is the same as the bull that I shot this past oct?

Here is the shed:

Here is the bull I shot the one on the right:
            WOW! I would at least claim it is.

Comment

I'll be moving my fifth wheel up to Colorado Springs to a friends house so I have somewhere to stay while checking on jobs and looking for a house.
              That is the area I have thought about moving to. I would like to check out Woodland Park for a home sight. There is a company in Colorado Springs that a buddy of mine knows well. He goes there a few times a year to help them with plastic molding machines. He says that they are growing big time, but I cant remember the name of the company. They make solar shingles. Look them up. He says it is a great company.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                That is the area I have thought about moving to. I would like to check out Woodland Park for a home sight. There is a company in Colorado Springs that a buddy of mine knows well. He goes there a few times a year to help them with plastic molding machines. He says that they are growing big time, but I cant remember the name of the company. They make solar shingles. Look them up. He says it is a great company.
                LOL
                and the name would be???

I've been keeping my eye open for opportunities.

I've checked google, it hasn't helped.
                I may just have to move up there to be able to get a feel for the job I want. Pretty hard to find something when living 6 hours away and not looking for a specific field of work, or not being highly qualified in one area of expertise.
                Not sure I want to do either of the jobs I have had for the last 10 years.
                Last edited by a3dhunter; 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Finally some pics.... Nice elk. I'm just have the fever so bad I'm loosing sleep. Don't know if I can make it other six months.

This thread is just making it worse

Comment

LOL
                    and the name would be???

I've been keeping my eye open for opportunities.

I've checked google, it hasn't helped.
                    I may just have to move up there to be able to get a feel for the job I want. Pretty hard to find something when living 6 hours away and not looking for a specific field of work, or not being highly qualified in one area of expertise.
                    Not sure I want to do either of the jobs I have had for the last 10 years.
                    Workin on it.

Comment

Originally posted by ELKAHOLIC View Post
                      Workin on it.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just got the go ahead from a very sympathetic and understanding principal and superintendent. Sept. bow hunt for elk is a go. I am so frickin pumped, I don't even know what to do. I really thought they would look at me like I'm nuts or something, but they suggested to go to CO and "call in sick." Can't wait. I really wish I had a partner, but I'm doing this no matter what.

Now for the important part. I may or may not be able to scout, and I know this has been beat to death, but this is a reality now. I need to know if I should beyond a shadow of a doubt find time to scout, or will I be ok lining up days and scouting when I get there? I will be going on a family vacation this summer to CO, but with the small kids, they will be unable to do any type of this kind of scouting. Also, I want to narrow down where I'm looking. If you have any suggestions other than talking with biologists or looking for certain topographic features, I need all the help I can get.

To update those who have been helping me, I have lost thirty pounds, been carrying around 65lbs on the Cache Hauler for 6miles, and I have been jogging and busting my butt to get in shape for this. Started with the trad bow also, so not sure what will be best when I actually hit the mountains in September. I'm so pumped right now, so I'm going to have to shut it down. Thanks for the great thread.

Comment

Originally posted by marshrat View Post
                              Just got the go ahead from a very sympathetic and understanding principal and superintendent. Sept. bow hunt for elk is a go. I am so frickin pumped, I don't even know what to do. I really thought they would look at me like I'm nuts or something, but they suggested to go to CO and "call in sick." Can't wait. I really wish I had a partner, but I'm doing this no matter what.

Now for the important part. I may or may not be able to scout, and I know this has been beat to death, but this is a reality now. I need to know if I should beyond a shadow of a doubt find time to scout, or will I be ok lining up days and scouting when I get there? I will be going on a family vacation this summer to CO, but with the small kids, they will be unable to do any type of this kind of scouting. Also, I want to narrow down where I'm looking. If you have any suggestions other than talking with biologists or looking for certain topographic features, I need all the help I can get.

To update those who have been helping me, I have lost thirty pounds, been carrying around 65lbs on the Cache Hauler for 6miles, and I have been jogging and busting my butt to get in shape for this. Started with the trad bow also, so not sure what will be best when I actually hit the mountains in September. I'm so pumped right now, so I'm going to have to shut it down. Thanks for the great thread.
                              Like many have said scouting in CO is more to get an ideal of access points and the lay of the land and such. If you can't make it you just have to go. I don't think it is a deal breaker at all. Any time you have visited the country you are going to hunt it is a plus but sometimes it's not possible. My first OTC CO experience was last year and we couldn't scout. If the elk would have been holding in that area without a doubt we would have been on them by the 2nd day. We split up the first day and all covered different country. Seen a few elk just very many.

With that said I would work extra hard to know every last detail you can find about where you decide to go. Take good notes and have back up plans per say. Overall just go in to this as a learning experience and you will be just fine.

I bet you can find a partner on here if you just look hard enough. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Ladrones that's a great bull you killed! It looks like someone lit the tips of his daggers on fire while in velvet and melted them down.

If you look at the shed antler...his G1 curls up way more than your bull's G1. I have no idea if that trait comes back year after year or not...

That's a good shed antler too. The few that I have found have been chew up pretty good by the time Sept rolls around.

Most of the big sheds at the ranch we hunt are picked up by the ranch hand in the alfalfa fields right after they drop. But we find a few stragglers climbing the mountains.

Comment

Working...
                                X