Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When’s the last time it was pumped out?

Comment

When ours developed a smell- it is time to pump the tanks out.

Comment

They usually have two diaphragm in the aerator. One can go bad and not let enough air get into the tank while still working. Ide check the diaphragm in the aerator

Comment

That's what happened with ours last year and is an easy fix

Comment

Could also be due to hydraulic overload or any chemicals dumped into the system killing off the good bacteria. Have seen some cases where certain cancer medications being used by homeowners was killing off the plant and not treating the wastewater. Check your clarifier for any floc accumulation.
            Last edited by Kmiles84; 06-30-2020, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Any TBHers who service Aerobic Septic

Originally posted by Kmiles84 View Post
              Could also be due to hydraulic overload or any chemicals dumped into the system killing off the good bacteria. Have seen some cases where certain cancer medications being used by homeowners was killing off the plant and not treatment the wastewater. Check your clarifier for any floc accumulation.

That’s my cue to call a pro. Any tbhers in the business before I call? Thank everyone for their info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Most of the aerator pumps have rebuild kits. It could still be running without actually aerating. As said above the filter could be plugged up. If it’s a cheaper pump it could be diaphragms that need replaced. In my solids tank I can actually look in there and see if the aerator is working or not by the bubbles it produces.

Comment

When an aerobic system gets stinky it's because something has caused it to go anaerobic.

Most commonly it's something to do with the air pump. It could be the air line between the pump and tank is broken.

Adding more chlorine masks the problem temporarily. it does not solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                    When an aerobic system gets stinky it's because something has caused it to go anaerobic.

Most commonly it's something to do with the air pump. It could be the air line between the pump and tank is broken.

Adding more chlorine masks the problem temporarily. it does not solve the problem.
                    Thank you sir.

Comment

We put RidX in ours a few times a month to promote good bacterial growth, check the chlorine tabs and make sure the airator is working. they are super simple systems.

Comment

If you open the lid on your middle tank there will be a pvc pipe with a 90 turned down. There should be a fitting there that you can unscrew and pull the diffuser up. You will know it it’s getting air from the aerator. They can get clogged especially if you have hard water. You can pick them up for like $10 they screw right on the end of a hose. When you put it back be sure to run it down the side of the tank and that it goes into the cone. If you give it a tug it should stay in place to make sure you have it installed correctly. Sounds complicated but it’s really easy to do yourself. I’m sure there a YouTube video for it.

I’ve watched my guy do it and now I do it myself. Mine gets bad cause of the hard water and it seems to happen after we loose power. You can also buy the rebuild kit for the aerator on line and do that yourself also, you’ll save yourself about $350.

Hope that helps you out. What ever you do don’t dump chlorine directly into your tanks. Not good, and the chlorine has nothing to do with odor. It’s the diffuser or the aerator pump you have an issue with.

Comment

Also, when they did the inspection last time was there a bunch of sludge and did they recommend you getting it pumped? May need pumped out, depending on the size of your system will be about ?450

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                            Also, when they did the inspection last time was there a bunch of sludge and did they recommend you getting it pumped? May need pumped out, depending on the size of your system will be about ?450
                            No, everything checked out.

Comment

Chlorine it. When I noticed mine, it was smelling out of our sprinkler's. I made sure and put it in from now on.

Makes sure it is it is getting oxygen to your system.

May need to be pumped.

Check the lids, make sure they are put on good and not cracked.

Comment

I would try to the diffuser then.

Comment

Working...
                                X