San Angelo SP Gun Deer Antlerless/spike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
    New to the page. Found it searching for information on the park, I was also drawn for the November 12-14 hunt. I’ll be in a cabin #1. I’ll be hunting alone so I decided to make it easy on myself, brother-in-law backed out. Hope to meet some of you out there.
    Just ready you had rented your cabin. Typically my son and I tent camp; but my co-worker going with us wants a cabin. I didn't think we could reserve this early (based on a call I made). Called SAST again today who referred me to the reservation line in Austin 512-389-8900. I reserved our cabin for the 11-14. Cabin 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryango View Post
      Me and Stoof drew this hunt. This will be my first time there, will be tent camping 11th-14th. I’ll post when I have my campsite, come on by and have a beer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Look forward to meeting you. We just booked cabin 2. we'll be driving in from the Houston area Monday.

Comment

Cypress Hunter, I’ll be coming in Monday as well. The lady in Austin told me there wasn’t much to the cabins. She said the restrooms are a short walk but the showers you’ll have to drive to. I plan on bringing a Coleman stove and a grill. Maybe by the time this hunt goes down, I can get a head count of people staying at the park and bring something for a big dinner one night.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatom View Post
          Cypress Hunter, I’ll be coming in Monday as well. The lady in Austin told me there wasn’t much to the cabins. She said the restrooms are a short walk but the showers you’ll have to drive to. I plan on bringing a Coleman stove and a grill. Maybe by the time this hunt goes down, I can get a head count of people staying at the park and bring something for a big dinner one night.
          As the hunt gets closer lets talk - we can bring some food for Monday night as well. Sounds like a great idea.

Comment

I called today and they said I would have to wait until two weeks before to book the cabins. It sounded like the reservations you guys made may not stick. Just to be safe I would call two weeks before just to confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
              I called today and they said I would have to wait until two weeks before to book the cabins. It sounded like the reservations you guys made may not stick. Just to be safe I would call two weeks before just to confirm.
              I just checked the credit card and it's been charged. I also have a confirmation email.

Did you call the park or the 512 Austin number?

Comment

I called the park. I imagine you will be fine. But there seems to be some confusion going on at the park.

Comment

the park gave me the number to call - 512-389-8900. they were very helpful and knowledgeable about the park and cabins.

I logged on while I was talking to them and could have done it on-line as well. Try calling again. Either way the park is closed to everyone except hunters. My only concern was getting a cabin after my coworker wanted one.

If I remember correctly only 20 hunters were drawn. sounds like "tatoms" brother-in-law backed out. so 19 campers. But I'm sure they'll have standby hunters unless someone else was selected in a second drawing.

Comment

bttt

Comment

How many javelina are in the area? I want some deer for the freezer, but I have never shot a javelina. I may take the opportunity.

Comment

Javalina are pretty common but no a guarantee. They seem to be more nocturnal but have seen them in the daylight out there

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
                          How many javelina are in the area? I want some deer for the freezer, but I have never shot a javelina. I may take the opportunity.
                          Ew - I've bowhunted javie's before. Really fun but nasty little critters. Can't say I'll ever hunt and skin another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypress Hunter View Post
                            Ew - I've bowhunted javie's before. Really fun but nasty little critters. Can't say I'll ever hunt and skin another one.
                            I have goal is to harvest all of the native Texas medium to big game animals. Having said that, I imagine I will only want one javelina. But I do want at least one. I have to be excited about that until I can draw my bighorn tag...

Comment

Javelina are delicious, dont let anyone convince you otherwise. If you know how to clean and process them they are easy to cut up and make great table fair.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigharge View Post
                                Javelina are delicious, dont let anyone convince you otherwise. If you know how to clean and process them they are easy to cut up and make great table fair.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
                                My understanding is the only concern is cutting into the gland on the back of them. But it should come off fine with normal skinning practices. I kind of figured it was like all of the other things people say are nasty. Hopefully, I will get to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X