No announcement yet.

Trinity River NWR draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last year I won the small game and deer/hog hunt for Boars Den. I went a few weekends and got some squirrels, but like was already said the big game hunt was cancelled. I did see a bunch of hogs and 1 deer while I was there though. Good luck.

Comment

I have hunted Briarwood several times and done well, lot of deer in there.

Comment

I drew Boar's Den for this Saturday (11/16). Where does everyone stay during this hunt? Seems like all campgrounds and what not are at least thirty minutes away from Boar's Den.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordnorvelli View Post
          I drew Boar's Den for this Saturday (11/16). Where does everyone stay during this hunt? Seems like all campgrounds and what not are at least thirty minutes away from Boar's Den.
          There is an rv campground on the south side of Cleveland, west side of highway. 15 minutes away from Boar's Den. We came by the Den a couple Saturdays ago and saw a guy coming out after 8:30 pm, hope he was bringing a good one out.

Good luck.

Comment

Did you hunt yesterday?

Comment

I ended up not going. Too many logistical issues. Most RV camp grounds don't have tent camp sites and I'm definitely not paying for a hotel that whole time. It's a bummer but lesson learned. I will check lodging before I apply to an area next time.

Comment

I ended up not going. Too many logistical issues. Most RV camp grounds don't have tent camp sites and I'm definitely not paying for a hotel that whole time. It's a bummer but lesson learned. I will check lodging before I apply to an area next time.
                I've seen guys camp in the parking lot. You could have set up under the Trinity River bridge next to the gate going into the unit.

Comment

I spoke with the staff about that. They said a lot of meth heads/ homeless people living there (under the bridge) sometimes. I didn’t want to have to pack up my tent every morning.

Comment

I spoke with the staff about that. They said a lot of meth heads/ homeless people living there (under the bridge) sometimes. I didn’t want to have to pack up my tent every morning.
                    Did not know that, most looked like families fishing during the weekend. Good luck in the future.

Comment

hard hunting, but can be rewarding

Comment

Hoping this holds out and no flooding during the muzzleloader hunt. I will be at Brierwood so if anybody wants to hook up down there let me know.

Comment

Ended up hunting Hirsch just 2 days last weekend.. Had planned on 3 or 4 days but work conflict cut it to a weekend trip. Then this past weekend I opted to go duck hunt with my friend on his last weekend in TX before he moves to New Mexico instead of hunting Hirsch again the last few days of my permit.

Lots of bamboo and thick underbrush in some areas, but also some areas with good visibility. Just have to find them. Saw a few deer on the first day, had an easy shot opportunity on a doe just after first light but passed..that ended up being my only shot opportunity unfortunately. Didn't see anything the second day.

I did hear a few shots on the unit over the two days I hunted it so someone had success! I would love to come hunt this place again and check out the other units. It's some beautiful bottomland habitat.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                            Hoping this holds out and no flooding during the muzzleloader hunt. I will be at Brierwood so if anybody wants to hook up down there let me know.
                            Also drew the muzzleloader tag, after being cancelled out of my Page tract tag due to the access road getting washed out. Brierwood is wide open, excellent visibility everywhere, so they can see you just as easily as you can see them -- anything to get up off the ground should be helpful. BUT the place is completely chewed up, and I mean COMPLETELY, by hogs. Hard to imagine how many hogs it takes to do that much ground damage over so wide an area. And with so many hogs running around, do the deer move out? I have no idea ... I hope not.

Comment

Not to sound to negative about Brierwood, but I hunted it during the rifle period this year. I spoke with some locals at the gas station. They said the hog infestation started 2 years ago in the area and has been running the deer out. He claimed there getting trail cam pics of 20+ hogs at a time pretty regular.

When I was on Brierwood I jumped a doe while still hunting. That was the only deer I caught a glimpse of. I probably saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ pigs over the 4 days I hunted. I feel pretty confident they were all different groups based of the coloration of the groups I saw. I saw pigs everytime I was out there. So did the other guys I talked to.

I talked with a guy that had hunted there in previous years. He said the land to the south is hunted and they have up feeders within a 100 yards or so of the refuge and you may be able to catch deer traveling off of the refuge to go feed. I found one of the feeders, but it looks like it hasn't had corn in it for quiet a while.

We've got a pretty thick hog population on our family farm outside of Crockett. But I have never seen them as thick as they are on Brierwood. You can stack up some pork in the freezer for sure. If you want venison it's going to be extremely tough. The plus side being it is way more open than the other units. There is plenty of hunting area.

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
                                Not to sound to negative about Brierwood, but I hunted it during the rifle period this year. I spoke with some locals at the gas station. They said the hog infestation started 2 years ago in the area and has been running the deer out. He claimed there getting trail cam pics of 20+ hogs at a time pretty regular.

When I was on Brierwood I jumped a doe while still hunting. That was the only deer I caught a glimpse of. I probably saw somewhere in the neighborhood of 50+ pigs over the 4 days I hunted. I feel pretty confident they were all different groups based of the coloration of the groups I saw. I saw pigs everytime I was out there. So did the other guys I talked to.

I talked with a guy that had hunted there in previous years. He said the land to the south is hunted and they have up feeders within a 100 yards or so of the refuge and you may be able to catch deer traveling off of the refuge to go feed. I found one of the feeders, but it looks like it hasn't had corn in it for quiet a while.

We've got a pretty thick hog population on our family farm outside of Crockett. But I have never seen them as thick as they are on Brierwood. You can stack up some pork in the freezer for sure. If you want venison it's going to be extremely tough. The plus side being it is way more open than the other units. There is plenty of hunting area.

Since there's already a buck in my freezer, I won't mind bringing home the bacon. But it is easy to see how the hogs would run the deer off the property. On the other hand, there are acorns EVERYWHERE.

Comment

Working...
                                X