Toyota Tacoma question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota Tacoma question

Those of you that have a newer Toyota how do you like them? My main question is the bed space, do you feel the bed space is good enough for ice chest and hunting/fishing gear? I don’t need to tow anything but if the bed of the truck is not really functional I’ll look at the Tundras. I had a 2004 Toyota taco that drive like a scalded ape and never had any issues except the bed size. It looks like the newer models are a little bit bigger.

5' bed. I haul my gear, along with my buddies gear to our Mexico lease just fine usually.

Ice chests, bows, bags, blankets, tools, food, etc.

I will say it's pretty packed though.
    Last edited by EastTexasMan; 02-14-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Going to be selling mine for that reason alone. Turns out it’s too small for me. Going to eventually buy a tundra by the end of year. With my dogs kennel and a couple ice chests, the bed is full. Add a couple duffle bags and guitar/rifle cases and the entire truck is full to the top. Last couple ranch trips, I had to leave stuff behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't know if you consider a 2013 Tacoma newer but if I had to do it all over again I would go with a Tundra. More interior space.

Comment

I have a 2015 and love it! but i was coming from a 2 door jeep wrangler, so i have LOTS of room now!!ha

Comment

The good rule of thumb is that the bed can hold 3'x4'x5'. It's plenty for a cooler and fishing gear... and a kennel and a couple of suitcases and a couple of gun cases. I miss the bigger interior cab space from the Silverado more than I miss the bed space - usually if it's too big to fit in the Tacoma I was always going to need the trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
              The good rule of thumb is that the bed can hold 3'x4'x5'. It's plenty for a cooler and fishing gear... and a kennel and a couple of suitcases and a couple of gun cases. I miss the bigger interior cab space from the Silverado more than I miss the bed space - usually if it's too big to fit in the Tacoma I was always going to need the trailer.
              That’s a pretty good rule. I’m gonna keep my Silverado I case I need a trailer. But all my SxS and 4 wheeler are already on our property. I may pull the trigger on a new Taco pretty soon

Comment

I drove a 2nd gen Tacoma (09') for 10 years and now drive a 2017. The bed has always been plenty big for my hunting/fishing gear, however 80% of the time it's just me in the truck - the other 20% just one other guy. Four guys and their gear would likely be a problem. I don't mine occasionally hooking up a utility trailer for larger loads like my 4 wheeler

Comment

We bought my dad a 2019 TRD off road with the 6' bed because we felt that the 5' was too small. I used to drive a taco but too many drawbacks to them:

1. Toyota is super proud of their vehicles so they are pricey. Tough to justify paying the same amount as a full size truck for a mid size.
                  2. They feel super top heavy. Cornering with any type of speed feels like you're going to roll the **** thing over.
                  3. I felt that the engine is undersized/underpowered. Just not enough ummpph.
                  4. Fuel efficiency not that great for a mid size and tank size is too small.

But ultimately the two best things about Toyota's are that they are reliable and hold value.

Comment

Tacomas are also sold in the 6' bed. There is also the bed extender option.

Definitely test drive them if you get a chance. Not many ppl like the new 3.5 liter, but there is a tune for it.

Comment

mine has a 6ft bed. I sure like my taco. great ride. reliable.

Comment

I drive a 2016, traded my gas guzzling lifted full size in for it due to my work commute and have absolutely zero complaints. I can fit my hunting/fishing gear in back no problem on lease trips, but like Jerp, it is usually just me and maybe one other person, it wouldn't be doable with more than two ppl. It is WAY more capable than my full size when off road, I can get into tighter areas, much lighter, smaller wheel base etc. It is also nice to be able to fit into most parking spaces when in city & in cramped parking lots. It serves my current needs perfect, and dont see myself going back to full size again anytime in the future unless my needs change. If you dont need to tow anything fairly heavy, don't have multiple people riding with you to the lease & have owned a taco before that you were happy with except for the bed space, I say go for it.

Comment

I have a '19 TRD Offroad with a 5' bed and don't have any issues hauling a couple ice chests, bow case, hunting bags, corn, etc. If you are worried about it, opt for the 6' bed and get that extra little bit of space. They aren't as common but they are out there. They aren't cheap for a mid sized truck but there's hardly anything that rivals the reliability or will hold value like a Toyota truck.

Comment

Mine was a great hunting rig, and bullet proof 4WD in the rocky West where I hunt. The bed space was not ever an issue for me. Towed our UTV and 16' single-axle travel trailer fine too. The rear seat is not very comfortable for adults on long trips over 4 hours.

Comment

Put a diamondback bed cover on it and you’ll be able to put coolers and other stuff on top and pack the bed with bags and cases. Added bonus is the ability to lock the cover for those gas station stops while loaded down with expensive gear

Comment

Working...
                              X