Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green mountain.

Comment

i've been thinking on this a while also, i believe i'm going with the Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250
      Attached Files

Comment

I got a masterbuilt wood chip smoker for christmas. Anybody know of a good controller to put on it? the one that came with the smoker does not read the correct temp and neither does the probe

Comment

My co-worker is big into smoking and did a lot of research on the pellet grills. He ended up with a Rec-Tec but it is a little higher in cost. He loves it after about 3 months.

Comment

I read most of this thread while my camp chef was rolling yesterday. I was near out of pellets (B&B mesquite) and filled the hopper with the B&B champion blend (currently on sale at academy). I could tell when the smoker swapped over not only cause of smell but smoke. As of right now the champion blend has been the better of the 4-5 brands/flavors Ive tried.

I had it rolling at 200 which was producing good smoke but it kinda slowed down when I cranked it to 300 to speed up the cook. My results with the camp chef have been so so and I use a tube nearly every cook. If I happen to buy another pellet grill for the camp its gonna be rec tec. But Im really leaning toward a stick burner

Comment

Originally posted by bubba joe View Post
              i've been thinking on this a while also, i believe i'm going with the Pitts and Spitts Maverick 1250
              A buddy of mine just got one of these and loves it.

Comment

good deal, i've read a lot of good reviews on them and watched several videos on youtube. i believe i'm gonna be happy with it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProSeriesCombo_FrontClosed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	24609259

Johnny, I was in the same boat as you and this is what I went with. Got it a lowes. I absolutely love it. First time cooking on it was superbowl and had a bunch of people ask where I got it because of how everything turned out and everyone loved the flavor and taste of the meat. I was worried about wanting a propane grille still for steaks and other stuff which is why I went this route but the pellet grille is awesome. Should've gotten one a long time ago

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
                    They're extremely convenient and lots of people are making other options than the Traegar but none of them are going to have the smoke flavor of a real pit. You should know that before buying any of them. You can buy all the accessories, additional smoke tubes, and different pellets you want but it's never going to be the same. If you are a BBQ purist you won't like it. If convenience and pretty good BBQ are important, you will love them. They also don't sear steaks like a gas grill. Yoder's are nice and Traegar just resigned theirs to keep up with the competition. Traegar has amazing customer service..
                    I have added a smoke daddy to my Traeger and you can get real “ chunk wood flavor” but like most smokers you have to baby sit it. I smoke with the smoke daddy for 4 hours or so, cold smoke ( for most things) then leave it smoking and turn the heat up on the traeger, and it comes out far better. Almost all pellets are oak sawdust mixed with flavoring, they all have the same “ oak pellet” taste. There are a few that use real fruit wood saw dust, and I would advise you look for them. We really like ours though.

Comment

Originally posted by jcamp View Post
                      Why not just get a green egg. Can do anything from smoking meat to grilling and even cooking pies and such. To me they are all a back patio needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Because they brake pretty easy. I broke one in a move, and broke another when we got to wresting around one night and bumped it. Don’t think I will own another. Buddy has one and been great, but the hardware is rusting to the point it needs to be rebuilt or most likely replaced also. His is built in so it’s out of the way and very well protected, from movement, bumps and such.

Comment

Johnny, what did you end up going with - and are you happy you got a pellet smoker versus a stick burner? Im looking hard myself. Thanks

Comment

I have been looking at the Pitts & Spitts as well. They have a special right now. Free cover, trap door & delivery within 100 miles of there shop. I have looked at others, but what I really like it the 7 & 10 gauge steel. Should last a very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post

I have been looking at the Pitts & Spitts as well. They have a special right now. Free cover, trap door & delivery within 100 miles of there shop. I have looked at others, but what I really like it the 7 & 10 gauge steel. Should last a very long time.

Pitts & Spitts is money. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You won't regret it. Had mine almost a year now and we use it at least once a week. I really like the Lumberjack Competition Blend pellets.

Comment

Pitts & Spitts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X