• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonora County Turkey??

Is it looking as dismal as last spring?

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    Is it looking as dismal as last spring?

I'm just north of yall in Christoval. It has been pathetic on camera this spring so far. We usually have hens all over the cameras this time of year with the gobblers showing up in March. With as little rain as we had this fall and winter up until the last week and no real green winter grass to speak of, you'd think they would be all over corn, but they aren't. We're hoping the astronomical amount of acorns from this fall have kept them away.

I think I have had two pics of turkeys since mid December. One of about 10 hens (normally our groups are 30-50) and the other pic was 3 jakes. Spent 2 days there last weekend filling protein and water all over the ranch and saw one small flock of hens driving out early Sunday am. Last year was down some but still productive. This, so far, seems much worse. Needless to say, I'm concerned about this year.....but still holding out that they will show.
    Last edited by Smart; 02-14-2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      I'm just north of yall in Christoval. It has been pathetic on camera this spring so far. We usually have hens all over the cameras this time of year with the gobblers showing up in March. With as little rain as we had this fall and winter up until the last week and no real green winter grass to speak of, you'd think they would be all over corn, but they aren't. We're hoping the astronomical amount of acorns from this fall have kept them away.

I think I have had two pics of turkeys since mid December. One of about 10 hens (normally our groups are 30-50) and the other pic was 3 jakes. Spent 2 days there last weekend filling protein and water all over the ranch and saw one small flock of hens driving out early Sunday am. Last year was down some but still productive. This, so far, seems much worse. Needless to say, I'm concerned about this year.....but still holding out that they will show.
      Well that blows

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
        Well that blows

Yup....I'm starting to enjoy it as much if not more than deer hunting and I'm hoping it turns around the next 1.5 months.

Comment

Smart, when I was hunting at Ft Stockton the population was all over the map. Some years unreal, some horrible and it seemed to change yearly. It was strange. I just got on a new place at Iraan, so looking forward to see how the turkey situation is. Doesn't sound like I should get my hopes up right now

Comment

We're just east of Sonora near Roosevelt. We're covered up in corn buzzards. I'd ship you some if I could.

Comment

The ups/downs of turkey nesting success is something that I can't figure out. I would think you guys would have a huge advantage over us (Karnes/Wilson Counties) due to our crazy amount of hogs.

I think they are still around and maybe just not in their "home" area for some reason. Our birds down here have totally different ranges in winter and spring. The place we turkey hunted SW of Sonora was loaded with large flocks of birds during deer season, but they would move out every spring. Mature gobblers were tough to find on 4k acres come early April

Hopefully they start showing up for you guys.

Comment

*Sutton

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                  Smart, when I was hunting at Ft Stockton the population was all over the map. Some years unreal, some horrible and it seemed to change yearly. It was strange. I just got on a new place at Iraan, so looking forward to see how the turkey situation is. Doesn't sound like I should get my hopes up right now

We have been pretty solid except in 2011/2012 after the drought. There have been some unreal years for sure but usually pretty solid. We had good rain last spring and solid grasses for nesting. I was expecting a pot full of hens and jakes this spring but not so far..

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  We're just east of Sonora near Roosevelt. We're covered up in corn buzzards. I'd ship you some if I could.

Please do.. ...particularly Tommy and his buddies....

Comment

Had the pleasure of turkey hunting Sonora once. I was in shock when they sounded off on the roost in the mornings. Literally hundreds gobbles that came in waves. Killed three in two days. Trip of a lifetime. I just figured it was always like that. Definitely wasn’t like chasing these mute easterns around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      *Sutton
                      Yes, forgive my brain fart

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                        Had the pleasure of turkey hunting Sonora once. I was in shock when they sounded off on the roost in the mornings. Literally hundreds gobbles that came in waves. Killed three in two days. Trip of a lifetime. I just figured it was always like that. Definitely wasn’t like chasing these mute easterns around here.
                        These dang easterns are rough!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                          Had the pleasure of turkey hunting Sonora once. I was in shock when they sounded off on the roost in the mornings. Literally hundreds gobbles that came in waves. Killed three in two days. Trip of a lifetime.

Its a beautiful thing when they are right...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Please do.. ...particularly Tommy and his buddies....
                            We have a creek running through the middle of our place with lots of big pecan trees and oaks for roosting. Always lots of turkeys around. Every now and then we have literal hoards of them. Last month, for a couple weeks there were several hundred. Just ridiculous. At a minimum, we see several dozen.

For some reason, I just don't get excited about turkey. I've hunted a couple places in the past that had huge numbers of them, similar to where we're at now with a creek and lots of roosting trees, etc.... When there are that many of them, they get to be annoying pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              We have a creek running through the middle of our place with lots of big pecan trees and oaks for roosting. Always lots of turkeys around. Every now and then we have literal hoards of them. Last month, for a couple weeks there were several hundred. Just ridiculous. At a minimum, we see several dozen.

For some reason, I just don't get excited about turkey. I've hunted a couple places in the past that had huge numbers of them, similar to where we're at now with a creek and lots of roosting trees, etc.... When there are that many of them, they get to be annoying pretty fast.
                              Ahhh yes that's why you have a lot. Ok sounds like we need to make a spring time work trip to your place. Will work for turkey huntin!!

Comment

Working...
                              X