Menard/Mason/Brady 2019-2020 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MenardCountyBow View Post
    We own a place on Waddell. It was very slow this weekend. No mature animals seen.
    That's what I'd anticipate for the upcoming weekend as well, but stranger things have happened.

I'm tagged out on bucks anyway, but was hoping some of my friends would shoot deer. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
      That's what I'd anticipate for the upcoming weekend as well, but stranger things have happened.

I'm tagged out on bucks anyway, but was hoping some of my friends would shoot deer. We'll see.
      Most all we saw was late evenings/early mornings. Should see some deer just not what we were after

Comment

Hopefully we will have that mild 2nd rut.

Comment

I hunted the morning yesterday out west of Brady. Should have stayed up enjoying some adult beverages and slept in.

The deer population is definitely not the problem IMO, it is the dad gum acorns not soured yet, the rut pretty much ending which I think they are laid up resting from and eating the acorns there not leaving the oak motts unless pushed, and maybe a little to do with the moon phase.

We should be getting close to the secondary rut in about a week for the left over does, so maybe that will get them up and roaming around again.

Who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by Scarbuck View Post
            Need help or professional opinion on age and size of this buck. I’m in Mason County, this buck is biggest we’ve seen on cam on our 150 acre low fence. He seems young to me but biggest horns we’ve ever seen here on this property. Been after him since bow opener but haven’t seen him in person yet. He’s got double droptines, definitely a first for us to ever see something like this
            Deer is no older than 4.5...could easily be 3.5

Very nice deer...

Comment

Menard get much rain? Read it would be a minimum of a 1/2 inch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I got .7" this morning and most everyone around had at least a half inch. Roads are really muddy as it fell really slowly and still no sun light. I would wait until Thursday to come out so you don't make the landowners mad by tearing up the roads.
                Be Careful and Adios,
                Gary

Comment

Menard/Mason/Brady 2019-2020 season

The county road should be fun then ..... They have been hauling rock all year up and down the road so the 18 wheelers should have it all jacked up. On the bright side it should help get rid of the acorns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by DK1555; 12-10-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                    I got .7" this morning and most everyone around had at least a half inch. Roads are really muddy as it fell really slowly and still no sun light. I would wait until Thursday to come out so you don't make the landowners mad by tearing up the roads.
                    Be Careful and Adios,
                    Gary
                    Think it was enough to sour the acorns? In 20+ years of hunting the area I’ve never seen this many.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                      Gonna be off Waddell Ln near Menard all weekend. Looks like it's going to be pretty warm - any increase in activity lately?
                      We hunt off waddle ln nothing but small bucks and does lately

Comment

We hunt off Waddell. We saw a few of the more mature bucks still scent checking. Acorns everywhere. Driving down 190 back into town after the evening hunt, deer were everywhere. I stopped counting at 50.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Think it was enough to sour the acorns? In 20+ years of hunting the area I’ve never seen this many.
                          Normally 3/4 of an inch is not enough to rot the acorns but we never had sun yesterday and so far, it is still cloudy so they are not drying out. I will say that many of the acorns are going to sour but the hogs will still eat them.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

I’m headed up Monday evening to hunt the cold front Tuesday and Wednesday mayyyyyybe Thursday

Comment

We had a great weekend. While a little slow at feeders, we still had plenty of deer moving. Mostly younger bucks but several very nice mature ones too. Never worked out where the right buck showed up for the right hunter but we took 5 does and 2 hogs as a group. And drank tons of beer, smoked ribs, made steaks, and deer camped it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Killed a mature buck this weekend. Will post the full story once our season is over in a few weeks!

Comment

Working...
                                X