Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood
Default Rattle Snake Antivenim

Itís that time of the year...is the canine anti the same as a human antivenin? Is it available and how much should it cost? What do you do if you or your dog gets bit by a Copper Head? Thanks in advance
Kingfisher789 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #2
lovetohunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County

Not sure it's the same but for humans it's about $2000 a dose. And yes I know from experience.
lovetohunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

They told my buddy 1650 Brown County......that just don’t seem right or...
Kingfisher789 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #4
pervis
Ten Point

Its roughly 30 to 40 dollars for a dog. You have to have it in them in advance. Its 2 rounds. Basically every 6 months. We have a place in west tx so my dog stays up to date
pervis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #5
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Idk about dogs, but when I got bit by a copperhead in 2017, just the bill for CroFab anti venom was $27,000! That doesn’t count the ER room, ambulance ride from halletsville to Victoria or the 3 days in the hospital. Still can’t wiggle the toes on my left foot and my big toe is always freezing cold!
skeeter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #6
brokeno
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

We use to give our dogs old warm cooking grease when they were bitten I got nothing when a rattler bite me. I've heard the antivenin is sometimes worst than the snake bite.
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Itís that time of the year...is the canine anti the same as a human antivenin? Is it available and how much should it cost? What do you do if you or your dog gets bit by a Copper Head? Thanks in advance
I've had 3 dogs bit by copperheads and all were fine in less than 24 hours. I gave them Benadryl but don't know if it was even necessary. My Brit got hit on Sun. and never slowed down. If his snout wasn't a little swollen and my terrier mix hadn't barked like crazy at the snake before she destroyed it I would have never known he got bit.
MassMan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
BigRed323
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervis View Post
Its roughly 30 to 40 dollars for a dog. You have to have it in them in advance. Its 2 rounds. Basically every 6 months. We have a place in west tx so my dog stays up to date
Youíre talking about the rattle snake vaccine. Heís asking about the antivenin for treatment. Itís much pricier than that
BigRed323 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Give him benedryl for copperhead. Take off his collar.
jaspermac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
3whunt
Four Point

Hunt In: SE Oklahoma

Raw eggs for copperheads is all we ever did.

Does NOT work for cats. They always died.

Last edited by 3whunt; 05-14-2019 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Cats
3whunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #11
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any where I can

I just saw somewhere, that you should give dogs and cats children's liquid Benadryl. The same place I read that, said, if they get bit on the torso, there is not much that can be done for them.
I know growing up we had many dogs bit by rattlers, never took them to the vet, after they had been bitten a few times, they would not swell up much and would be fine a day later. Now we have a small dog and a cat, I don't think either would handle a snake bite like the german shepherds did.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 11:52 PM   #12
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

I've always just heard of giving dogs benadryl if they get bit. I don't have any experience with the shots for dogs but I've heard they work.

What I'd do and what everyone else would do if they,or their dog were bit by a copperhead is completely different I'm sure. We'd both take Benadryl. I've had antivenin in my veins and it's expensive....way expensive. Most likely a finger or toe will turn black and rot off if it's bad. But the way I see it is there's a reason we were born with 10 of each. I have spares.

But no a dogs ain't the same as ours. I've tried Benadryl for a rattlesnake bite and it didn't work the same. I didn't really think about having a different immune system as a dog. The swelling in my hand and arm just got worse. I don't know the exact difference in the antidote for a snake bite for a dog compared to a humans but there's something different about it.

Last edited by okrattler; 05-15-2019 at 12:04 AM.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #13
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

My daughter has two Jack Russels that usually get bit at least once per year by copper heads. She keeps injectable Benadryl on hand.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #14
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassMan View Post
I've had 3 dogs bit by copperheads and all were fine in less than 24 hours. I gave them Benadryl but don't know if it was even necessary. My Brit got hit on Sun. and never slowed down. If his snout wasn't a little swollen and my terrier mix hadn't barked like crazy at the snake before she destroyed it I would have never known he got bit.
This ^^^ for copperheads and moccasins. 1 pill per 10 pounds of body weight up to 5 pills every 4-8 hours. Most dogs recover within 24 hours. My Lacy got hit on the chest, just below his neck. He needed 5 pills, but only once.

Rattlesnakes - my vet said the vaccine will buy you time, but get to the vet asap. Rattlesnake venom acts differently than the other vipers.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #15
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
Rattlesnakes - my vet said the vaccine will buy you time, but get to the vet asap. Rattlesnake venom acts differently than the other vipers.
Yep. As mentioned, the rattlesnake vaccine usually ranges between $25-$50 depending on who is giving it. One of my dogs got bit on the nose last year. I was pretty sure it was dry but took her in to get treated just to make sure. The bill was a little over $1000 and that was for after hours treatment. Snake Avoidance training is probably the best advice and usually runs between $75-100.
cehorn is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
gusman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Drag racing

Copperhead = children’s liquid Benadryl = 1 tsp for every12.5 pounds of body weight, remove collar, and plenty of water
gusman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #17
sandhillhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor County, TX and New Mexico

To answer the original question, there are now at least 3 different brands of crotalid antivenin that can be used for most Rattlesnake, Copperhead, and Water Moccasin bites.

This is an improvement because for a long time there was only one Crofab antivenin available and it was more expensive.

They range in cost from about $400-600 to administer to animals. That does not include additional support such as IV fluids, blood testing (clotting times), antibiotics, pain meds, or hospitalization fees at most veterinary ERs.

This wonít be popular, but Benadryl does NOTHING for snake bites. Give it if you want. It wonít help but it wonít hurt (except for delaying the time to get real treatment for the truly serious bites). This is the same advice as sucking the venom out of a wound- for people it caused delays in them getting the treatment they needed.

The only proven effective treatment is antivenin and whatever supportive care is needed.

If your dog or cat survives the bite and it didnít get antivenin, it was because it wasnít a lethal bite and only caused a local reaction (pain, swelling, bruising, infection). This is true no matter what else you give.

And not to confuse things, but Benadryl is often administered along with antivenin to counteract possible allergic reactions to the antivenin itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sandhillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 PM   #18
sandhillhunter
Four Point

The ďRattlesnake Vaccine,Ē when given before a bite occurs, might reduce the reaction to the bite. But, the vaccine hasnít undergone clinical trials to prove effectiveness.

Most that use it feel it helps to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 AM   #19
flyby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillhunter View Post
This wonít be popular, but Benadryl does NOTHING for snake bites. Give it if you want. It wonít help but it wonít hurt (except for delaying the time to get real treatment for the truly serious bites). This is the same advice as sucking the venom out of a wound- for people it caused delays in them getting the treatment they needed.

Hmmm...Ö...who to believe?

http://foxfireweims.com/benadryl-for...bites/?sfns=mo
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #20
sandhillhunter
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Hmmm...Ö...who to believe?
Most dogs will survive a snake bite. That's another fact. So, it's no surprise that when lots of people post up and say my dog was bitten and I gave it Benadryl and it did fine, that would be true.

He said in the article that Benadryl is NEVER wrong to give. No one can make that claim. I've seen a dog have an allergic reaction to Benadryl. I don't think there's any medication you can say is NEVER wrong to give.

Some say that the antivenin is dangerous, and it can be if it is given to a pet or person that is allergic to it. That is why either a test dose is given first, or the patient is given Benadryl ahead of time to counteract possible reactions.

Benadryl is an antihistamine. Snake venom does not (or maybe I should say rarely because I can't prove that it never does) trigger histamine release. So, giving an anti-histamine won't counteract anything other secondary allergic response to antivenin.

I've lost several patients to snake bites (all were rattlesnake bites). None of those patients were given antivenin and I always wished after the fact that I would have given it. It was declined due to cost.

I've never lost a patient (dog or cat) that's had antivenin administered. Sometimes it takes multiple doses and one dog ended up in the ER and had to have a transfusion due to severe clotting abnormalities, but he ultimately survived.

The harmful effects of a snake bite in animals is no different than that seen in humans (except animals don't express pain the same way). I looked and couldn't find any resources for humans that recommended people taking Benadryl for their snake bites. The only mention I could find (medical references) had to do with using it before giving antivenin to reduce the risk of allergic reaction. Why do you think that is?

I'll look for some scientific references later today about Benadryl use in animals for snake bites and post them up.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #21
Bighunter2670
Four Point

Hunt In: montague/ clay Co

when i got bit antivenom was fourteen thousand dollars a bag. I went through four of them. I hope its not the same for dogs.
Bighunter2670 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 07:37 AM   #22
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetohunt View Post
Not sure it's the same but for humans it's about $2000 a dose. And yes I know from experience.
That must have been a long time ago. It's gone up by at least a factor of ten since then.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 08:04 PM   #23
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Not the same as human version, most dogs need a booster. Copperhead venom is different then Rattlesnake. Copperheads rarely kill dogs. My buddies DD got bite by a copper head in the roof of the mouth, and hit a vain. Dog died 4 hours later. He had the rattlesnake shots, and was current.

According to my Vet the shot is most effective closet to the last booster and trickles down from there. Itís no cure all more of a supplemental insurance policy, then full coverage if that makes sense.
Texans42 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top