Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #51
friscopaint
Ten Point

easy fix, those that want more expensive food can buy certified organic, the option is already there it's called free choice.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #52
friscopaint
Ten Point

so let's throw the baby out with the bath water, so now we can't feed our cows since we have round up ready alfalfa and we are for banning roundup so instead of the higher protein clean alfalfa we will feed weed filled alfalfa and of course we can't sell the extra since nobody wants it full of weeds.......then we will be forced to utilize other more weed specific herbicides resulting in multiple applications of different and more expensive herbicides which also results in higher diesel consumption....sounds like a fool proof plan
Old 12-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #53
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
so let's throw the baby out with the bath water, so now we can't feed our cows since we have round up ready alfalfa and we are for banning roundup so instead of the higher protein clean alfalfa we will feed weed filled alfalfa and of course we can't sell the extra since nobody wants it full of weeds.......then we will be forced to utilize other more weed specific herbicides resulting in multiple applications of different and more expensive herbicides which also results in higher diesel consumption....sounds like a fool proof plan
Who said the weeds were ďbadĒ, thereís a bunch out there that will compete with alfalfa on protein content and palatability plus you donít have buy seed and can cut more often.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #54
Geoff995
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
There is, ground covers, like clover etc.... as well as 1000s of other things. That would require learning though, and involve effort, so we would rather just spray a cocktail of chemicals from the local store.
Not to mention, you can patent roundup, not much money to be made in using what mother nature gives us.
They could give agent orange a new name, put it on the shelf with all the same ingredients listed clearly on the front, and 99.9% of America would use it without ever questioning anything. People could be dying and well say, "just pay attention to your PPE",
Proprietary formulas can be thrown in as well. It could contain cyanide and kill you dead, and the FDA doesn't require any company, foreign or domestic to let you know, "This product contains cyanide".
Of all the countries that have banned glyphosate, Merica probably never will.
We're all about pollution here in America and it's only getting worse.
You do realize one of the two ingredients of agent orange is 2-4d. One of the most common broadleaf herbicides available today.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #55
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

I thought we had some snowflakes on here. Now I know we do. Smh
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #56
2coolforschool
Banned!!!

If refusing to bow down to corporate overlords and giving a **** about the natural world makes me a snowflake, consider me a snowman ⛄️
2coolforschool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #57
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Personally I am more worried about the food that is imported into this country from foreign countries that have no regs.. We have no idea what we are being subjected to when eating that are we have no way of knowing that it is imported..
I watched a documentary on the imported seafood industry and the amount that enters this country and that was failing inspection was phenomenal..

80% that was inspected failed but the FDA only has enough man power to inspect roughly 10%. So 80% of only 10% fails... the other 90% makes to Americas table...….

Im sure the imported beef market isn't much better....

In the mean time we need to bring back Chlordane(a lot of you youngins have never heard of this)for a few years to eradicate the fire ants..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 12-27-2018 at 06:17 PM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #58
skinsfan
Four Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Lots of farmers here. If you you gentlemen are so passionate and confident in all of these alternative methods you should head down to the bank, borrow a small fortune, and get an operation going. Farming is easy with all of the government assistance.

Last edited by skinsfan; 12-27-2018 at 06:28 PM.
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #59
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

One of the largest ag/gmo companies was recently sold to Chem China...think on that as well for what the future holds.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #60
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post
Lots of farmers here. If you you gentlemen are so passionate and confident in all of these alternative methods you should head down to the bank, borrow a small fortune, and get an operation going. Farming is easy with all of the government assistance.
Standing O.
oktx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #61
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Yea my uncle farmed for 60 years.. He passed 2 weeks ago at the age of 80.. His liver, kidneys, lungs and brain were in horrible shape.. Doc says chemical exposure was the cause..
He was never rich...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:43 PM   #62
skinsfan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Yea my uncle farmed for 60 years.. He passed 2 weeks ago at the age of 80.. His liver, kidneys, lungs and brain were in horrible shape.. Doc says chemical exposure was the cause..
He was never rich...
Sorry for your loss, things were done a lot different 60 years ago. Safety was not always a priority. That is a choice every grower must make every day.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #63
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
easy fix, those that want more expensive food can buy certified organic, the option is already there it's called free choice.
The issue is that things are being labeled safe that aren't. So when a consumer has to make that decision about whether or not to buy organic, or a product that was roundup ready or not, they are not making an informed decision.

Last edited by Longue Carabine; 12-27-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 11:41 PM   #64
BTGuard
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First, a lot more people died of starvation. Gmo's have saved millions of people. Norman Borlaug is credited with literally saving a billion lives. With a b. Because of gmo's. Second, people keep having babies. The population has grown nearly exponentially over the last 50 years. It's not stopping. If you think 50's agriculture can support that, pull your head out of the sand. Going back to 50 bushel corn isn't going to help anyone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BTGuard is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #65
friscopaint
Ten Point

[QUOTE=Longue Carabine;13885013]The issue is that things are being labeled safe that aren't. So when a consumer has to make that decision about whether or not to buy organic, or a product that was roundup ready or not, they are not making an informed

Sounds as if there is a labeling problem. Maybe thats your answer.........more government control over labels.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:44 AM   #66
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex4k View Post
Who said the weeds were ďbadĒ, thereís a bunch out there that will compete with alfalfa on protein content and palatability plus you donít have buy seed and can cut more often.
That's a good one. I can sell it as "some of theses weeds are better than alfalfa, just ignore the sand burrs and noxius weeds in these bales".........or maybe there's a herbicide that will selectively kill the bad weeds and keep the better than alfalfa ones.........wait, back where we started
Old 12-28-2018, 12:58 AM   #67
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Oh Heck, I have one more point as I wait for my wife.

No till farming along with the practices mentioned above actually sequester carbon into the soil from the air. This increases soil productivity and reduces the greenhouse effect simultaneously. Win/win and a bit more palatable than everyone selling their car and walking to work.

Whereas tillage releases carbon into the atmosphere and is one of the largest contributors of green house gases [ carbon ]. You can actually see the carbon plume thru specialized photography in the spring when farmers begin tillage.

Question? Have we really learned the lessons from the dust bowl days when dust from Kansas engulfed Washington DC? All caused fro excess tillage which destroys soil biota and all the perils that come from that.

Healthier soil, stronger more nutrient dense plants, less requirement for herbicides, less and pesticides less ag water runoff[ said differently better water absorption thus less irrigation and less pollution ] ....

Apologies...I'm prone to preaching
So what are you using for weed control on a no till operation?

Oh yeah... herbicide
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #68
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTGuard View Post
First, a lot more people died of starvation. Gmo's have saved millions of people. Norman Borlaug is credited with literally saving a billion lives. With a b. Because of gmo's. Second, people keep having babies. The population has grown nearly exponentially over the last 50 years. It's not stopping. If you think 50's agriculture can support that, pull your head out of the sand. Going back to 50 bushel corn isn't going to help anyone.

Borlaug was often called "the father of the Green Revolution",[5][6] and is credited with saving over a billion people worldwide from starvation.[7][8][9][10] According to Jan Douglas, executive assistant to the president of the World Food Prize Foundation, the source of this number is Gregg Easterbrook's 1997 article "Forgotten Benefactor of Humanity." The article states that the "form of agriculture that Borlaug preaches may have prevented a billion deaths."[11] He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply.

Later in his life, he helped apply these methods of increasing food production in Asia and Africa.[12]

But did it end starvation? Nope, those billion people had a few more billion babies. Now what, they still starving and now migrating here to deplete our resources. We dont need to save the world. We need to save our self's.

I have no desire to destroy our ecosystem so some people in another country can keep breeding like rats and then flooding our country because of war, poverty, starvation...

let natural selection happen. If you out breed the resources the land can provide something has to give. Or do we just keep destroying our ecosystem with no limits.

It is not hard to grow a garden for your family. Hell we typically have enough veggies we end up giving a lot away. It does not even require a tractor or a lot of space.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #69
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
Borlaug was often called "the father of the Green Revolution",[5][6] and is credited with saving over a billion people worldwide from starvation.[7][8][9][10] According to Jan Douglas, executive assistant to the president of the World Food Prize Foundation, the source of this number is Gregg Easterbrook's 1997 article "Forgotten Benefactor of Humanity." The article states that the "form of agriculture that Borlaug preaches may have prevented a billion deaths."[11] He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1970 in recognition of his contributions to world peace through increasing food supply.

Later in his life, he helped apply these methods of increasing food production in Asia and Africa.[12]

But did it end starvation? Nope, those billion people had a few more billion babies. Now what, they still starving and now migrating here to deplete our resources. We dont need to save the world. We need to save our self's.

I have no desire to destroy our ecosystem so some people in another country can keep breeding like rats and then flooding our country because of war, poverty, starvation...

let natural selection happen. If you out breed the resources the land can provide something has to give. Or do we just keep destroying our ecosystem with no limits.

It is not hard to grow a garden for your family. Hell we typically have enough veggies we end up giving a lot away. It does not even require a tractor or a lot of space.
We are using natural selection. The people that can use these products on label with proper ppe live. The idiots that can't get cancer and die.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 AM   #70
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
What do y'all recommend using to clear about 3 acres of grass/hay/brush for making it into a food plot?
Roundup then till. lol
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #71
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:

Yep crazy how/where people think food really comes from.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #72
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Yep crazy how/where people think food really comes from.
They have no concept of scale. They think since they can grow a garden that grows more veges then they eat that everyone can. There is basically one acre of farm land per person in the US. Just drop them on their acre, give them a hoe, and get to it. Sounds good to me. Screw all the other jobs they do, we don't need them.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #73
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
They have no concept of scale. They think since they can grow a garden that grows more veges then they eat that everyone can. There is basically one acre of farm land per person in the US. Just drop them on their acre, give them a hoe, and get to it. Sounds good to me. Screw all the other jobs they do, we don't need them.

It is mind boggling to think people made it so long with out "modern tech" to provide enough food.

At the same time we are so fat we have to have surgery now to make our stomach smaller so we dont eat as much.

More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight.
More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to have obesity.
More than 2 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight or have obesity.
About 1 in 13 adults were considered to have extreme obesity.
About 1 in 6 children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 were considered to have obesity.

Do we need more food, or better food?
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 PM   #74
BTGuard
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
It is mind boggling to think people made it so long with out "modern tech" to provide enough food.

At the same time we are so fat we have to have surgery now to make our stomach smaller so we dont eat as much.

More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight.

More than 1 in 3 adults were considered to have obesity.

More than 2 in 3 adults were considered to be overweight or have obesity.

About 1 in 13 adults were considered to have extreme obesity.

About 1 in 6 children and adolescents ages 2 to 19 were considered to have obesity.

Do we need more food, or better food?
We need distribution of food. We have a government that refuses to sell food to certain people for various reasons. We have people that don't take care of themselves. That's a completely different thing. It's insanely expensive right now to eat "healthy" food. I think the US needs to figure that out before they start condemning ag. Chemicals are one way to make vegetables affordable for the average person that doesn't have the time or space to grow their own. Believe it or not your situation is not "normal" I'm assuming some disposable income, combined with room to grow food. That's just not realistic for everyone to achieve.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #75
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

I've been buying it and storing its up before the ban goes into effect, or they have to start making it so weak that it's not effective.
stickerpatch59 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #76
beefiedoubleoh
Four Point

Hunt In: Leon County, Hag

Quote:

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Selective breeding - i.e. the old fashioned way. And now those techniques can't keep up with exploding population growth. So we figured out how to cut out the middleman & get results faster - it's the American way. For better or worse.
beefiedoubleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #77
skinsfan
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefiedoubleoh View Post
Selective breeding - i.e. the old fashioned way. And now those techniques can't keep up with exploding population growth. So we figured out how to cut out the middleman & get results faster - it's the American way. For better or worse.
You obviously have no plant breeding knowledge. Selective breeding is sill a mainstay. Traits are integressed after breeding occurs.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #78
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
So what are you using for weed control on a no till operation?

Oh yeah... herbicide
If you are genuinely interested you can go to my thread ď a year in the life of a farm ď. I use crops to create deep thatch that I drill in to. The thatch suppresses weeds while the new cultivars get started. I plant thick multi specie crops that crowd out most weeds. I havenít used synthetic fertilizers in years as the crops create the fertility. Yes. I do occasionally use gly but sparingly I merely am copying what many large scale farmers are successfully doing now.

I like this dialogue and the expected passion on both sides. The facts are that large scale farming utilizing new techniques that minimize or eliminate poisons Are in practice today in the u s and are highly profitable all whilst improving soil and ecology
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #79
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

Quote:
If you are genuinely interested you can go to my thread ď a year in the life of a farm ď. I use crops to create deep thatch that I drill in to. The thatch suppresses weeds while the new cultivars get started. I plant thick multi specie crops that crowd out most weeds. I havenít used synthetic fertilizers in years as the crops create the fertility. Yes. I do occasionally use gly but sparingly I merely am copying what many large scale farmers are successfully doing now.

I like this dialogue and the expected passion on both sides. The facts are that large scale farming utilizing new techniques that minimize or eliminate poisons Are in practice today in the u s and are highly profitable all whilst improving soil and ecology
How are you terminating the cover crop?
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #80
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Quote:

Like I said, it would take a culture change. We would have to sacrifice some convenience and spend a little more of our income on food.

We've created this monster and driven small farmers out of business in favor of monstrous factory farming operations. Who would have thought that our largest pork producer would be owned by the Chinese and receiving bailout money from our government? The fact that so few control such a large portion of our food production is alarming at the very least.

If the vast majority of our food wasn't processed on the level it is we wouldn't rely on corn as much as we do-not to mention ethanol. But as long as we feed our kids high-fructose corn syrup by the cup full in the name of flavor and convenience, we're to blame-not starving people. Which is more common now-hunger or obesity?

Our modern production model right now ends up with around half of the food produced expiring/thrown away anyway.

As long as our food is mainly high-fructose corn syrup and highly processed grain we're in big trouble.

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #81
JonW
Six Point

Quote:
We are using natural selection. The people that can use these products on label with proper ppe live. The idiots that can't get cancer and die.

So let's take the stuff that people who don't use proper PPE die from and put it on all our food.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #82
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
How are you terminating the cover crop?
Roller crimper

See it on my thread
elgato is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #83
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Quote:
We've created this monster and driven small farmers out of business in favor of monstrous factory farming operations. Who would have thought that our largest pork producer would be owned by the Chinese and receiving bailout money from our government? The fact that so few control such a large portion of our food production is alarming at the very least.
This has gone on to the point that supply and demand donít work anymore. You canít vote with your dollars if the handful of producers donít provide the consumer with the product they want. Unless you shop at the flagship H-E-B or Whole Foods only, itís basically impossible to purchase only organic/ grass fed/ free range.

That being said, local farming and organic farming have been increasing steady for quite some time now. As more people who buy local and organic (or donít) the markets will be able to better dictate what is sold. As with any market, those producers that pay attention and get ahead of the growing trend will benefit, while those who donít will fall behind.
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #84
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

Quote:

We sucked termites off a stick naked.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #85
JonW
Six Point

And to make it worse you have the government subsidizing the factory farming/CAFO industry while regulating the family farmer to the point he can't produce and sell, much less compete.

The govt regulation is set by politicians, so you end up with confusing definitions and labels. This has many well-intentioned consumers spending more money on marginally better foods that funnel even more money into the factory farm industry. Consumers that care have to really educate themselves on labels such as organic, cage-free, natural, etc. Most "organic" or "cage-free" poultry spend their lives in CAFO barns, for example. Same with pork. Sanderson Farms is in court right now defending their "natural" label while using medications, antibiotics, etc.

Old 12-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #86
skinsfan
Four Point

The “family farmer” is alive and well. I deal with well over 250 farms south of Corpus Christi alone. Gotta back this stuff with facts fellas.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #87
JonW
Six Point

Quote:
There were fewer people in the world. Herbicides like round up are a must in todayís ag. I have quite a bit of first hand experience. The majority of people who are employed in this industry or have REAL WORLD experience will agree. The cost of production without GMOís would price the majority of the worlds inhabitants from eating.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I respectfully disagree.
I suspect you work in the chemical industry of agriculture? If so, I would expect that the majority of people who are employed in that industry would agree that RoundUp is a must.

Fortunately there is a growing number of farmers who have proven that RoundUp is NOT a must. They're actually more profitable than their neighbors because they don't spend money on RoundUp (or chemical fertilizer for that matter).
Old 12-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #88
2coolforschool
Banned!!!

Big ag is one of the largest welfare recipients in this country.
2coolforschool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #89
JonW
Six Point

Default Roundup (glyphosate)

Quote:
I've been to Joels farm. He is one of my mentors

I haven't been to his farm, but also one of my mentors. He and men like Gabe Brown and Ray Archuleta completely changed my way of thinking. One of the reasons I took a break from truck farming produce was the effect chemicals and tillage were having on my ground (Pigweed is a good example). Now that I'm rotating beef, pork, and poultry I'm ready to try it again.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:18 PM   #90
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Personally I am more worried about the food that is imported into this country from foreign countries that have no regs.. We have no idea what we are being subjected to when eating that are we have no way of knowing that it is imported..
I watched a documentary on the imported seafood industry and the amount that enters this country and that was failing inspection was phenomenal..

80% that was inspected failed but the FDA only has enough man power to inspect roughly 10%. So 80% of only 10% fails... the other 90% makes to Americas table...….

Im sure the imported beef market isn't much better....

In the mean time we need to bring back Chlordane(a lot of you youngins have never heard of this)for a few years to eradicate the fire ants..
It's no different here. Our food is no better, cleaner, or healthier. The FDA could care less.
Like when they said no farm raised shrimp in US because of mercury. What do they do, move all the farms to overseas, farm shrimp full of mercury, and ship it back over here.
The FDA is not trying to protect you or make food safer in anyway, it's quite the opposite.
The number 1 cause of death in America is Heart Disease. It's PREVENTABLE in something like 85% of cases. Number 1 cause, our food. Type 2 Diabetes, the most common, 100% preventable, number 1 cause our food. The ADA list foods/meals on their website for those with diabetes. These foods/meals have been shown to cause or hasten diabetes .
Today's food is no healthier than smoking a cigarette.
The amount of plastic in food, is mind boggling in itself.
No regulatory commission of the US government cares about your health.
The biggest problem is Americans as a whole, simply do not care.
Try something different because we are destroying the environment, not on your life buddy, as has already been evidenced in this thread.
Also I found out I'm a snowflake, and **** proud of it!!

Last edited by MadHatter; 12-28-2018 at 07:21 PM.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #91
texansfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Do (would) you spray gly on your personal backyard garden that your children eat from?
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #92
Pigpiggy
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter View Post
Type 2 Diabetes, the most common, 100% preventable, number 1 cause our food. The ADA list foods/meals on their website for those with diabetes. These foods/meals have been shown to cause or hasten diabetes .
Today's food is no healthier than smoking a cigarette.
The amount of plastic in food, is mind boggling in itself.
No regulatory commission of the US government cares about your health.
The biggest problem is Americans as a whole, simply do not care.!
Not to hyjack but the mention of plastics in our food is something stunning to consider. I donít think a lot of people realize this. And you touching on diabetes. It has become standard practice after heart surgeries to try and get people on insulin and declare them diabetics. They tried this with my dad. He was never diabetic. But after my uncleís recent surgery, he fell for it.
Pigpiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #93
sandhillhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Taylor County, TX and New Mexico

I guess glyphosate doesnít cause cancer after all...

https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...-public-health

sandhillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #94
Robertt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County, Tx

I dealt with this at my last job concerning California Prop 65. There is a safe use determination or SUD that determines how much exposure meets their unsafe criteria.

Q. What is a Safe Use Determination (SUD)?
A. A Safe Use Determination (SUD) is a written statement issued by OEHHA, which interprets and applies Proposition 65 and its implementing regulations to a specific set of facts in response to a request by a business or a trade group. Requests for SUDs seek OEHHAís determination whether an exposure or discharge of a listed chemical resulting from specific business actions or the average use of a specific product is subject to the warning requirement or discharge prohibition. The SUD determines if the discharge or exposure is at or below the Safe Harbor number. Regulations setting out the requirements for requesting a SUD are found in Title 27, California Code of Regulations, section 25204.

Look at every package you buy and there is probably a Prop 65 warning on it. If you research the items on the list they include aspirin, cokes, beer, whiskey and hundred of other things we come into contact with. If used safely and follow direction you should not have a problem.

Chlorine in a pool is a good thing. It keeps the pool clean and safe for your family. You would not swim in a pool with too much chlorine in it. Just common sense.
Robertt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #95
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

These new lawsuits, about roundup make me think of my buddies that would be on flagging teams for crop dusters, and would have roundup rain on them literally all day every day
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #96
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I have no skin in this game, but I will say living in a standard cookie cutter urban neighborhood me and my wife are quickly realizing the amount of food we can grow organically in our backyard in such a small space. All it takes is the manpower to get out there and take care of it......something most people have no desire to do.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM   #97
mastercraftka
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
These new lawsuits, about roundup make me think of my buddies that would be on flagging teams for crop dusters, and would have roundup rain on them literally all day every day
Yep and when we were kids we used to run out there and chase the planes. I personally don't know anyone that has cancer yet from this.

I think it is more bs to line lawyer pockets.

I do think that home use is more dangerous than the farmers. People go buy 2qts at walmart and mix way more than supposed to. Get a rain on it washes down the street and all ends up in someones water supply.

My 2 cents.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #98
Shortya
Spike

FIRE - Mother Nature knows best!
Shortya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #99
rtjh
Four Point

There have been countless studies proving that glyphosate does not cause cancer, and the lawsuits are coming from California. That is all you need to know.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-15-2019, 11:13 AM   #100
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjh View Post
There have been countless studies proving that glyphosate does not cause cancer, and the lawsuits are coming from California. That is all you need to know.
Ah California again

My buddies had 55gal drums of roundup in their barns, all being sprayed on rice
And sometimes their clothes would be dripping, I also wonder how much exposure we got in the water down the canals and flooded ponds after the spray wagons would come
Or if cotton defoliant is dangerous

I guess this is why the greens keeper would freak out when we would sneak in to fish the ponds at the golf course

Last edited by pilar; 05-15-2019 at 11:19 AM.
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top