Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Hunt In: Medina County
Default Roundup (glyphosate)

A quick intro video on what's been going on. Since I know a lot of you use it . . .

https://www.facebook.com/GenResist/v...2899357067948/

Last edited by Longue Carabine; 12-27-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #2
muddyz
Six Point

Not exactly a bipartisan video
muddyz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 12:22 AM   #3
MadHatter
Ten Point

Bad stuff, and people pour millions of gallons of it into the ground every year. Unreal really.
Lots of Docs, and info out there about.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #4
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

A good friend and hunting buddy of mine, who was exposed to a lot of "Round Up" over the years, has just been diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.. It came up on him quick. Its bad.. He spent 27 days last month in MD Anderson.. Say a prayer for him if you get a minute...

This chemical is a very serious problem and I'm afraid the effects of this stuff will be devastating to many in the years to come...
The GMO crap is been genetically altered to resist being sprayed with this chemical. Then its put into our foods...

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 12-27-2018 at 01:11 AM.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #5
friscopaint
Ten Point

Ok. Ban it then what.........relatively certain that any herbicide/pesticide comes with risks take precautions to protect yourself while using it.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I am no supporter of any chemical but I wonder if the ones affected were following recommendations of PPE?

I had a friend, coming up on a year that he passed, that very well could have been a victim of glyphosate
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Geoff995
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
I am no supporter of any chemical but I wonder if the ones affected were following recommendations of PPE?

I had a friend, coming up on a year that he passed, that very well could have been a victim of glyphosate
My thoughts exactly on the use of PPE. Any chemical is harmful to your body when precautions written out on a label aren’t followed.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
mastercraftka
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Lots of coulds and maybes?? Where is the direct link. Grew up on a farm know lots of farmers and havent heard of one of them dieing from roundup. Several from bad livers due to lots of drinking!
If mis used just like most things it could be a problem. If it werent for roundup and other chemicals the food you eat would be alot more expensive. Pick your poision pun intend.
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
44mAG
Ten Point

Man I spent many many summers spraying fence lines using Eraser which has the same ingredient. I usually wore gloves but I got that crap on me all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 08:32 AM   #10
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

There have been over 1000 independent objecrive studies on it and 1 very biased zero tolerance study. The latter is the only one to supposedly find a link between glyposted and cancer - non Hodgkins lymphoma, which is one of the most common non smoking related cancers in the world.

The group the did the one study - Environmental Working Group, was defunded by the EPA bc of extreme biases and non repeatable "research ". The World Health Organization also said it is unlikely glyposted causes any cancer.

The one case in CA was won by the plaintiff bc his attorney argued that Monsanto executives deliberately influenced their own scientists on the studies and the attorney used EWG "research". Furthermore the plaintiff fell not once but twice into a tub of undiluted Roundup. He did not wear PPE and was exposed to thousands of more gallons of Roundup in a few years than the majority of people will be exposed to in their lifetime.

If the lawsuit had been in any other state than California I'll bet the outcome would have been very different.

Last edited by Dusty Britches; 12-27-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
catslayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
There have been over 1000 independent objecrive studies on it and 1 very biased zero tolerance study. The latter is the only one to supposedly find a link between glyposted and cancer - non Hodgkins lymphoma, which is one of the most common non smoking related cancers in the world.

The group the did the one study - Environmental Working Group, was defunded by the EPA bc of extreme biases and non repeatable "research ". The World Health Organization also said it is unlikely glyposted causes any cancer.

The one case in CA was won by the plaintiff bc his attorney argued that Monsanto executives deliberately influenced their own scientists on the studies and the attorney used EWG "research". Furthermore the plaintiff fell not once but twice into a tub of undiluted Roundup. He did not wear PPE and was exposed to thousands of more gallons of Roundup in a few years than the majority of people will be exposed to in their lifetime.

If the lawsuit had been in any other state than California I'll bet the outcome would have been very different.

Should have been thrown out the second it became clear that PPES weren't used correctly
catslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
skinsfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad/Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
A good friend and hunting buddy of mine, who was exposed to a lot of "Round Up" over the years, has just been diagnosed with Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.. It came up on him quick. Its bad.. He spent 27 days last month in MD Anderson.. Say a prayer for him if you get a minute...

This chemical is a very serious problem and I'm afraid the effects of this stuff will be devastating to many in the years to come...
The GMO crap is been genetically altered to resist being sprayed with this chemical. Then its put into our foods...
We CANNOT feed the world without GMO’s.
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
JonW
Six Point

Hunt In: Tennessee, Ohio, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan View Post

Monsanto would like you to believe this.

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

JonW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #14
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
BS level 10. I thought obesity was the number one health concern. There are 1000s of acres of golf courses and lawn that can grow a heck of a lot of garden.

We just do not want to raise our own food.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
elgato
Ten Point

I predict there will be a landslide shift in agricultural practices in a relatively short period of time focusing on practices that build soil health, sustainable agriculture, less dependency on petroleum based fertilizers, and less dependency on herbicides/pesticides. There are already trend setting farmers achieving record yields with higher nutritional crop content more cost effectively than traditional ag. I believe many current practices are unsustainable

Is glyphosate a danger to man and ecology? Perhaps a better question is if there are more elegant life building solutions for soil, man and habitat.
elgato is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
BS level 10. I thought obesity was the number one health concern. There are 1000s of acres of golf courses and lawn that can grow a heck of a lot of garden.

100% fact . Football stadiums also would make nice hydroponic grow rooms for 100% organic produce. Then we would have real jobs for all them unpatriotic monkeys running around with a piece of a pig under their arm.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #17
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW View Post

Sure, it might take a culture change, but it could be done. What did we do before GMO?

Nations starved. Do a little research on Norman Borlaug and his opaque type 2 corn.

GMO plants have existed since the beginning of time. As a species they have all evolved. Today we have the ability to speed up the plant evolution.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #18
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Nations starved. Do a little research on Norman Borlaug and his opaque type 2 corn.

GMO plants have existed since the beginning of time. As a species they have all evolved. Today we have the ability to speed up the plant evolution.
It is not accurate that GMO plants have existed since the beginning of time. Actually they are a very recent development. Hybridization has been going on since the beginning of time. Gene splicing seed is a much different science.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

If round up is outlawed then what will take uts place? There has to be something for weed control. Like thw products of past that are not avalable alot had to do with using to much and not mixing correctly and exposure no PPE. It won't be lomg before you cannot buy any product for bug or vegitation control fot the average homeowner. Growing food has alot to do with control of bugs, disease and weeds. No easy answers.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
friscopaint
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
If round up is outlawed then what will take uts place? There has to be something for weed control. Like thw products of past that are not avalable alot had to do with using to much and not mixing correctly and exposure no PPE. It won't be lomg before you cannot buy any product for bug or vegitation control fot the average homeowner. Growing food has alot to do with control of bugs, disease and weeds. No easy answers.
Nah, the anti's expect you to go into the fields and wipe every leaf with a citrus oil to deter insects.....
Old 12-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #21
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

Quote:

hate to break it to you, but all plants that are cultivated today are GMO.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #22
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
To me the surprising thing is that there are easy answers that are more cost effective, crop effective, and more productive as well. They are in practice today gaining widespread attention . What will ultimately shift the paradigm is money... not feeding the world, not caring about the environment, not concerned with carcinogens etc etc.The most productive sustainable cost effective system will win out.

Look at the results Gabe Brown is getting just to chose one name. That will lead you to a wealth of creative farmers that are leading the transition in ag practices simply because they make more money per acre with a different more sustainable approach . And yes, the do use very limited amounts of herbicides but with no till, cover crop, soil building, multi use approaches that are powerfully effective and far more environmentally attentive.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #23
skinsfan
Six Point

Quote:

There were fewer people in the world. Herbicides like round up are a must in today’s ag. I have quite a bit of first hand experience. The majority of people who are employed in this industry or have REAL WORLD experience will agree. The cost of production without GMO’s would price the majority of the worlds inhabitants from eating.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I respectfully disagree.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #24
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectxag06 View Post
hate to break it to you, but all plants that are cultivated today are GMO.
Really? Have you researched this? I suggest this is not remotely true.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #25
skinsfan
Six Point

Quote:

First hand experience feeding large amounts of people without GMO’s or Herbacde/Pesticide? We are not just discussing the US we are trying to feed the world!
Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #26
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
There were fewer people in the world. Herbicides like round up are a must in today’s ag. I have quite a bit of first hand experience. The majority of people who are employed in this industry or have REAL WORLD experience will agree. The cost of production without GMO’s would price the majority of the worlds inhabitants from eating.

I understand where you guys are coming from but I respectfully disagree.
I am interested in your perspective as I gather you are involved in ag.Couple questions:
What is the largest use of agricultural products grown in the U.S. for? Human consumption or animal feed? And why?

How much produce never makes it to human consumption because the problem is not production but rather the delivery system?

What is the nutritional density as measured by brix count of GMO products vs non GMO?

I am not a zealot by any stretch but I am also involved with ag and believe the current system is unsustainable for many reasons whereas there are simpler more elegant approaches being developed today that will be far more productive for all .
Old 12-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #27
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
There is, ground covers, like clover etc.... as well as 1000s of other things. That would require learning though, and involve effort, so we would rather just spray a cocktail of chemicals from the local store.
Not to mention, you can patent roundup, not much money to be made in using what mother nature gives us.
They could give agent orange a new name, put it on the shelf with all the same ingredients listed clearly on the front, and 99.9% of America would use it without ever questioning anything. People could be dying and well say, "just pay attention to your PPE",
Proprietary formulas can be thrown in as well. It could contain cyanide and kill you dead, and the FDA doesn't require any company, foreign or domestic to let you know, "This product contains cyanide".
Of all the countries that have banned glyphosate, Merica probably never will.
We're all about pollution here in America and it's only getting worse.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #28
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

When I get to a computer I'll post a bunch of links proving glyposate is safe.

There are herbicides that are just as effective or more effective than roundup, too, depending upon your target plant.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #29
skinsfan
Six Point

I will preface by saying that I do not work in produce but am intrigued by your points.

Animal Feed - Greater Margins, Lack of regulation.

A large part of produce never makes it to consumption 50% is my guess and I am sure logistics/distribution plays a large part in this.

Nutritional density has been reduced greatly by nutrient depletion in our soils. Nitrogen has been depleted because of focus on single crops and lack of diversity/cover crops. There are only 10 GMO crops being produced in the US and those crops are not the only ones suffering from lack of nutritional density. I have quite a few friends in the produce business and this is accurate.

I AGREE that the current system can be improved upon but the reality of it is that it takes time, LOTS OF TIME, and people need to eat now.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #30
skinsfan
Six Point

Without innovative thinkers like yourself things would never be improved upon. I respect where you are coming from and share some of the same concerns but the reality of the situation is that we have adapted our growing habits to meet the worlds needs. I will end this conversation by saying that I do believe that RoundUp is safe but my daughter stays inside for a few hours after applications
Old 12-27-2018, 11:02 AM   #31
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
First hand experience feeding large amounts of people without GMO’s or Herbacde/Pesticide? We are not just discussing the US we are trying to feed the world!
Not when we pay farmers to not farm.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #32
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

You can beat this up all day long because it is in the media but you all still want fuel for your cars and boats, perscription Rx drugs, freon for air conditioning and all other products out there that are hazardous in the chemical process to make, waste after it is made or in using the product. For instance gas has benzene, known cancer causing agent still use it every day. I wish I could find a could bottle of Chloridane for termite control.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 11:06 AM   #33
skinsfan
Six Point

Quote:
Not when we pay farmers to not farm.
Not going to go there. I respect your passion.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #34
tex4k
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Everyone is entitled to their own belief system and will follow that path whether it's the food you eat, your medical treatment, or anything else in life. I'm no different, I'll try to utilize what the good lord first provided for us as far as I possibly can then resort to the man made alternatives as minimally as possible. Is roundup good or bad? It affects everyone just not the same, some people can walk through an acre of poison ivy in their tightly-whiteys with no affect, some folks can have minimal contact with roundup with devastating affects, imo!
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #35
elgato
Ten Point

Couple more points for consideration:
In 2014 roughly 8/10 of a lb of glyphosate was sprayed on every ha of cultivated land in the U.S. The usage is increasing annually. Unarguably it is a highly toxic chemical that is being used in the highest concentrations in recorded history. Unarguably it is showing up on a large scale in waterways, grazing stock, the gulf of Mexico...even mothers milk. To me unarguably this should be cause for concern. I will confess that I am dubious of " scientific research" on either side of the controversy as it appears to me too many hidden agendas are involved by both sides. But intuitively I do not like the scale of poison used on our food.

As I said earlier I believe we will see a landslide shift in ag practices sooner than later. Appears to me the current paradigm is hard to shift because 1) farmers have so much debt it is hard to take any risk of change 2) The large scale single commodity farming in place today requires such specific equipment it is difficult to shift. 3) Much easier to keep doing it the way we always have done it 4)The farm bill along with crop insurance essentially forces farmers to certain crops and practices { I don't get business insurance? Does anyone else?} I could go on

Now , back to glyphosate....and synthetic fertilizer. Both can be dramatically reduced thru innovative ag practices proven and expanding today. No till ag , extensive multi specie cover cropping, strategic animal grazing, pollinator crops all work together to reduce the requirement for artificial inputs, enhance soil organic matter, increase the nutritional density of food, produce more and higher quality product per acre , thus require less acreage for greater production, thus more applicable on smaller scale thus can be used more efficiently on a world wide scale, thus closer to the user requiring less distribution, thus less fossil fuel usage...shall I go on?

And glyphosate will become an asterisk to ag rather than a world wide concern over its health risks.

I'm off to the ranch to go hunting. Best to all
Old 12-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #36
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

What do y'all recommend using to clear about 3 acres of grass/hay/brush for making it into a food plot?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #37
MetalMan2004
Six Point

Breaking news- poison is poisonous!
MetalMan2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 11:30 AM   #38
kingranch
Ten Point

Tons more head and neck cancers coming out of the Houston area... if u have fished the areas by Baytown and notice the smell in the air- it's no doubt that stuff inhaled causes its problems to everyone in the area
Not just round up
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 11:49 AM   #39
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgato View Post
Couple more points for consideration:
In 2014 roughly 8/10 of a lb of glyphosate was sprayed on every ha of cultivated land in the U.S. The usage is increasing annually. Unarguably it is a highly toxic chemical that is being used in the highest concentrations in recorded history. Unarguably it is showing up on a large scale in waterways, grazing stock, the gulf of Mexico...even mothers milk. To me unarguably this should be cause for concern. I will confess that I am dubious of " scientific research" on either side of the controversy as it appears to me too many hidden agendas are involved by both sides. But intuitively I do not like the scale of poison used on our food.

As I said earlier I believe we will see a landslide shift in ag practices sooner than later. Appears to me the current paradigm is hard to shift because 1) farmers have so much debt it is hard to take any risk of change 2) The large scale single commodity farming in place today requires such specific equipment it is difficult to shift. 3) Much easier to keep doing it the way we always have done it 4)The farm bill along with crop insurance essentially forces farmers to certain crops and practices { I don't get business insurance? Does anyone else?} I could go on

Now , back to glyphosate....and synthetic fertilizer. Both can be dramatically reduced thru innovative ag practices proven and expanding today. No till ag , extensive multi specie cover cropping, strategic animal grazing, pollinator crops all work together to reduce the requirement for artificial inputs, enhance soil organic matter, increase the nutritional density of food, produce more and higher quality product per acre , thus require less acreage for greater production, thus more applicable on smaller scale thus can be used more efficiently on a world wide scale, thus closer to the user requiring less distribution, thus less fossil fuel usage...shall I go on?

And glyphosate will become an asterisk to ag rather than a world wide concern over its health risks.

I'm off to the ranch to go hunting. Best to all
I agree. Check out Polyface Farm. The man makes some really good points.

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/
Old 12-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #40
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
What do y'all recommend using to clear about 3 acres of grass/hay/brush for making it into a food plot?
Fire works well if you do not want to use round up.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #41
elgato
Ten Point

Oh Heck, I have one more point as I wait for my wife.

No till farming along with the practices mentioned above actually sequester carbon into the soil from the air. This increases soil productivity and reduces the greenhouse effect simultaneously. Win/win and a bit more palatable than everyone selling their car and walking to work.

Whereas tillage releases carbon into the atmosphere and is one of the largest contributors of green house gases [ carbon ]. You can actually see the carbon plume thru specialized photography in the spring when farmers begin tillage.

Question? Have we really learned the lessons from the dust bowl days when dust from Kansas engulfed Washington DC? All caused fro excess tillage which destroys soil biota and all the perils that come from that.

Healthier soil, stronger more nutrient dense plants, less requirement for herbicides, less and pesticides less ag water runoff[ said differently better water absorption thus less irrigation and less pollution ] ....

Apologies...I'm prone to preaching
Old 12-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #42
elgato
Ten Point

Quote:
I agree. Check out Polyface Farm. The man makes some really good points.

http://www.polyfacefarms.com/
I've been to Joels farm. He is one of my mentors
Old 12-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #43
2coolforschool
Banned!!!

Ag in general as practiced in the United States is disgusting. That certainly extends to how we produce animals for slaughter. Get rid of the government subsidies and it would largely sort itself out.
2coolforschool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 01:23 PM   #44
Longue Carabine
Six Point

This is something I've been following closely for years, so I have several comments in response to what's been posted.

Monsanto has (among its endless list of shady activities) been caught trying to (and sued for) producing intentionally falsified scientific data on glyphosate and other ingredients. Including secretly funding "independent" scientists and organizations to publish knowingly incorrect data and conclusions. They have also been caught secretly colluding with government agencies to hide data and affect regulatory outcomes.

Just a few of many articles on the subject:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...say-roundup-do

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/b...ed-emails.html

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...grant-monsanto

Secondly, the evidence of adverse health effects of glyphosate (not just cancer) have been mounting for decades. That's why it has been banned in over 30 countries. But that news has been slow to spread here because Monsanto has been spending millions to actively affect and attempt to control public perception of their products here in this country. They have also been very successful in getting former employers into government regulatory positions within usda, fda, etc, which has no doubt helped them circumvent restrictions. A previous comment about there being only one study in existence which linked glyphosate to cancer is ridiculous. In March of 2015 the International Agency for Research on Cancer classified glyphosate as a probable carcinogen in humans based on numerous worldwide animal studies and circumstantial human studies. They have to legally use the word "probable" because direct testing on humans would be illegal and unethical. But the animal studies demonstrated direct causation and the case studies of human exposure provided statistically probable circumstantial evidence.

A couple of articles on the many deleterious health effects of glyphosate:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...k3YjJYLIniQke0

http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm#headingA11

To the comments about how we're suppose to feed the world without gmo crops and we can't grow crops without weed killer and gmo's etc etc . . .

Grow crops where they are suited to grow. A lot of water waste, excessive use of pesticides, and herbicides has to do with trying to grow crops in environments where they are completely unsuited to grow. And yes, that means that places like Texas are not suited to grow a lot of things that can be grown elsewhere. We can't deplete our water by growing water needy crops here or poison everyone using tons of herbicides and pesticides for delicate crops. All regions have their own carrying capacity. Some places are lower than others. Most of Texas' is probably fairly low. People need to reproduce mindfully and not exceed that carrying capacity. Do not produce more people than resources can support.

Last edited by Longue Carabine; 12-27-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #45
mastercraftka
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longue Carabine View Post
This is something I've been following closely for years, so I have several comments in response to what's been posted.

Monsanto has (among its endless list of shady activities) been caught trying to (and sued for) producing intentionally falsified scientific data on glyphosate and other ingredients. Including secretly funding "independent" scientists and organizations to publish knowingly incorrect data and conclusions. They have also been caught secretly colluding with government agencies to hide data and affect regulatory outcomes.

Just a few of many articles on the subject:

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...say-roundup-do

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/01/b...ed-emails.html

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...grant-monsanto

Secondly, the evidence of adverse health effects of glyphosate (not just cancer) have been mounting for decades. That's why it has been banned in over 30 countries. But that news has been slow to spread here because Monsanto has been spending millions to actively affect and attempt to control public perception of their products here in this country. They have also been very successful in getting former employers into government regulatory positions within usda, fda, etc, which has no doubt helped them circumvent restrictions. A previous comment about there being only one study in existence which linked glyphosate to cancer is ridiculous. In March of 2015 the International Agency for Research on Cancer classified glyphosate as a probable carcinogen in humans based on numerous worldwide animal studies and circumstantial human studies. They have to legally use the word "probable" because direct testing on humans would be illegal and unethical. But the animal studies demonstrated direct causation and the case studies of human exposure provided statistically probable circumstantial evidence.

A couple of articles on the many deleterious health effects of glyphosate:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...k3YjJYLIniQke0

http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm#headingA11

To the comments about how we're suppose to feed the world without gmo crops and we can't grow crops without weed killer and gmo's etc etc . . .

Grow crops where they are suited to grow. A lot of water waste, excessive use of pesticides, and herbicides has to do with trying to grow crops in environments where they are completely unsuited to grow. And yes, that means that places like Texas are not suited to grow a lot of things that can be grown elsewhere. We can't deplete our water by growing water needy crops here or poison everyone using tons of herbicides and pesticides for delicate crops. All regions have their own carrying capacity. Some places are lower than others. Most of Texas' is probably fairly low. People need to reproduce mindfully and not exceed that carrying capacity. Do not produce more people than resources can support.

Sounds pretty simple!
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #46
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Another immensely important point regarding our "inability to feed people without gmo's" is the fact that 50% of American produce is thrown away before it reaches supermarket shelves for ridiculous reasons like not conforming to average shapes and sizes. This is absurd. Anything that doesn't look "perfect" is just discarded as unmarketable. So considering that alone, we already have 100% more food available. It's just in a dump . . .

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-waste/491513/

There are companies like "Imperfect Produce" and "Hungry Harvest" that are trying to combat this idiocy by delivering these mildly "imperfect" produce items to people's doors at around 30% less in price than their average grocery store cost. It's a great idea.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #47
friscopaint
Ten Point

I guess if you're willing to risk your farm and livelihood on some practices that might work versus the practices you use and know work then feel free. I for one assure you my family won't. Always easier to risk somebody else's farm than your own, that would be assuming you had one to lose. I guess we could attempt to reason with the army worms and ask them to behave next time rather than hit with Bifen, or we could just burn the field to kill the army worms, of course we lose the hay and wheat crop but that's a risk you are willing us to take.......farmers aren't stupid and have a pile of capital invested at risk, if you can prove a method to save money (diesel, chemical, etc) and result in an equal or greater yield they would all over it, fact is there isn't currently a viable alternative than current herbicides and pesticides other than genetically changing crops to become more resistant but then we can whine about the genetic engineering since we should all just be planting the same maize that the Indians did........
Old 12-27-2018, 03:32 PM   #48
8mpg
Ten Point

Im going to keep using it and use my brain for a little common sense.
8mpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #49
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

We put out probably 1000+ gallons a year. It ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.

Good stuff
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #50
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscopaint View Post
I guess if you're willing to risk your farm and livelihood on some practices that might work versus the practices you use and know work then feel free. I for one assure you my family won't. Always easier to risk somebody else's farm than your own, that would be assuming you had one to lose. I guess we could attempt to reason with the army worms and ask them to behave next time rather than hit with Bifen, or we could just burn the field to kill the army worms, of course we lose the hay and wheat crop but that's a risk you are willing us to take.......farmers aren't stupid and have a pile of capital invested at risk, if you can prove a method to save money (diesel, chemical, etc) and result in an equal or greater yield they would all over it, fact is there isn't currently a viable alternative than current herbicides and pesticides other than genetically changing crops to become more resistant but then we can whine about the genetic engineering since we should all just be planting the same maize that the Indians did........
So to clarify, as far as roundup and gmo's go, we're not talking about making the crops resistant to to insects, heat, cold, drought, etc, we're talking about making the crops resistant to roundup, so that food can be covered with it and absorb it without dying, and then humans ultimately eat it. That's a big difference. I'm all for naturally selecting certain traits through breeding programs, hybridization, and MAYBE some genetic modification for things like drought. I say maybe because it isn't simple. Genes are tied together and when you screw with some you often mess up something else. And then there is ALWAYS the risk of said gmo escaping and contaminating other crops.

I don't disagree with you that the alternative is a lower yield. But if it is made illegal, the market compensates. With less produce available, the price slightly increases. So it is unlikely that farmers would suffer. And if the array of negative health effects in the previous links I posted are indeed correct (seems more and more that they are), then paying a little bit more for an ear of corn is a preferable alternative.