Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #201
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Thanks so much for the good info Bear. That boat seat is really sweet. My poor old hurt back would probably enjoy sitting on something like that way better than those little bitty ones they usually put on kayaks. Sounds like a reasonable price for a nice rig like yours.
quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #202
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post

My replacement yak showed up and I spent yesterday rigging it up a bit... Installed a few loops, tie down cleat, and installed my fish finder and transducer --- well, and threw a few stickers on it.... Can't wait to try her out
Your boat looks great, congrats Bear.
No help on a name.
But I'm game for a coast run and we can get fish slime all over it.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #203
Jaycar85
Ten Point

Hunt In: Salado/moffat

names
old yeller or BAMF
Jaycar85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2015, 09:18 PM   #204
bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle of Texas

Reckon it works . Maiden voyage complete along with the first fish
bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #205
ThwackAttack
Four Point

Hunt In: Don't know yet, new to TX

I like your yak.

Glad you had a successful maiden voyage!
ThwackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #206
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2015, 06:31 PM   #207
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #208
bear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle of Texas

Need some fish finder transducer ideas... I mounted my lowrance elite 4x transducer to the hull because I like how everything is out of the way. It worked well the first time out but this evening it continued to register 60ft no matter what I did --- I used the marine goop and a transducer pad to hold it to the hull---
bear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #209
twobanger
Eight Point

Would one of these work?

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...cer-Mount.html

If it wont, there are a bunch of YouTube videos.
twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #210
Yelladog
Ten Point

Finally put few fish in my lure this morning fishing Lady bird lake.
Yelladog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #211
Chad_E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado Co.

Bit late, but here are a few shots from our annual yak trip. This year we when down the Devils. This was our second time down the Devils. She doesn't disappoint.

This year we put in at Del Norte (River Mi. ~15.5) and spent 3 nights/4 days on the water to get down to Big Satan (River Mi ~30). That's about 15 miles in 4 days. We took it easy this year and it was much more enjoyable. We were able to fish as much as we wanted and still make camp with plenty of daylight.

Group pic at Dolan Falls
Name:  2015-04-08 13.40.00.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  89.0 KB

Here is a little video from Three Tiers rapid. All but one of us made it down without a problem. But the one that didn't got turtled and almost hit his head on a boulder. Luckily he used his hand to keep from smacking his head. His thumb paid the price as it was split open pretty bad. Took a bit to stop the bleeding but luckily it wasn't bad enough to need stiches. Between YouTube and video from a camera, the quality is not the greatest. Sure it is not the most intense rapid, but it sure feels like it when you are in the moment. Actually if there was more flow it would be much easier. The low flow can cause your stern to get hung up and trying to balance on 1" of plastic is impossible so you can roll quickly if you don't carry enough speed through the drops.

Camp for night one. We actually utilized the gradient boundary for this one. The other two nights we camped on islands. Got a pretty good shower that night that came out of Mexico. Pretty cool to watch the storm roll in that night over the "Texas mountain". Found out rather quickly that our tent was in a small depression in the rock slab. Didn't bother me that night since I was on my sleeping pad, but took a while to dry things out the next morning.
Name:  2015-04-09 06.29.00.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  68.5 KB

This is a picture of what ended up being big bass for the trip. Registered just over 3 lbs. Not bad for a smallie. We were told before launching by the outfitter that in the previous years they typically will link into a few really big ones but they weren't catching them this year.
Name:  2015-04-09 08.40.01.jpg
Views: 1386
Size:  70.3 KB

This is a pic of me and one of the numerous 2 lb smallies I caught. She ended up being diner along with a couple others.
Name:  2015-04-09 09.14.00.jpg
Views: 1385
Size:  62.1 KB

For those that haven't been this is a pic of the water clarity. Exceptional! This water is right around 4 foot deep.
Name:  2015-04-09 14.39.01.jpg
Views: 1381
Size:  51.7 KB

Another 2 lber...
Name:  2015-04-10 10.36.05.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  73.9 KB

And I took home the trophy for 2015! Each trip we decide on what basis the trophy is handed out. This year is was best stringer of three (any bass). I think my stringer was 7 lb 12 oz or something close to that. There were a few big fish that were lost by all parties, but that is all it took this year.
Name:  2015-04-11 16.21.07.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  75.5 KB
Chad_E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #212
Jaycar85
Ten Point

Wow nice trip thanks for sharing
Old 06-25-2015, 06:39 AM   #213
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Thanks for sharing sounds like an awesome trip. Haven't got to take my new to me kayak out fishing yet. Working on rigging it and some house projects. Did get my rack built. Couldn't get past the price tag on specialty racks. Couple boat fenders and a pool noodle and I'm set. Plan to add shelves above.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435232471.892239.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  341.5 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435232489.658482.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  361.3 KB
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2015, 10:47 AM   #214
dhays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County

Here are a few pictures of my Nucanoe, Old Town kayak, and 16 ft Dolphin canoe. On my trailer I built, and on the water. Love em!
Attached Images

dhays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #215
hoghunter69
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for one

i bought a kayak last year, enjoyed it but not something for someone with heart problems, i had to sell it and thats when the buyer told me about t.b.h miss fishing but the kayak was just to much for me
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #216
quarterback
Pope & Young

ttt

I am definitely going to get myself a kayak. What is the best/most reasonable place to go in the DFW area? Does anyone know of a used sit on top for sale?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #217
Jaycar85
Ten Point

The wife works tomorrow so I think I'm going to go fishing, any one els heading out? I would like to fish the San Marcus but don't know the ropes Text me if any one wants to hit it up tomorrow or some other cold river 956 245 2300
Old 07-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #218
Leonhogboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell Co, Lee Co, Idaho, & Anywhere invited

Hogboy getting it done today in the tandem.

Name:  26 red Gary tbh.jpg
Views: 1273
Size:  170.9 KB
Leonhogboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2015, 07:54 AM   #219
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Still working on my rigging waiting to be able to go fish. My anchor line management idea. Piece of a cutting board with 100 foot of para cord. Let out length you need and wrap around the zig zag cleat. Hole in the board lets me clip on a line or yak gear bungee to attach at the boat. Carabiner on the line attaches to anchor chain so I can change anchors as needed. Ball bungee keeps it neat in the crate. Cheap and simple.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436273763.852917.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  314.7 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436273788.272770.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  306.7 KB
TexasBob is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #220
CrossTimbers
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

From my overnight trip last week.
CrossTimbers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #221
Jaycar85
Ten Point

Any one else not being able to hit their honey hole due the fact they are letting so much water out of the spillways?
Old 07-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #222
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycar85 View Post
Any one else not being able to hit their honey hole due the fact they are letting so much water out of the spillways?
Right here brother...in the Brazos
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #223
Jaycar85
Ten Point

"Man" where at on the Brazos r u fishing? All the places are muddy as all get out close to temple. What you fish n for??
Old 07-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #224
helim83
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any and everywhere i can!

Following,

I just got me a Cobra about a month ago and love it! the DIY possibilities are endless!
helim83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #225
dropem
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt Co.

Quote:
Me too. Can't wait to be able to get back into the Elm Fork.
dropem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #226
Jaycar85
Ten Point

Well my main spot was still running strong so I had to find a new place to fish. Found a nice spot in Georgetown water was cold and fishing was good will b going back.

Caught more but didn't want to get pic heavy. Man it felt good to get back out on the water
Old 08-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #227
AgTeacher2
Six Point

Hunt In: Still looking

Anyone know where I could rent one in dfw for the day to try it out. I would like to get one but would prefer to spend the day or 1/2 a day on the water in one to try it out first. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
AgTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #228
Fig
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgTeacher2 View Post
Anyone know where I could rent one in dfw for the day to try it out. I would like to get one but would prefer to spend the day or 1/2 a day on the water in one to try it out first. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
What kind are you looking for? I have a Jackson Big Rig and my wife has a Perception Pescador. Don't know where you want to try one out, but I would let you paddle both and see if you are interested.
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #229
AgTeacher2
Six Point

I'm looking for a sit on top fishing style. Anything past that I haven't really thought about. Would really like to just get on the water and see if it's something I think I would continue to use
Old 08-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #230
Fig
Ten Point

Quote:
I'm looking for a sit on top fishing style. Anything past that I haven't really thought about. Would really like to just get on the water and see if it's something I think I would continue to use
How big a boy are you? That may limit or expand your choices. My number is 817-eight five one-5050 if you want to call/text and we can get something figured out. I am not an expert, but I will help in any way I can.
Fig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2015, 05:11 PM   #231
AgTeacher2
Six Point

5'11" 220, not that big, would love one that I could stand up in but that is not a must. My in laws are in town tonight and we are gonna grab a steak at cattlemans but I will try to touch base with you tomorrow. Thanks for the help
Old 08-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #232
twobanger
Eight Point

Quote:
http://www.kayakinstruct.com out of Rowlett rents kayaks. I've never been there, so I don't know if they are good to go or not.
twobanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #233
Jaycar85
Ten Point

What is everyone using to measure their fish? Tape measure? One of those things you lay them in? Anything homemade? Just looking for some ideas tiered of laying it against my leg and making a mental note for later. I was thinking of just notching some marks in the kayak I hate taking stuff with me when I fish so less is better
Old 08-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #234
AgBass01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cuero, Brownwood

Man, how did I miss this thread. Wife and I just bought perception pescadors 2 weeks ago. Haven't done any fishing or any upgrades to them yet. Just enjoying being out on the water.

AgBass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #235
dropem
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hunt Co.

Quote:
What is everyone using to measure their fish? Tape measure? One of those things you lay them in? Anything homemade? Just looking for some ideas tiered of laying it against my leg and making a mental note for later. I was thinking of just notching some marks in the kayak I hate taking stuff with me when I fish so less is better
I ran into this problem on Saturday. Caught a crappie and had no way to measure it. I'm thinking about getting a ruler and mounting it to the side.
dropem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #236
Nado
Eight Point

Anyone run off shore to the rigs or BTB (Beyond the Breakers)? Ive been wanting to go but just havent found any time yet.
Nado is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #237
Roger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Collingsworth

Quote:
My son and I both have measuring tape stickers affixed to the top of one side of the yak so we can lay the fish along it quickly and get a measurement. Have to keep the fish grabber or hand grip on it so you don't lose it overboard. A measuring device to lay the fish in across your lap would be nice, but I have enough junk cluttering my boat. We also have certain rods with measurement marks on them.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #238
Roger
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Collingsworth

Quote:
5'11" 220, not that big, would love one that I could stand up in but that is not a must. My in laws are in town tonight and we are gonna grab a steak at cattlemans but I will try to touch base with you tomorrow. Thanks for the help
Since standing is a desire, look at something like a Wilderness Systems Ride. My Ride 115 is made for standing. Super stable with flat bottom to stand on. It is slower than a sleeker hulled yak, however, but I haven't had a problem. I don't actually stand in mine but I wanted it for the stability and weight capacity in a yak short enough to easily haul in the truck bed. If you plan to paddle a lot of miles each trip you probably want something longer and sleeker.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #239
tx07
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nado View Post
Anyone run off shore to the rigs or BTB (Beyond the Breakers)? Ive been wanting to go but just havent found any time yet.
Better have people with you and some gear such and marine radio.
Not a good idea for first timer to just go out.Also you need to put your kayak in the surf and try paddling out and re entry a few time without gear and then with gear.
tx07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #240
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Quote:
I have a measuring tape sticker on the back of my rod. I also sometimes carry a "golden rule". Nothing worse than trying to measure a fish on the side of the yak and having it flop loose into the water. I generally don't keep anything that is close to the limit anyway so I seldom measure fish. Mr green jeans loves to write those expensive little slips of paper!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM   #241
fishingsetx
Ten Point

Hunt In: silsbee and evadale, tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat07 View Post
Better have people with you and some gear such and marine radio.
Not a good idea for first timer to just go out.Also you need to put your kayak in the surf and try paddling out and re entry a few time without gear and then with gear.
TKF BTB forum is a great resource for this!
fishingsetx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 02:54 PM   #242
bowhunterchris
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes, Western DeWitt County Wildlife Management

I have marks (tape) on my poles at 10" (crappie) 12" (catfish) and 14" (LMB)
bowhunterchris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #243
R Dubya
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterchris View Post
I have marks (tape) on my poles at 10" (crappie) 12" (catfish) and 14" (LMB)
^^ I used my daughters nail polish, works great
R Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 05:09 PM   #244
quarterback
Pope & Young

Just got back from Academy. Ended up buying the Perception Pescador. I've been eyeing that kayak since everyone started talking them up here. Must've been my lucky day because I got 20% off because the yak is missing a rubber cover for the hole behind the seat. Woo Hoo!! Gonna take it out for some pond fly rod fishing this evening.

So....anyone know where I can get that rubber cover?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #245
MacYak
Six Point

Hunt In: Montague County

I run the slayer 12 currently but have had many. Few pics

MacYak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #246
MacYak
Six Point

Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #247
MacYak
Six Point

Old 08-03-2015, 05:41 PM   #248
MacYak
Six Point

Video I made of the Devils

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/HkhEX83zuwU
Old 08-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #249
MacYak
Six Point

Old 08-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #250
AgTeacher2
Six Point

Looks like fun. I think I need a new toy!