Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #51
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I used the Harvest option tag estimator on the website.

It's saying I will have 7 buck tags and 15 antlerless tags for my place.

The 7 bucks would be a hard sell to my members. The doe tags shouldn't be an issue. I guess I could do doe only this first year, and start filling out Harvest logs this season.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #52
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post

The 7 bucks would be a hard sell to my members. The doe tags shouldn't be an issue. I guess I could do doe only this first year, and start filling out Harvest logs this season.
I would go with it. That's a good allotment.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 06:13 AM   #53
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
So do hunters shoot the deer and then come to camp or a designated location where the permits are kept? Do you pass out some to hunters to use? How does it literally work as far as a hunter shooting the deer and me needing to give him the permit? I assume a hunter can't bring the deer to camp without the permit on it. Same as a regular tag right?
We have a location where all the tags are kept, 1st come 1st serve. Retrieve the tag from the designated location, track the deer and tag it. It isn't necessary that you keep them on your person, just make sure you sign them.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #54
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstalker92 View Post
Say you fill all 10 of the mld issued doe tags. Can you still use your personal tags to take a doe? Or are your strictly limited to only taking deer off the property equal to the number of issues mld tags?
You can only use the tags issued for that property. If the property you are hunting is under mldp then those tags are used and only those tags. If they issue 8 doe tags and 8 get killed then thats it for that season. You could use your license tags on another property thats not under mldp.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #55
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Ok. I was afraid one of my hunters would get in trouble if the GW stopped them before they got to camp with an untagged deer.

Found where they cover it:

All deer harvested under the authority of MLDP must be immediately tagged with a MLDP tag by the person who killed the deer, unless the person who killed the deer immediately takes the carcass by the most direct route to a tagging station (location where tags are maintained on the enrolled property) where an appropriate MLDP tag shall be attached immediately.
This is what we do. We have a cabinet with everything to fill out tags. We have a wire fish basket hanging for the jaw bones. If you ever want to come by and look let me know.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 06:44 AM   #56
MDemel
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
We have 1500 acres in Newton County and use Option #2. The good? All of it! Biologist comes on your property, evaluates carrying capacity of the property, calculates the deer population, spot light surveys(3), fill out wildlife observation reports(ea member) for the season. Deer season is LOOONNNGGG, bag limit is expanded based up on the population of deer, not bound by the 13" rule, required to "improve" the habitat, and I could go on.
Our biologist would rather we bush hog rather than plant plots, we do both.
Extra tags for us was 11 does 6 bucks this year...I think.

The bad? If you don't fill all the MLDP tags you could be penalized by less tags the next season.

Hope this helps, if you would rather talk, pm me.

^^^^^ was looking on getting on MLD as well, dont have enough acreage to do so, the only one i would have been able to do would have been the harvest option which, after speaking with TPWD, the allotted tags from the "tag generator" on the page would only allow 1 buck and 3 doe on the property and i would have to forfeit my personal tags.I decided not to go that route.
MDemel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #57
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Following

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
BigThicketBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #58
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I may just go for the Harvest Option for buck and doe. Those numbers will probably work. I don't think we need to kill that many does however. I'm thinking I can make rules that will not allow rifles during bow season. I want to protect bowhunters. Also maybe not allow unbranched antler bucks until after Thanksgiving. This should give everyone an opportunity at a trophy deer, and allow a hunter to pass on a doe during the rut if he chooses. What do y'all think?

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 12-20-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #59
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Your lease your rules.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:37 AM   #60
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Your lease your rules.

Do y'all do something like that? I don't want gun hunters shooting up the place in October.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #61
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

We still have a couple of gun hunters but most of us bow. About 70- 30. It's hard if you are hunting a big deer with a rifle 500 yds away.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #62
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

If you offer buck tags as first come first serve and there is only a couple to spread out, expect your woods to be shot up in october
jaspermac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #63
Mbbriggs05
Four Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine

Might be worth at least talking to the biologist for your area before making a final decision. You have plenty of time to gather needed data and put in any work that may be required.
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #64
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
Might be worth at least talking to the biologist for your area before making a final decision. You have plenty of time to gather needed data and put in any work that may be required.
You would think.
myway is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #65
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

It just depends on how many Hunters you have and how far along you are in the process. Not everybody gets a trophy. The truth is you probably have only 4 trophies on your lease. I don't know your criteria for a trophy but ours is 6 years and older 9 Porter . Not talkin post mature

Old 12-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #66
Wits_End
Eight Point

Quote:
I may just go for the Harvest Option for buck and doe. Those numbers will probably work. I don't think we need to kill that many does however. I'm thinking I can make rules that will not allow rifles during bow season. I want to protect bowhunters. Also maybe not allow unbranched antler bucks until after Thanksgiving. This should give everyone an opportunity at a trophy deer, and allow a hunter to pass on a doe during the rut if he chooses. What do y'all think?
Early season gun hunting never bothered us, it was liked by those that do not archery hunt.

Why go Harvest Buck, doesnt give you more tags or longer season, can only create drama or change hunters tendencies. Also it goes against your rifle during archery issue, or at least makes it an option.
Harvest Doe gives you longer season, rifle hunters can only fire once during archery season and their doe tag is gone, unless they get more tags. Most hunters prefer to wait until late November or December anyway for does.

I've been involved with it a long while and have my opinions, but id like to hear other thoughts on this.
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #67
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wits_End View Post
Early season gun hunting never bothered us, it was liked by those that do not archery hunt.

Why go Harvest Buck, doesnt give you more tags or longer season, can only create drama or change hunters tendencies. Also it goes against your rifle during archery issue, or at least makes it an option.
Harvest Doe gives you longer season, rifle hunters can only fire once during archery season and their doe tag is gone, unless they get more tags. Most hunters prefer to wait until late November or December anyway for does.

I've been involved with it a long while and have my opinions, but id like to hear other thoughts on this.
Valid points. I'm still in the process of deciding what to do. Our memberships are renewed March 1st. So I want to let members know our plan going into next season before they pay.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #68
Deerguy
Eight Point

Harvest Option buck tags do give you a longer season. But, not with a rifle during archery season.

If you get buck tags under Harvest option, archery season for bucks is still archery only. The rifle season then becomes the first Saturday in November through the last day of February.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #69
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

Quote:

Curious to see how this goes for you. I am guessing at 800/gun on 4000 acres you have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 members. Seems like it would be a hard sell and may actually cause more small deer to be shot early in fear that they won't have a tag if they hold out for a larger deer.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #70
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgHntr10 View Post
Curious to see how this goes for you. I am guessing at 800/gun on 4000 acres you have somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 members. Seems like it would be a hard sell and may actually cause more small deer to be shot early in fear that they won't have a tag if they hold out for a larger deer.

27 members. Yes that's a concern. One reason why I was considering doing Doe permits only. It will still allow people to shoot their bucks as always, but they won't be in a big rush to kill does before Thanksgiving weekend ends. Another option is raising membership costs and having less hunters. I'm just not sure. Would love to hear from more places that do this.
Old 12-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #71
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

It doesn’t really sound like your “needs/wants” really compliment what the program was designed for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 04:06 PM   #72
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Pm sent

Old 12-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #73
Native Texan
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
27 members. Yes that's a concern. One reason why I was considering doing Doe permits only. It will still allow people to shoot their bucks as always, but they won't be in a big rush to kill does before Thanksgiving weekend ends. Another option is raising membership costs and having less hunters. I'm just not sure. Would love to hear from more places that do this.
We went with the harvest option for does only, but even though we can legally shoot them into February we decided to end our season on them at the end of youth season. Even then there is a risk of inexperienced hunters shooting bucks that have dropped antlers. Had that happen a few years ago with two 3-4 year old bucks.
For the health of the herd it is better to take does early (unless they have young fawns). Most of our hunters pass them up until the second week of November hoping they will draw in bucks as you suggested.
We didn't go with the buck tags because it would encourage shooting of legal but young bucks by hunters who wanted to be sure they got one before all the tags were gone.
It seems to be working well for us.
Native Texan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #74
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan View Post
We went with the harvest option for does only, but even though we can legally shoot them into February we decided to end our season on them at the end of youth season. Even then there is a risk of inexperienced hunters shooting bucks that have dropped antlers. Had that happen a few years ago with two 3-4 year old bucks.
For the health of the herd it is better to take does early (unless they have young fawns). Most of our hunters pass them up until the second week of November hoping they will draw in bucks as you suggested.
We didn't go with the buck tags because it would encourage shooting of legal but young bucks by hunters who wanted to be sure they got one before all the tags were gone.
It seems to be working well for us.

Thanks for posting this
Old 12-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #75
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspermac View Post
If you offer buck tags as first come first serve and there is only a couple to spread out, expect your woods to be shot up in october
Not necessarily. Laying down a criteria for bucks taken will eliminate that. One thing you could do is award buck tags to those that take a doe first.

We have a first come first serve policy. That encourages guys to hunt and procrastinate.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:15 PM   #76
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Looks like I can't apply for it on the website until May 1st. I have to collect lease dues by March 1st. Kind of sucks. I guess I will tell my members of my intentions to apply and they can decide what they want to do.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #77
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

I also read under the Harvest Option that the normal Archery season dates only allows rifles for doe and unbranched antlered deer, not trophy bucks. I guess that won't be so bad.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #78
famousunknown
Spike

Quote:
Looks like I can't apply for it on the website until May 1st. I have to collect lease dues by March 1st. Kind of sucks. I guess I will tell my members of my intentions to apply and they can decide what they want to do.
When we were thinking about this we discussed the pros and cons in a group setting and took a vote, with a caveat that we would revisit it after one year. This approach may work on your property.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
famousunknown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-21-2018, 04:22 PM   #79
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

AC, if you are that conflicted about it, talk it over with the lease members. When you do something like this there will be a percentage that will push back.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #80
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Well I applied for Harvest Option of does only. I was only given 13 tags. We usually kill 18 per season. With 27 members I don't see 13 tags being enough. I'm gonna see if I can still apply for the Conservation option with a biologist. Hopefully that will allow more doe tags.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #81
bownutone
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scrappin Valley

Your best option (if feasible) with MLD is to increase cost per member so you can have fewer members. The East Texas lease I am currently on has 28 members and is almost 8,000 acres. That is almost 300 acres per member. We have been MLD3 for many years and do not get enough tags for every one to kill multiple deer each year. Most of the members are dedicated to killing big deer and the majority of our bucks are 135 or larger. We also have not used all of our tags any of the past 4 years. It takes lots of patience and like minded members to make MLD work. One thing that helps is most of the members are able to get deer by hunting other properties to fill the freezers.
bownutone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #82
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

That's a hard sell to tell people the price is going up and the allotment is going down. I have several TBH'ers on here with me, and I want to do what's best for all my members. I also want to grow big deer. It's stressing me out
Old 05-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #83
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Can anyone tell me if I go the Conservation Option can it be for doe only or do I have to be all in with what the biologists recommends for bucks and does?
Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #84
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

AC, for what its worth, we decided to exit the MLD program. I was conflicted about the decision, but it is what it is.

The reason we stopped was because of hunter participation. Only a couple of hunters hunted after Thanksgiving leaving unused tags every season. I can understand the reasoning.

There was a couple more factors that assisted in the process of decision. Back to them good old general season tags.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #85
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

I may be leaning towards this as well.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #86
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith and Sutton County

I have been involved in the MLD program for going on 15 years. On a lease with 8 members we would get 10 doe tags and 4 "trophy" buck tags. We had unlimited "cull" buck tags. If we shot a buck that met the definition of a cull we sent a picture to the Biologist and he sent another buck tag to replace the one we used. All of our tags were kept at a central location so that every member had access to them at all times. We kept track of jaw bones and weighed every deer as live weight and field dressed. All the information was kept in our log-book at camp.

As for shooting your does late...I personally would rather shoot them pre-rut. You will usually have 1 or 2 bucks with good genetics that will breed a doe or two when the rut hits. If you shoot your doe post-rut you could kill the doe your "good" buck bred. I also don't like field dressing a doe and finding 2 or 3 fully developed fawns in her which happens a lot on the MLD program when you start shooting them in January-February.

It's a great program that took our place up a notch as far as deer quality. Just have to be willing to put in the work.

Good luck
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #87
WTucker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Votaw

Quote:
Well I applied for Harvest Option of does only. I was only given 13 tags. We usually kill 18 per season. With 27 members I don't see 13 tags being enough. I'm gonna see if I can still apply for the Conservation option with a biologist. Hopefully that will allow more doe tags.
That is a tough situation with half the membership not even getting a doe.
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 12:52 PM   #88
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
That is a tough situation with half the membership not even getting a doe.
I agree, and will cancel my Harvest Option. I'm hoping someone that has experience with both can tell me if the Conservation Option will provide more tags.

If not I'd rather keep doing it the way we have. At least our hunters will have a chance at two does each. We will just not have the longer season.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #89
Wits_End
Eight Point

Conservation option requires deer counts. They base the tag quantity off of deer/acre versus goals in that area. The conservation option requires a significant amount of work and you'll likely be disappointed.

Conservation = tags based on your lands deer numbers
Harvest = tags based on estimated deer numbers in that part of the county

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #90
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Thanks.