X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the bull!

Comment

The Elk Thread

I did a pack tear-down over the weekend trying to figure out how to “lighten the load” for day elk hunts.

I took out a few knife re-sharpening items but I can’t get it much below 23#. I’m planning for an emergency overnight and proving wilderness first aid to myself, partner or somebody injured in the outback until I can get SAR to respond to extract and/or a helo extraction if needed (The SAR team calls in helo backup if needed).

Kuiu 3200 pack w/ bear spray, hunting knife and blackhawk serpa holster attached to the right hip belt (I covered the holster’s open bottom with camo duct tape to keep dirt or snow out of the barrel when I put the pack down. I also clipped off the serpa retaining mechanism since I don’t want to fumble with the little release mechanism in a griz encounter. Spray in left hand, gun in right, praying in the middle.)
      6.8#

4 Kuiu game bags (1 quarter size, 3 smaller size)
      1.5#

Piranha replaceable blade knife, small knife sharpener, skein of paracord, and disposable black gloves for gutting (I got used to wearing opening up wild pigs and brucellosis concerns)
      1.0#

First aid kit including mylar emergency sleeping bag (I’m WAFA- Wilderness Advanced First Aid trained). 2 butane lighters.
      0.9#

Bino case, binos, Spot satellite messenger, small field book from WAFA course.
      2.6#

Headlamp, 4AA and 4 AAA spare batteries (headlight and Spot). Backup cell phone rechargeable and connection cord.
      0.6#

TP, firestarters, in plastic bags
      0.4#

100 oz. Camelback with water (I have a water filter but can’t rely on finding creeks).
      6.0#

XD 10mm with 15 rounds Buffalo Bore dangerous game loads (The saying in Montana is after 5 rounds either the griz, or you are dead)
      2.5#

Paper topo maps and compass (I use OnX Hunt on iPhone but in event it gets destroyed in a slip/ fall or lost).
      0.2#

I carry my range finder on 1 lanyard and cow call/ wind smoke bottle on another lanyard in my pants pockets so not good included in pack.

It all finishes up just under 23#. Add any food/ snacks I bring with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Bill; 09-12-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
        Just got back Saturday from our Colorado hunt. We hunted opening day (9/2) to last Friday. My hunting partner drew blood first on Saturday 9/3. I called in the same bull 4 times for him before he was able to get a shot off. It was awesome! I had that bull some kind of worked up. Unfortunately, for some reason, the arrow didn't get much penetration and after a 400+ yard track we never found the bull. We believe the shot only got one lung.

It was hot which made hunting tough, IMO. After putting in the work, I was able to connect on this bull last Friday. The last day of our hunt. Now back at the office and missing it already.

[ATTACH]1101994[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1101995[/ATTACH]

For those that are interested. Scored 276 6/8

Nice one!

Comment

Bill, plug all your stuff into lighterpack.com and check out the breakdown. You can sort by all sorts of categories, create your own, and mark things as consumables or worn on your body.

Comment

Good luck everyone out running around now. Here's a little motivation that's working it's way through my belly as I post this.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by justletmein; 09-12-2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              Bill, plug all your stuff into lighterpack.com and check out the breakdown. You can sort by all sorts of categories, create your own, and mark things as consumables or worn on your body.
              Never heard of this site but will be checking it out for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

Thanks. I looked at the site. It does what my piece of cardboard did- totals the weight and gives the ability to look at pie charts and percentages.

But I don’t see it reducing what water or a pistol weigh. Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  Thanks. I looked at the site. It does what my piece of cardboard did- totals the weight and gives the ability to look at pie charts and percentages.

But I don’t see it reducing what water or a pistol weigh. Did I miss something?

It does what you've learned to do over the years, just easier and available from any phone or computer. One cool thing is you can create different packs and only ever have to plug in the item once, just drag and drop into other packs. So for example I have Elk Day Hunt, Amistad Day Hunt, Elk Late Season Day, Elk Overnight, etc... Elk Rifle, Elk Archery, you get the idea. All your items you've already entered and weighed are displayed on the left and you just drag them over. Makes it easier to play with stuff in and out just to see how much impact things make. It also does the math for you, just saves time really.

Comment

I see your point- thanks.

Comment

Mr. Bill, I’ve never been able to get an elk completely quartered and boned out in 4 game bags. Have you found a resource that shows you how to get it done in that few bags? I’m usually in the 6-7 range for getting an elk out

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                        Mr. Bill, I’ve never been able to get an elk completely quartered and boned out in 4 game bags. Have you found a resource that shows you how to get it done in that few bags? I’m usually in the 6-7 range for getting an elk out
                        5-6 is usually my number but they are heavy.

Comment

We do 4 quarter bags and a small bag for straps, tenders and trimmings. I think we could put everything into 4 bags if we didn't mind the weight, I have to watch it these days.

Weather guy is saying maybe a weather change middle of next week that includes snow. Check your forecast before the last packing of the bags.

Comment

Got it done In the gila. Day 5 of a 7
                            Day hunt. Put on 60 miles through some rough, steep **** country and it was worth every mile and foot of elevation gain.

Comment

Great bull

Comment

Very nice bull Shag!

Comment

Working...
                                X