best .223/5.56 for hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best .223/5.56 for hunting

I'm wanting to play with my AR on hogs, head shots would be the target. . What's the best .223/5.56 for something like this.

Hornady Spire Point in 55gr. End of discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd shoot softpoints.

Comment

I shoot the cheapest ones I can buy from academy and it works great on pigs in .223. They used the be $7/20 but now they’re double that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like the 62 gr loads that have hog picture or the deer picture on the box

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Comment

62gr Barnes is just about all I shoot, from coons to pigs.

Comment

I use mostly vmax’s for this type of work

Comment

Any grain that will shot straight would be my recomendation but if you can have someone reload you some find some Sierra 55 grain BTHP's have used them for years and have never gotten a complaint from any animal I shot.

Comment

1:7 Twist and 60+ grain soft points

Comment

If you are going to do head shots, I would just working on finding the most accurate ammo from your gun, not any specific bullet type or brand. Accuracy is going to be the main concern. My gun likes the 52 gr. Speer hollow point, by far the best, for accuracy. So that's what I used, for shooting pigs in the head with, worked great. I would try to shoot for the side of the head, in their ear or close to the ear. Basically hit the skull perpendicular to the surface. I have seen numerous hogs shot from the front, and hit on the front of the sloped part of their skull, such as between the eyes. The bullet will often deflect off. I have seen it happen with 44 Mags. 270s and 308s. If their head is down and giving you a shot, were that part of the skull is near perpendicular, then a frontal shot, should probably be fine.

It's when they are looking at you, that their skull is prone to deflecting bullets. Then younger pigs, it probably does not matter what angle you shoot them from, their skulls should be soft enough, that most any round should penetrate, from about any angle.

I definitely prefer side profile, in the ear, does not matter much what you shoot them with at that point.

My gun is chambered for 5.56, then has a 1 in 9 twist. So bullets around 55 gr. should work best. I found that 52 gr. Speer hollow point, gets the bullet much closer to the rifling lands than any other bullet I have tried. The best I have ever got from any other ammo or bullet, is 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. But with that Speer bullet I get 1/4" groups from the gun. Those are the only bullets I have been able to get to shoot under an 1" with that gun. I keep saying I am going to put a 223 Wylde chambered barrel on the gun, so I can get good accuracy from other bullets, but have not done so yet. The barrel on my gun being chrome lined, it's never going to wear out, in my possession.

Comment

Winchester 64gr sp

Comment

If shooting hogs in the head or earhole any available round will do the trick. .22 is just as effective for reference.

Comment

62 federal fusion have worked amazing for me

Comment

I have good luck with all brands with pointed softpoints in 62-69gr

Comment

What twist rate is your barrel? If it’s a 1/8 or 1/9, be wary of the Barnes bullets. I’ve got a 1/9 that will stack 70gr speers on top of eachother, but won’t stabilize the 62gr Barnes.

Factory ammo I ran the 62gr Fusion, the Winchester 64gr super x load and the federal blue box 64gr. All did great in my AR and killed many deer and pigs.

Having a heavier bullet option for my AR is what got me into reloading. My go to load now is a 65gr Sierra gameking and it’s the bees knees(in my opinion) for 223.

Comment

Working...
                              X