No announcement yet.

Health support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly what my P/T said to help my back issues. I started walking a 1/4 mile and now I’m up to a little over a mile. Along with hamstring stretches it has helped but the more noticeable change in my waistline.
    The problem I have is with “every day”.

Comment

Portion control and exercise. It’s not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good sound solid advice.... thank you.

Comment

Stumbled on to this today, not sure how I missed it previously. So bringing it back up!

Glen, what is your take on nutrition as compared to what was preached to us about the food pyramid?

Personally, I am on Keto now and feel way better than I did on a regular diet. I am just now back to exercising having started about 3 months back. I have made some gains but would like to regain strength a bit quicker than I have. I was pretty much relegated to doing nothing for about 8 months due to a vehicle accident. At 50 +, can I realistically build muscle and not just tone up??

Comment

Limit Processed food too

Comment

Break a sweat everyday---Doesnt matter how just do it

Eat real nutrient dense food. Generally should be something that looks like a food in its original form. For me mostly plants, fruits , seeds, nuts with occasional clean meat and fish.

And yes! Movement. Everyday. Back when I did lots of triathlon I learned how to teach my body to burn fat for fuel thru wearing heart rate monitor and staying very aerobic. Now I just move a lot comfortably. Metabolism still super high with resting HR around 45

Comment

I am 69 - have been running 3 times a week (15 miles total) for 42 years.

I do not go back for seconds when eating. I weigh what I did in high school. I get a full physical every year.

For me the secret has been that I found a running partner and we have run together now for 38 years. We talk the entire run which takes your mind off of the running - also keeps you totally accountable - on mornings I do not want to get up to run (at 6 am) I do it anyway because I know he is counting on me to show up.

In my view physical activity is the number one key to staying healthy. Diet is important but number one is movement - my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  I always exercise but since the first of the year I stopped eating anything "white" and have only had 3 beers. I've lost a total of 12 lbs and most of it has been from my stomach.
                  I'm down 24 total now and have maintained my current weight for the past 2 months.

Comment

Pedernal- not big on the food pyramid. I use a macro method. It is easy to do once a person understands. If I can figure it out anyone can

Comment

This is a very inspirational and needed thread. Thanks Glen....

Comment

beer and whisky are mostly water,right?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                          I am 69 - have been running 3 times a week (15 miles total) for 42 years.

I do not go back for seconds when eating. I weigh what I did in high school. I get a full physical every year.

For me the secret has been that I found a running partner and we have run together now for 38 years. We talk the entire run which takes your mind off of the running - also keeps you totally accountable - on mornings I do not want to get up to run (at 6 am) I do it anyway because I know he is counting on me to show up.

In my view physical activity is the number one key to staying healthy. Diet is important but number one is movement - my 2 cents
                          Diet can have a big impact if a person were to take it overboard, but physical activity can overcome so much. I use an analogy to teach people very often: Our bodies are the opposite of a mechanical device. The best way to improve their function is to put stress on them.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Pedernal- not big on the food pyramid. I use a macro method. It is easy to do once a person understands. If I can figure it out anyone can
                            Thanks for the info.

I have been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week going on four months now. Additionally, I bike ride about 30ish miles a week as well (want to get to 50 miles/week soon). The exercise routine has me feeling very good. Fixing to add running and swimming and will see how it goes.

As far as diet, I have tried to stay on keto. It has been a bit of a struggle to keep off tortillas but I believe I have been able to add a bit of muscle while taking off some weight. Going to start pushing heavier weights to see if I can add a bit more muscle mass.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                              So I offered in another thread down in the posts. With everything going on I’m sure there are a large percentage of folks that are wishing to improve health. I did something else for a living but have self educated for many years. If anyone wants help reach out by PM. Here is the best advice I can give that is simple and will benefit many and it’s easy

Don’t drink anything but water, tea, coffee first off. Second start walking 10 minutes straight every day. “Everyday is key- make it #1”. Also start parking the farthest away from any establishment you are going to ( grocery store - Home Depot- etc).

With just these simple-easy- things most Americans will drop weight and body fat dramatically in a year. Again guys reach out to someone and hold yourself accountable.

Just now seeing this as well. Timing couldn't be much better. I had recently made the decision to get a little healthier. I have always parked the farthest away from the store I could. I had become increasingly less active and was drinking more than I should.

3 weeks ago I invested in a treadmill and put down the bottle, for the most part. I still have a beer or two periodically or a whiskey, but FAR, FAR less and have started drinking water throughout the day. By making a few little tweaks and adding ~30min walking daily, I have already noticed my body feels better and I have more energy.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                                Just now seeing this as well. Timing couldn't be much better. I had recently made the decision to get a little healthier. I have always parked the farthest away from the store I could. I had become increasingly less active and was drinking more than I should.

3 weeks ago I invested in a treadmill and put down the bottle, for the most part. I still have a beer or two periodically or a whiskey, but FAR, FAR less and have started drinking water throughout the day. By making a few little tweaks and adding ~30min walking daily, I have already noticed my body feels better and I have more energy.
                                Hey Chris - I hit the gym in Conroe (Project Fitness …old Gold’s Gym) about 5-6 days a week for 40ish minutes and can bring a guest for free. If you ever want to tag along you’re welcome to come join. I still owe you a big favor!

Comment

Working...
                                X