Best way to insulate older home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to insulate older home

Need some Green Screen advice. We have been fixing up a home built in the 70’s and it seems wall insulation was something they did not think much of. Some of the exterior walls seem like there is none to very little insulation. My master closet on the back exterior wall is like opening up a meat cooler in cold weather like this. The insulation in the attic is pretty sparse as well. Over this next year, insulation will be on the agenda. What is the best.cost effective what to get insulation in the walls? Is expanding foam a good option? I have seen vids where they cut 2” holes in sheet rock and blow in insulation. Is there a better way to do this? I am going to hire someone to do this, I will not be doing a DIY on this. I would like to be educated better on options out there. For the attic I am guessing that having the blown in is the best option?

I think that’s your best option if you’re not redoing the Sheetrock completely. I know a few people who did spray foam in their build and they all rave about the insulation quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 70's home...attic insulation had settled to below the ceiling joists. had a company blow in about 6" of additional insulation my electric bill dropped almost 50/month immediately. And best of all it was free, SWEPCO does a yearly energy grant where they will pay for it until the grant money runs out. You might see if your energy company does anything like that

Comment

I had a rental house with no exterior insulation...we cored 3-4 “ holes at the top of the wall between studs...had my insulation guy blow in insulation from top down and fill up the cavities. Then we simply ran 1x6 across the holes on the wall to cover the holes...kinda like crown but just a top trim...figuring once the insulation settles after a couple years...pull the boards and top off the insulation.

It always tickles me when I pull drywall in older houses and find feed sacks as insulation.

Comment

Drill and fill the walls, blow the attic.

Comment

I'm planning on adding insulation to mine as well. Exterior walls have 4" insulation so I'm going to have someone blow in some insulation in the roof joints and blow foam on the roof joists. Anyone have any experience with foam? My daughter has it in her new home and swears by it.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
              I had a rental house with no exterior insulation...we cored 3-4 “ holes at the top of the wall between studs...had my insulation guy blow in insulation from top down and fill up the cavities. Then we simply ran 1x6 across the holes on the wall to cover the holes...kinda like crown but just a top trim...figuring once the insulation settles after a couple years...pull the boards and top off the insulation.

It always tickles me when I pull drywall in older houses and find feed sacks as insulation.
              This exactly unless you have vinyl siding then you just remove the top row and cut the holes there and blow it in then replace the siding. Its done all the time and the most effective and efficient way to do exterior walls.

Comment

Working...
              X