Building a Roman Tub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a Roman Tub

I've been meaning to post this and am finally getting around to it. 1st I took out the old tub (hardest part). And no, I don't have pics/video of me cussing my way though that. Next I built the frame for the tub.

Then I covered with cement board.

Comment

Next I made some guides to give my floor the slope I wanted.

Comment

Then I poured the floor in and smoothed it out. I can't remember is this was concrete, Portland or what. It's been a while. I followed a video I found online. If you dig around on YouTube I'm sure you could find it.

Comment

Then I painted everything with several coats of this water sealing material.

Comment

Next came the tile.

Comment

Then I put grout and fixtures. Unfortunately I dropped the ball and didn't get any pics of the last part. I'll have to take my phone and get some pics after the girls clean it. We probably should have converted to a shower but the wife didn't want to lose her only place to soak. Why did we do it in the first place? Well, no matter what we did we couldn't get the corners (where the caulk was) to stop molding. We looked for one of those complete shells with no luck. Then we saw the video I mentioned and I told her I had an idea how to build this and fix the problem. You probably can't tell but Put the three edges of the tub at an angle rather than flat so the water can't sit in the corners. Worked out pretty good. Of course I can't take full credit. My buddy is awesome with tile and I was mostly the helper on that part.

Comment

Never seen that before, that’s awesome. ��

Comment

why did you use caulk instead of the same grout you used with all the rest of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
                    why did you use caulk instead of the same grout you used with all the rest of it?
                    The caulk I was talking about was from before we built the new tub.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                      The caulk I was talking about was from before we built the new tub.
                      Oh alright, I'm with you now. Still looks good. My wife is wanting to add onto our little farmhouse that we've bought so she can have a "soaking tub".

Comment

So how are you going to keep the water from leaching through the grout joints? I just had to rip out a tub in my 1.5 year old house because I had too much decking area around the tub. My son would not dry up the water on the deck from the shower and we got all kinds of mold behind the tile through the grout joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          So how are you going to keep the water from leaching through the grout joints? I just had to rip out a tub in my 1.5 year old house because I had too much decking area around the tub. My son would not dry up the water on the deck from the shower and we got all kinds of mold behind the tile through the grout joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          IDK. Mold behind the tile is a new one on me. How did you find out it was molding?

Comment

Working...
                          X