Are suppressors with the money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are suppressors with the money?

Seeing the post about suggestions for a can got me to thinking about one again and I have a few questions about suppressors...does a can make the gun perform better? Do most folks get one simply for the sound dampening or because the performance is that much better. I don’t mean to come across as a smart arse at all, I truly would like to know the benefits. I have buddies with them, some with multiple cans in fact, and they say it’s all about the sound. For a grand or better I’m not sure it’s with it.

Are they worth the trouble of getting the stamp, having to wait a year, getting rifles threaded that aren’t already threaded? I have multiple calibers that I’d like to suppress so do you get multiple or just get one and switch it around? That scenario seems like a lot of work to me and now your several grand deep.

I’m not questioning why people have them by any means. I have gone back and for on getting one and I have had a hard time convincing myself they are worth the money and trouble. I still want one but just can’t make myself pull the trigger on one.

This one will probably get me blasted here but does anyone worry about having the stamp with your name out there if the new party actually does make it in office next month? I know that’s conspiracy theory at its best but I had to ask it.

I’m think ready to be chastised from the masses now. Again, no judgment or smart aleck intentions just want to know from some folks on the GS that have valuable input. I have read many of y’all’s post and know there is a wealth of knowledge on here and I’m hoping to hear from some of you.

Thanks

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
    Seeing the post about suggestions for a can got me to thinking about one again and I have a few questions about suppressors...does a can make the gun perform better? Do most folks get one simply for the sound dampening or because the performance is that much better. I don’t mean to come across as a smart arse at all, I truly would like to know the benefits. I have buddies with them, some with multiple cans in fact, and they say it’s all about the sound. For a grand or better I’m not sure it’s with it.

Are they worth the trouble of getting the stamp, having to wait a year, getting rifles threaded that aren’t already threaded? I have multiple calibers that I’d like to suppress so do you get multiple or just get one and switch it around? That scenario seems like a lot of work to me and now your several grand deep.

I’m not questioning why people have them by any means. I have gone back and for on getting one and I have had a hard time convincing myself they are worth the money and trouble. I still want one but just can’t make myself pull the trigger on one.

This one will probably get me blasted here but does anyone worry about having the stamp with your name out there if the new party actually does make it in office next month? I know that’s conspiracy theory at its best but I had to ask it.

I’m think ready to be chastised from the masses now. Again, no judgment or smart aleck intentions just want to know from some folks on the GS that have valuable input. I have read many of y’all’s post and know there is a wealth of knowledge on here and I’m hoping to hear from some of you.

Thanks
    admittedly, i am waiting on my first. however, i have shot a few. my concerns are mainly noise related. hearing studies have shown time and again just wearing ear plugs doesn't fully protect us. i want to protect my hearing but also the hearing of my children.

Comment

Recoil reduction was a surprise. Ive shot other suppressed guns but never spent much time with one. Some do change point of impact. Most of my guns are on the heavy side and i have noticed no POI change with any of them. I wont shoot without one now or dont want to. The only bad part is the wait and added length. Get one you will wonder why you waited.

Comment

It’s all about being hearing safe for me. I was dumb growing up and never wore ear pro hunting. I can’t even remember them these days. Nor do I want to wear them. So I run suppressors.

Much better for varmint hunting. Shooting with others. Shooting with and around children.
        My 5 year old is kinda scared of loud guns still. So the suppressor is nice.

As far as the ATF knowing what I have? They know what I have haha. I’ll leave it at that. I wouldn’t worry.

Comment

I wish I had one for ever gun I own. I've got one now and plan to buy another before the first of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            It’s all about being hearing safe for me. I was dumb growing up and never wore ear pro hunting. I can’t even remember them these days. Nor do I want to wear them. So I run suppressors.

Much better for varmint hunting. Shooting with others. Shooting with and around children.

As far as the ATF knowing what I have? They know what I have haha. I’ll leave it at that. I wouldn’t worry.
            You recommend the nomad in another thread, how do they compare to the thunder chicken?

Comment

My 5yr old is scared of loud noises too...this thread is making me consider buying a suppressor too so he can enjoy learning to shoot with me. If getting a suppressor means more time w/my son, it'll be worth every penny.

Comment

My ruined hearing and constant tinnitus says yes, they are worth it

Comment

they are just silly. Silly meaning freakin AWESOME. buy 2 at least for your first run.

Comment

ok, i'll pitch in my 2c.
                    will the gun shoot better? maybe! ive seen especially on light guns where the added weight makes it more repeatable, but it does change the way the gun recoils so there is a poi shift.

benefits: to me from a hunting standpoint, i like to be able to hear the smack of the bullet hit the animal, it's a validation of a solid hit. the deep thump vs one that ran off as I hit him in the jaw sounded like when you rattle horns... i like that allot. that + no ringing in the ear or having to wear ear pro is totally worth it in my book.

drawback, shooting long range strings of fire , the can emphasizes mirage from heat. need for a suppressor sock , or just use a muzzle break. as a matter of fact , i had a little 700 yards competition with a friend shooting my 260 suppressed rpr , vs his 6mm creed with brake , and i won two first round close to the bull competition, but shooting the 5 round strings my titanium can was showing mirage and my groups opened up. shooting slow not a problem. timed events may be a problem.

also con is added length ... get a little cumbersome in the box blind , but you learn to manage.

also con , if shooting semi guns , internals get dirty quicker, true on my DI as well as piston guns..

conclusion, i don't regret mine and totally would rather hunt with than without. i'd even go as far as say you can shoot more and still be comfortable , just from a concussion stand point. shooting 30-06 20 times unsuppressed gives me a headache .. with a can i can shoot all day.

in competition , i shoot better with than without for same reason above even though the added handicaps also listed above ...

again , just my 2c. everyone is different.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnBoy View Post
                      You recommend the nomad in another thread, how do they compare to the thunder chicken?
                      You’ve got to understand that the more volume a can has the better it will suppress. You can also change suppression with the baffle designs, but for the most part they’re already pushing the limits. The way to add more suppression is by adding more volume, which the Thunder Chicken has considerably more of than the Nomad. It’s also 2” longer, which is how it adds volume since they’re both the same diameter.

The Nomad L is the longer version of the Nomad, and almost identical in dimensional specs to the Thunder Chicken. It’s also a decent bit quieter. Not a ton, but when shooting them side by side it is noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                        You’ve got to understand that the more volume a can has the better it will suppress. You can also change suppression with the baffle designs, but for the most part they’re already pushing the limits. The way to add more suppression is by adding more volume, which the Thunder Chicken has considerably more of than the Nomad. It’s also 2” longer, which is how it adds volume since they’re both the same diameter.

The Nomad L is the longer version of the Nomad, and almost identical in dimensional specs to the Thunder Chicken. It’s also a decent bit quieter. Not a ton, but when shooting them side by side it is noticeable.
                        Would you recommend the Nomad L as a first can purchase? I’m on the wagon now. My daughters are pretty much doing all the hunting for us and I can definitely use the logic it’s for their safety going forward. No need to ruin their ears like my are for sure.

Comment

this, yes they are great

Comment

Those that love their suppressor and hunt with it, are you using subsonic ammo? I've always wanted one but haven't jumped in because I don't want to shoot subsonic ammo. Are they worth having if you don't shoot subsonic?

Comment

Originally posted by CSanders View Post
                              Those that love their suppressor and hunt with it, are you using subsonic ammo? I've always wanted one but haven't jumped in because I don't want to shoot subsonic ammo. Are they worth having if you don't shoot subsonic?
                              I only run subs in my 300bo but I don't hunt religiously with that rifle.

No problem hunting with regular (supersonic) ammo and that is actually why most guys run suppressors so it is hearing safe while they hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X