New Blind....”The Wheelhouse”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Blind....”The Wheelhouse”

For the last several years, my brother-in-law & I have been talking about making a blind from a metal spool, so I can get in out of the cold tree stand or quad and be a little more comfortable during cold or wet conditions.

Well, as of a couple of wkends ago, it started coming to life. I picked up the required metal, sheathing, & odds/ends that we needed & we used a lot of what we had to suffice the rest.

It’s just under 8’ on the inside circumference & 6.5’ tall. We used old barn tin for the exterior, 1/4 sheathing on the interior walls, R13 batting insulation, 1/2” foil backed insulation on the ceiling, 2 rubber stall mats over 1/2” flooring, black plastic covering under the metal exterior, black paint, & black caulk.

We put it together and left the oddball lengths of exterior just as they were and framed out they five windows so as to help keep moisture out. We also made a skid for it to make this thing a little easier to move. I have no idea on weight, but it is heavy!

This thing is awesome & I look forward to seeing how some cold weather hunts go. I hunted it this evening for the first time & that thing is not only good & dark on the inside, but it’s quiet as can be!

There are a few things we will do different on the next one when that time arrives.......but as for now, I’m one extremely happy bow hunter!

I have to give it up for my bnl, Windwalker, because without him.....this probably would not have happened. He’s one of the best guys I know & I really enjoy getting into things with him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Beardedbuck; 11-22-2020, 11:04 PM.

Cool blind....

Comment

Man I got the hookup on several spools like this and have been thinking about building a blind from them. What would you do different if you built another?

Comment

Use two additional spoils to cut the outer curves to frame the windows out with. We put a metal stud at each spoke and framed the windows off that. Which essentially makes the inner area an octagon. Not a big deal, but when you start securing the exterior, it pulls inward at the windows. By cutting/welding the curved sections in place, it’d help keep it “round”....or at least at this point I believe it would. I’d also use treated plyboard for the roof & floor.

Comment

Cable Spool Blind

Here is my blind that is made out of the same cable spool
          Attached Files

Comment

Sweet blind!

Comment

That is one cool blind right there!

Comment

Cool. I would just cut one window and put it on a lazy Susan type bearing and rotate it as needed. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  Cool. I would just cut one window and put it on a lazy Susan type bearing and rotate it as needed. ;-)
                  Makes me think of the old commercial where the kids where on the sit'n spin. LOL

Comment

Sweet build, should be a lot of deer killed out of it.

Comment

Man I like that blind!

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Nice build.

Comment

very cool blind!

Comment

Appreciate the good words fellas! Shot the bow out of it for the first time this wkend, and that thing is like shooting inside a sound booth......very, very quiet! All that insulation does wonders absorbing sounds, not to mention heating up nicely and keeping the rain out! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X