Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old lab having trouble, need some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old lab having trouble, need some advice...

We have an 11 almost 12 yr old lab. His health has been going downhill for awhile now.

We can tell he's having a bit of trouble seeing, especially when going from light to dark and vice versa.

He's been moving real slow for the last few months. Doesn't wanna do much except sit around and eat. Although last few days hasn't been eating like himself. Instead of wolfing down the bowl when we put it out he will take a few bites here and there.

This morning before I got home from work my wife said he was in another room whining real bad and hasn't been able to walk much today. Like he's having a hard time putting weight on his back legs, takes a few steps and lays down.

I picked him up and put him outside and he went to the bathroom and laid down and has since been shaking real bad. He will get up on his front legs, kinda do a circle and lay back down.

I don't think there is much the vet can do for quality of life, and he hates the vet. I'd rather not put him thru that if we're gonna go thru with putting him down.

What do y'all think? Is it time?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I would say yes.
    Sounds like his hips are gone.
    Gonna be rough when my day comes.
    Sorry :-(.

Comment

Man its a tough decision and you have to make it for him.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think yes. My hound hates the vet too. But I might run him to the doc just in case it’s something that could maybe bring his quality of life back up for a while. Just to get a professional opinion.

Comment

My 14YO lab was having some similar issues. Vet prescribed her some steroids, and she's back to her old self.

Comment

My 10 year old mastiff is on tramadol . Helps her a lot .

Comment

It could be pancreatitis. One of our labs all of a sudden had a hard time with his back legs and just looked off, and that is what it was. Caught early enough it can be treated with medication.

Having older pets is TOUGH. I just had to put my lab down last Friday, she was 12 and I have a husky that is 15 and has been battling cancer amongst other things. I dread going to the vet.

Comment

Sounds like the old boy is getting near his time. I don't envy y'all at all. Such a tough decision to have to make.
                I had a giant doberman many years ago that when her time came, I worked a deal with the vet where I loaded my girl in the back of my old Jeep Cherokee and drove her to the vets office. I then got in the back and comforted my big baby as the vet came out the jeep and gave the shot. I thought it was very cool of the vet to do so and it was much less stressful on my girl.
                I've heard of vets that will make house calls if needed also.

Comment

Man I dread the day and I know my day is slowly coming. I got an 11 year old lab. He still is doing fine but you can see him slowing down.

He cant jump or get in truck hardly anymore. But I pick him up and load him as he loves going with me to the ranch. I will continue to bring him because our best memories were there.

He loves laying on the porch on weekends at the ranch and just relaxing out there.

Comment

CBD oil worked great for my lab. Got another 2 years out of him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Vet recommended steroids when my lab got that bad, but I chose to go ahead and let him pass. The vet said it might get him another year, then the steroids' don't do as well and he will gradually get back to where he was..

Comment

Originally posted by wlgorman View Post
                        We have an 11 almost 12 yr old lab. His health has been going downhill for awhile now.

We can tell he's having a bit of trouble seeing, especially when going from light to dark and vice versa.

He's been moving real slow for the last few months. Doesn't wanna do much except sit around and eat. Although last few days hasn't been eating like himself. Instead of wolfing down the bowl when we put it out he will take a few bites here and there.

This morning before I got home from work my wife said he was in another room whining real bad and hasn't been able to walk much today. Like he's having a hard time putting weight on his back legs, takes a few steps and lays down.

I picked him up and put him outside and he went to the bathroom and laid down and has since been shaking real bad. He will get up on his front legs, kinda do a circle and lay back down.

I don't think there is much the vet can do for quality of life, and he hates the vet. I'd rather not put him thru that if we're gonna go thru with putting him down.

What do y'all think? Is it time?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This is always a tough call, and I would just make sure you feel comfortable that you have done all you can for him before making the call so you won’t have second thoughts.

As a side note, I envision my wife writing this same note to our sons about me when she is ready to put me down. It’s getting close.

Comment

Dog is only 11. Could just have something easily fixed wrong with him. Get him to the vet yesterday.

Comment

We lost our lab of 16 years in May. It's tough man. I feel for you and your family.

Comment

My 14 year old lab was like that, got worse. Took to vet and he said she had a brain tumor. Had to put her down.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X