Think I’m throwing in the towel on this season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I’m throwing in the towel on this season

It’s been a season of bad beats for me this year and can’t seem to find the motivation to keep going out to the stand. Just seems like every time I sit there is “something” that happened whenever I decide to try and take a deer.

Passed on aces good deer early in the season and the target deer finally comes out today in shooting light. Not 15 seconds later, cows push him and his does off. ****** off, I decide to wait it out an see what happens. Cows leave after 20 minutes, does start to come back out and a fcking branch breaks above the blind and falls on the roof. Scared the **** out of me and you guessed it, deer took off.

That plus a bunch of other crap this year equals a bum season

Rant over

If you’re havin steady deer movement and your target is on his feet I’d think it’d be the opposite id for sure be hunting! But I feel you I’ve struggled with late season motivation before as well.

Comment

That sucks and it is frustrating to go out just to have little things happen that result in going home empty handed. But I can assure you that if you quit going you won't kill anything. If your target buck is making an appearance I think you should be out there. Opportunities don't come around but every so often. Take advantage of those opportunities.

Comment

Dang I would be thrilled just to know my target buck is still alive this late in the year.... I haven’t seen a shooter all year but I’m sticking it out hoping he returns now rut is over.

Comment

Originally posted by saltaholic View Post
          dang i would be thrilled just to know my target buck is still alive this late in the year.... I haven’t seen a shooter all year but i’m sticking it out hoping he returns now rut is over.
          exactly!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on having a place to hunt and the time to hunt it. It's awesome that your target deer is still alive late season and showing up. Sounds like you're doing pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
              Dang I would be thrilled just to know my target buck is still alive this late in the year.... I haven’t seen a shooter all year but I’m sticking it out hoping he returns now rut is over.
              Well my “late season target”

2 bigger deer I have been hunting disappeared 2 days after opening day of gun season.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
                It’s been a season of bad beats for me this year and can’t seem to find the motivation to keep going out to the stand. Just seems like every time I sit there is “something” that happened whenever I decide to try and take a deer.

Passed on aces good deer early in the season and the target deer finally comes out today in shooting light. Not 15 seconds later, cows push him and his does off. ****** off, I decide to wait it out an see what happens. Cows leave after 20 minutes, does start to come back out and a fcking branch breaks above the blind and falls on the roof. Scared the **** out of me and you guessed it, deer took off.

That plus a bunch of other crap this year equals a bum season

Rant over
                Note to self....Trim limbs above stand.
                I will go with the above statement, if the buck you are after is moving, I would hunt to the last day of season.

Comment

Could be a lot worse. Could have shot and missed. Or, made a bad shot.

Comment

You’re fortunate to have a place to go. Don’t forget that. Safe hunting.

Comment

Yep I would just quit if I was you. That stuff never happens to the rest of us

Comment

Can’t kill them at the house.

Comment

I have not killed a deer this year. It has been a bit de-motivating at times - sit after sit not having a deer get close enough to even raise my heart rate. However I always drive home happy and relaxed from spending a couple of days in the woods. I’m going out for the last weekend, gotta give it one more shot - it’s a looong time till opening day 2020!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Yep I would just quit if I was you. That stuff never happens to the rest of us

LOL...doesn’t happen to me! Mostly because I havent seen a legal over 13” buck in 6 years and have only seen 3 doe this season so far so every limb in the tree can fall and it won’t scare anything off. Cows would at least give me something to watch! I hunt with my son and he killed his first buck this year (spike) so it has been the best season ever! He still loves going eventhough we rarely see anything and we have a great time so we aren’t quitting! We will come hunt your place for you, it sounds like a great place!

Comment

Well...it could be a lot worse. Opening weekend of rifle season, I formulate a game plan to get close enough to a big buck and kill him without spooking him. Plan works great. The deer comes out at 275 yards. No problem, I'm sitting there with my brand new rifle and fancy new scope. Deer stops. I shoot. Clean miss. Deer looks up at me as if to say "you suck!!!!!!", then runs off.

The next weekend my brother in laws shoots him.

The deer was a true and symetrical 12 point. Scored slightly over 150. That is the biggest buck that I've seen on my place in 40 years of hunting there. Probably the biggest deer ever killed out there.

And I missed....

Comment

Working...
                              X