No announcement yet.

Let's see the spring food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m just use to growing calf’s...they help small traps like that too. What’s the trouble with the nut grass? Thanks for your response

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
      I’m just use to growing calf’s...they help small traps like that too. What’s the trouble with the nut grass? Thanks for your response
      Nut grass or nutsedge grows small tubers in the ground similar to peanuts, it is hard to kill and takes several applications of specialty herbicide. Hogs love nut grass and will typically root up fields and yards where nut grass is and eat the nuts or tubers. Johnson grass roots are another hog food source.

Nut grass looks like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	nutgrass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	24616568

Name:	nutgrass1.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	24616569

Comment

And the hogs will do this to food plots that have nut grass:

Name:	root.jpg
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24616570

Comment

I finally put the last of ours to rest on the lease today. Unfortunately, throw and mow doesn’t work for me unless the seed is so small the hogs can’t pick it up, so I have to disc. I know it’s almost like starting over every year but it is what it is. These plots are fairly small and irregular but we have six of them and together they help feed the deer during the fawning and antler growing stages. IC peas, red ripper peas, soybeans, sunn hemp, and sunflowers are all in these plots. Now, I need a 1/2” rain to make the moisture meet and I’m in business. I neglected to get pics of all six, too busy humping that Kubota !
          Attached Files

Comment

Probably top this one next week. I’ll let it go a little longer before I cut it down. All deer plots I’ve checked are up. I haven’t checked the cottonmouth yet, but the other guy on it called today and said it “looked awesome”.

Drove by my dove field today but left phone in truck. I had sunflowers up @ 8 days which is early for me... thin but coming up

Pearl millet rows were solid! They looked great. I hope flowers are that good by next weekend. Usually takes them 12-14 being a harder seed
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Low Fence; 05-02-2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

What strain of clover is that Kyle ? It looks good !

Comment

I figured it was white Dutch. It stays pretty palatable vs the others I’ve got. I’m not a HUGE clover fan as an actual preferred food source. Good for soil and weed suppression though and gets eaten when tender

Comment

I need quite a bit of rain, we are in a drought again. The deer are eating the bean sprouts as they come up. This has to be one of the driest springs we have had on a while. The sand plums are drying up on the trees . Old hot and dry south wind evaporates water out of my troughs at about 1/2 inch per day
                  Last edited by Radar; 05-03-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    I need quite a bit of rain, we are in a drought again. The deer are eating the bean sprouts as they come up. This has to be one of the driest springs we have had on a while. The sand plums are drying up on the trees . Old hot and dry south wind evaporates water out of my troughs at about 1/2 inch per day
                    Yep.

I was going to plant this weekend, but with lack of rain this past week and not any in the forecast this coming week, I’m going to opt to wait one more week to plant and hope we get some rain coming.

Comment

Let's see the spring food plots

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      You put that one on a 60 and your gonna pop a wheelie. Lol. It’s on a 95 and that’s about the minimum

Theirs is a pull behind with hydraulic wheel lifts. You can get away with a bit smaller on the tractor that way.

The farm went dry after planting.... and now it’s looking like another week before rain.
                      That will put 2 full weeks without it after planting.
                      Hopefully there’s something left to germinate after all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by IkemanTX; 05-03-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                        Yep.

I was going to plant this weekend, but with lack of rain this past week and not any in the forecast this coming week, I’m going to opt to wait one more week to plant and hope we get some rain coming.
                        You can forget that rain Logan, because I have planted. When I plant, the heavens dry up !

Comment

Well, I swung by the farm and noticed that some of the more drought tolerant species had started to germinate... even with a week without rain! Now I am glad I went with such diverse mixtures... at least something will make it, even if it is t deer food!
                          It looks to be Thursday/Friday at the earliest before rain hits the farm again. The real decent percentages for rain don’t show up until next tuesday... 16 days after planting before rain.

If the forecast had shown a dry spell, I would have held off on planting. Hopefully all is not lost, but there sure has been a lot of crow, dove, and pig activity cleaning the plots....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Day #11. I can’t find anything but peas but they are abundant. Checked dove fields and the same sunflowers are up... somewhat ( about 1”), but pearl millet looks solid (1.5”). The amount of retained soil moisture I have in year 2 of this modified buffalo method is insane. And lots of earth worms. Hope the cottonmouth is doing this well... it’s too 5 &$&%est soils in Texas
                            Attached Files

Comment

You drilled those peas, right ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                                You drilled those peas, right ?
                                Yes. Into a mat of thatch of fall plot. Still some millet stalk from spring in there as well as sunflower

I drilled and broadcast some plots at the cottonmouth. I ain’t taking my drill through some of that ground. Lord knows what oil field trash and rocks are .00001” under the crust

Comment

Working...
                                X